Shaft tapering?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Dymonwood shaft that is to thick and I would like it tapered to match my other break shaft.

Any recommendations as to who to send it to that has a reasonable turnaround time?

Is a month a reasonable turn around time to taper a shaft?

Sybert's passed on the job and I think my cue maker is busy right now.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
What is the tip diameter now?
What kind of taper to the middle do you want?
You get to pick the first 15-17 inches.
Beyond that, not so.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that tapering has to be done in small steps or there is a danger of warping. Sorry I don't know if that's a myth or not. If true, it may take a longer time.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I understand that tapering has to be done in small steps or there is a danger of warping. Sorry I don't know if that's a myth or not. If true, it may take a longer time.

Dymondwoods are not supposed to warp.
They are resin impregnated wood.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try sending an email to Scott at Proficient Billiards. Hope this helps you out buddy.
Jeff

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taper

I will send my current break shaft with the Dymonwood shaft so who ever does the work can match that shafts dimensions.

Then I will have them replace the black threaded G10 ferrule on my current breaker with an Ivor X ferrule.

When I get them back I will be a better breaker then Shane and a better shot maker then Shaw and you guys can stake me!!!

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Dymondwoods are not supposed to warp.
They are resin impregnated wood.

I will send my current break shaft with the Dymonwood shaft so who ever does the work can match that shafts dimensions.

Then I will have them replace the black threaded G10 ferrule on my current breaker with an Ivor X ferrule.

When I get them back I will be a better breaker then Shane and a better shot maker then Shaw and you guys can stake me!!!

Joey said dymondwood is impregnated, not invincible.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going with Joey

I am sending the shafts to Joey on Monday. Thanks to all for the good advice and help.

P.S. Never stake me. I am not a real good player and even at my age I miss the easiest shots some times when the pressure is on. I hate that!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member

Yer most correct Fats.

Apparently, as Joey said, you don't with Diamond Wood.

The only shafts that I have re tapered, other than my own, were for picky Snooker players. Hahaha. I bought a less expensive but decent cue with 2 shafts to take to Vegas one year. I didn't have a case cover so figured that my cue case would take a beating on the air line. I was correct on that. My newer case came down the conveyor belt looking like it had been at at least 50 tourneys.

I had one guy do a retaper job for me on both shafts. He was a well known at Vegas, I know that you guys would know of him, but his name eludes me at the moment.

Anyway, he told me that doing it all at once, there would be no guarantee. This was long before I got into repair myself. One shaft came out perfect, the other with a bit of a roll, but still played ok.

Anyway, back to my story. Snooker shafts. I would only do a bit at a time and ask the guy to play with it for a while and bring it back to me in a month if he wanted more off of it.

I have made Break Shafts for players, but the only one over Diamond Wood that would be different is Purple Heart. I don't mind PH as a Break Shaft myself. Heavy, but still not as heavy duty as Diamond.

The one fellow, I gave a bit of a deal to as he couldn't afford much. Well, he drank more of my beer than what I charged him for doing his shaft.

Lesson learned I guess.

Do not allow people to hang out in your shop, looking over your shoulder and tell them that you have beer.

BTW Ak, I know there are quite a few decent Break Tips available these days, but I have never been more impressed with a Break Tip than I have been with a Taom. A tad on the pricey side, but well worth it. Generally, I just used a Super pro on mine and a few other players, who didn't mind them one bit.

I liked Leather because I felt that I still had a considerable amount of control on a break. Well, Taom changed my mind on that one. Not leather, a man made material but not Phenolic.

Going into my 3rd season with the Taom. Haven't even had to scuff it yet. Still holds chalk like the day it was new.

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A few years ago the person that I traveled with to the Derby bought a Hercek. He played a few games and decided that the shafts were too large and wanted to change the wrap.

I suggested that he leaves the wrap as is and to buy a 3rd party shaft instead of ruling the originals.

He changed the wrap from spec green to black and had both shafts turned down by of the cue repairman there from 13 mm to 11.5 mm pro taper. It was late night and he was told that the work would be done early next morning.

I don't know if he had any problems with it as he sold it a year later because he claimed that it never felt right.

🎱

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago the person that I traveled with to the Derby bought a Hercek. He played a few games and decided that the shafts were too large and wanted to change the wrap.

I suggested that he leaves the wrap as is and to buy a 3rd party shaft instead of ruling the originals.

He changed the wrap from spec green to black and had both shafts turned down by of the cue repairman there from 13 mm to 11.5 mm pro taper. It was late night and he was told that the work would be done early next morning.

I don't know if he had any problems with it as he sold it a year later because he claimed that it never felt right.

🎱

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

People can do what they want with their cues...but seriously?

Was he brain damaged? :grin-square:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
He must have used a hand planer.
That or an 80 grit belt sander.

He have it done by one of the highly respected Cue Repairman at the Derby after he bought it. I guess they do whatever the customer wants as long as they have the money.

He was adamant on having a full splice cue. Honestly that cue felt and played like crap before he messed it up. It had to be the worse one that ever left Herceks shop. At the local PH he was always bragging about his Hercek and would let everyone try it. Their reactions were the same, they basically all were puzzled about the hype of a Hercek and why he would have paid $3900 for it.

🎱