Hal Houle has passed

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I just hung up with his wife... Hal has passed. I have a lot to say (and I know Stan and Landon do as well) but I'm a little sideways right now. I'll post something in the morning after I get a little time to collect my thoughts.

His wife asked that I make a post "on Hal's favorite pool forum" and to "let the pool players know," so that's what I'm doing.

Hal was the only pool player in his family tree and the community here on AZB probably knows more about his pool life, adventures and accomplishments than they do, so Sunny asked if I would ask the members here to post their stories about Hal so they can be read at his funeral.

All I can I can say for now is that NO ONE loved pool more than Hal. All he cared about was helping other players play better. Hal helped me see a side to pool that I never would have experienced if it weren't for him.

I miss ya buddy...

Hal_Houle_Shooting.jpg

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bummer. sad to hear. I always wanted to call that guy and chat but never did. :(

Condolences to all his friends and family.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
God bless Hal. Spoke with him by phone about 12 years ago, I salute his efforts to help others.

Martin

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
sad indeed. I never had the pleasure of speaking with or meeting Hal but a lot of people I respect feel strongly about him. RIP and prayers to his family.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Rip...

I spoke many times with Hal and he had a lot of patience while explaining his systems. He was one of the good guys who were willing to share the secret knowledge of the winners..

Thank You Hal....

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hal went out of his way to help many players around the world play better and enjoy pool. He did all of it asking nothing in return except that we pass it on if we liked what we learned.

His contributions will be largely unheralded in the mainstream pool publications and books just as some other heretics were not honored until long after they were gone from the earth but some of us will never let his contributions become obscure.

I am deeply saddened to know that Hal is gone but also happy to know that his suffering is over. You will always be remembered fondly by more people than you even ever met Mr. Houle. And those of us who have consider ourselves lucky to have been able to enjoy some time with you.

My deepest condolences to Sunny and to those who who knew Hal far better than I did. Godspeed Hal, now get all those cupid angels in heaven aiming right!

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this news.

RIP Mr Houle

Dave..hang in..we know that you and Hal were close.

Condolences to his wife and family.

Pool lost a pioneer.

Looking forward to some positive recollections of Hal and his theories and methods.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The thing that struck me about Hal is how he would extend an invitation to anybody, anytime, anywhere, to call him, so he could coach them on his ideas on bettering their play, all without regard to compensation.

Maybe Hal was just tying to give us all something to think about. To that cause, he surely did. He taught us that aiming at something might just help a player and a lot of players certainly were helped.

I would like to read about Hal's life. I spoke to him on the phone years ago, but I know very little of his biography. Rest in peace, Hal, knowing you will be remembered, debated and discussed for years to come.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I for one am thankful that Hal put his heart and mind in the game. His information forever changed how I play and perceive pool.
A true legend in the game and he will be missed but he will never be forgotten
Best wishes to his family and friends

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP, good Sir.

Best wishes to his family...we know our loss is great, but small compared to yours.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Sad news. Hal had me over one day about 6 years ago for a pool lesson. One of my favorite pool days ever. The lesson was great, but sitting with him and his wife for 3 hours after was excellent.

God bless.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really bummed by this. I had more than one conversation with Hal on the phone and and I will forever be in his debt. He was just great to listen to, not necessarily talking pool mechanics but just his experiences with Ralph Greenleaf were priceless to listen to. You would never have guessed his age by his voice on the telephone, he sounded much, much younger. Been a tough year for me, I've lost more than one friend in the pool world and Hal was one of the best. I'll always be glad I made those calls.
Rest in peace, my friend!

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal was a fine man! I will always count it as an honor to have known him.

Prayers for Sunny, his son, Mark, and his beautiful grandchildren.

Stan Shuffett