I could have been wrong......

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I have officially retired from playing team One Pocket with the guys. Why? Because it has wrecked my game.
It seems that when pool players are only playing for shits and grins then all you ever wind up with is shits and grins. Allow me to explain.
Our (team) One Pocket matches tend to be played very loose. Each player, when at the table, will, if at all possible, try for a shot to his pocket and not generally give a big rat's pa-toot where the white ball ends up. This makes for very poor One Pocket.
The usual cure for this is to place a small wager on the game's outcome which will almost always tighten things up considerably. Unfortunately we do not do this because of one guy's religious beliefs, and another guy's lack of money. Like I said, the end result is chaos.
So, from this moment on I am changing my stance on gambling, and am now of the belief that it (gambling) does indeed bring out the best in a pool player. Sometimes the worst, too, but I mean 'best' as from a performance point of view.
Do you agree, or disagree? :smile:

bmoretallpaul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I to have played in these so called partner games of one pocket. You are absolutely correct. partner games for sits and giggles only ruin your game. Players only want to do is fire at their hole without any consideration of the outcome. No penalty in these games. It does nothing to improve your game at all.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm done with any teams. I don't gamble but play for the pride and satisfaction of beating a stronger player. As for partners 1p it does not work. We were doing this in our clubhouse. Rather not play than get advice or watch "fun" shots.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hi, my name is Tramp....
Hi Tramp
....and I'm an impulsive gambler.....:crying:

IMG_3179.JPG

I had a friend in the 80s who went to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting....
...they had a piano there...
...he was a piano player...
...he sat down and played the racetrack theme...
...they kicked him out

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hi, my name is Tramp....
Hi Tramp
....and I'm an impulsive gambler.....:crying:

View attachment 446953

I had a friend in the 80s who went to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting....
...they had a piano there...
...he was a piano player...
...he sat down and played the racetrack theme...
...they kicked him out

Are you sure that's not a re-pulsive gambler?
I had a friend who was a violinist, and a sexaholic.
The first meeting he went to he was asked what he liked to do most.
He said he preferred to just fiddle around. :D

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have officially retired from playing team One Pocket with the guys. Why? Because it has wrecked my game.
It seems that when pool players are only playing for shits and grins then all you ever wind up with is shits and grins. Allow me to explain.
Our (team) One Pocket matches tend to be played very loose. Each player, when at the table, will, if at all possible, try for a shot to his pocket and not generally give a big rat's pa-toot where the white ball ends up. This makes for very poor One Pocket.
The usual cure for this is to place a small wager on the game's outcome which will almost always tighten things up considerably. Unfortunately we do not do this because of one guy's religious beliefs, and another guy's lack of money. Like I said, the end result is chaos.
So, from this moment on I am changing my stance on gambling, and am now of the belief that it (gambling) does indeed bring out the best in a pool player. Sometimes the worst, too, but I mean 'best' as from a performance point of view.

Your post is confusing.

So are you retiring from one-pocket (team) play or are you "changing your stance" and
instituting gambling so as to influence better play with the guys?

As far as agreeing or disagreeing...yes, gambling always forces better effort.
Unless the chap is high on drugs and doesn't give a rats ***.
Been there, done that one.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Your post is confusing.
So are you retiring from one-pocket (team) play or are you "changing your stance" and
instituting gambling so as to influence better play with the guys?
As far as agreeing or disagreeing...yes, gambling always forces better effort.
Unless the chap is high on drugs and doesn't give a rats ***.
Been there, done that one.

That is correct. No more team One Pocket with the guys, or anyone else for that matter.
I am not a gambler, nor do I want to be one, but my beliefs are that it makes for a better player. Or, at least, a more centered player.
Drugs suck. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few guys at the local 'hall will play one-hole for nada and i just don't get it. The game was invented for GAMBLING. It doesn't have to be high but playing it for grins is no fun, to me at least.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few years back a good friend and I used to make some small wagers playing one hole scotch doubles with various other players at the hall. I personally enjoyed the hell of it. I guess what I am getting at was that even though it was small wagers, it would mount up pretty fast if you started taking a bunch of flyers, so in general, both our opponents and ourselves played pretty darn tight, not giving up much if possible. None of us wanted to end up loser at the end of the night.

Tramp, I can see where you are coming from as just taking flyers all the time, well, it would get pretty boring for me quickly. Part of the skill and fun of the game is taking a shot, and leaving your opponent absolutely nothing to shoot at if you miss. Just banking and shooting balls, while selling out all the time would not be fun at all, at least not for me. A small wager will usually put a stop to the nonsense, unless the guy just has more money than sense.:)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Its what you make it

You obviously want a more competitive 2 person One Hole game. As long as people are talking and socializing it aint happening money or not.

If you want a serious grinding out game, stop talking, dont allow idle chatter or simply find a player that wants to play like that, it has little to do with the money really. Its all in how youre allowing the play to happen.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Agree playing for fun with friends can hurt your game

And I never ever ever ever had the desire to play any "team " pool games

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

When it comes to 1 hole, I would agree. That isn't a game I really see myself playing for "fun". When I play it for free, it's because I'm still trying to learn the game and even then I wonder if my opponent would make the same moves or not if it were for money...

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Partners games are silly, to me...irrespective of a wager.

I can't make a ball in em.

Scotch doubles though.....
A blast, and really excellent at allowing a mix of talent to still play.
Sort of a teaching tool that is fun

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to keep your 1 hole game up with friends that don't gamble because of funds, or religious beliefs. The problem I have with those people, is that they do not take the right shot, because they have nothing to loose. When they occasionally beat you for nothing, they have a smirk on their face and think they are of equal caliber. I have a bad habit of doing the same thing with those folks and I hate it....lol. They want to fire at everything and take low percentage shots. I think that I find myself shooting this way as well, because I feel that if I play them super tight, I am giving away too much for nothing. It took me a long time and loosing some $ to get to where I am today at this game! So when I don't have any real action and I play with these folks mentioned above, I think of it as a practice session to stay in stroke, create new shots and try and play 70-80% of my speed.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been a fan of any kind of team pool. I can play One Pocket for nothing but I play it a whole lot better with a bet. That goes for any other pool game I play also.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that one pocket isn't a good team game, sometimes due to the number of tables we have and the number of players, we have to play either teams or two on one. There seems to be more of a go for the shot attitude in partners than singles. Even though we don't play for anything we do seem to play rather tight, with one of the guys I play quite often we get into games that can last close to an hour.
The most surprising thing is a few years ago hardly anyone play 1P, now it's almost the only thing we play.
Just to clarify this is a retirement center room.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a great time playing scotch doubles one pocket for just $5 a man, but that $5 makes a world of difference because it's so much harder to laugh off a bad shot with your partner when they are reaching into their wallet. Even if the amount of money at stake is insignificant, I think there's a lot to be said for the psychological impact of handing it to your opponent when you lose, so I can see how a game with nothing at stake would devolve very quickly.