Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is much to this story that is surrounded in mystery and the details scattered across the globe for historians and enthusiasts to find and piece together - and in the meantime it starts like this...

In 1869, an Albany NY printer and his brother Isaiah discovered how to mix nitrocellulose with camphor which they called celluloid. John Wesley Hyatt then introduced the replacement for ivory and ushered in the modern era of billiard balls.

Over the decades and century that followed, Hyatt pioneered numerous improvements to the balls and quite a few unique designs that are sought after by those historians and collectors mentioned earlier - most have disappeared due to normal use and worn out while others have been simply forgotten and lay in corners to be discovered. Some have never been seen or released - which basically is saying they’re mythical. Figments.

I’ll fast forward to one of those unique ball designs that Hyatt released that when I first saw a set in print, I immediately claimed as my “favorite” and set out to find more information and see if they would be within my grasp. That was over a decade ago.

That set was called the Romanique II. Simple in its presentation with Roman numerals in place of the typical digits. And I was fortunate enough just last year to locate and take possession of these beauties from a gentleman and fellow collector of all things cuesports on the east coast. I have shared that set and story earlier within this thread.

If there are Romanique II’s then surely there must be Romanique I’s - which is what I was searching for initially from a decade back. I couldn’t find one word on them. Not one person had seen or heard of them. That I could find.

Then our very own Rubik’s Cube sends me an email with a mysterious message saying I better take a look at these....and could they POSSIBLY be the mythical Romanique I’s we’ve both been searching for?

Fast forward a few weeks.

I was LUCKY to have acquired them from the owner who had picked them up from a local and long established Albany distributor of billiard equipment. Never touched. Never played. In the “salesman’s case” you see in the post above.

Here’s a picture out of the case and still not touched or polished or played...

I believe these are the fabled I’s. Perhaps made to show and take orders for. Or decide if they are worthy of perusing and manufacturing - and possibly never made it to final production.

I’m still searching for the story.

ef1fe9c8a4479ac38b1441de692c3337.jpg

Here are the Romanique II’s I own and posted a while back:

60d6b5bd706358046dea5be05fd561c0.jpg

My most sincere THANK YOU goes out to our own highly esteemed Rubik’s Cube from England for lending a hand in this discovery and even acquisition. I couldn’t have done it without you, sir. My thanks to you, K, if you are reading this, for allowing me the opportunity to purchase these from you and take over guardianship until they are passed on to someone in the future. My thanks again to you, MK for passing along the Romanique II’s last year that really kicked this quest for the I’s into a higher gear.

Much appreciated gentlemen!

The friends and acquaintances made along the way qualifies the memories of the adventure - and I have made many friends - and many grand memories.

Hopefully I can carry that tradition and meaning forward with those I meet along the way.

More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I was honoured to play a part in your acquisition of these astonishing billiard balls, dear chap.

Just when one imagined the thread couldn't possibly get any better along comes a set which surely must rank up amongst the rarest in the world. Has anyone else ever seen their like before?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
POOl balls

You can request just about any image or logo on a poolball....the possibilities are endless’

You ask and you shall receive for a fee..

Rob.M

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can request just about any image or logo on a poolball....the possibilities are endless’

You ask and you shall receive for a fee..

Rob.M

Hello Rob -

What are you referring to here about logos and images on any pool ball?

Do you have some custom balls you had imprinted and wish to share?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pool balls

The options are just about endless...

Rob.M

Attachments

• B3FB0879-CC07-47A4-8BBE-38D1B685837B.jpeg
    B3FB0879-CC07-47A4-8BBE-38D1B685837B.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 411

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Pastq4u. :)

Always nice to welcome a new face to the thread, sir, I hope you have found it entertaining.

Ah, another proud curator of the fabled Raschig Turniersatz! Enthusiasts like me wax lyrical on their merits rather too often, perhaps, but they are truly exceptional billiard balls. Keep watching this space, Mr P... one or two forthcoming contributions next week might be of interest.

Best wishes,
RC.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
ff50f7e5d60ed60ba51c2fefcce25c56.jpg

Wow I've never seen anything like these. You are correct they are the best looking set of pool balls I've ever seen. How do we get Arimath to make a modern version?? Thanks for posting these.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s a great question, poppa -

I think a “Masterpiece” lineage or possibly a “Vintage” line of balls brought to us from Saluc/Aramith would be a fantastic idea - and if I were in charge of new products and production, would certainly pitch the idea.

I’ll see what I can find out

~ K

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ipoppa33 brought up an idea we’ve mentioned in the thread a few times about resurrecting and bringing new life to past ball designs that are considered exemplary if not spectacular - whether in a box or on the table.

So - for this posting, #752 in the thread, I’d like to see what members think are some of their favorite, iconic designs of the past that IF could be produced to modern standards, would like to see made available to us...

Maybe a TOP 5 or TOP 10 list.

~ K.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hyatt

I think it was Hyatt that made the White ball with the jagged lines, I would love to see a reproduction of those .

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

I'd dearly love to own a pristine set of Romanique Is (and IIs for that matter) but hand on heart, gentlemen, it would be important to me that they were originals and not reproductions. I'd prefer to see the manufacturers innovate new classics rather than replicate older designs. Just my personal tuppence worth, or course. :)

Franko: There is a new version of the zigzags, sir! K2Kraze offered up some beautiful photographs on post 711.

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Rubik’s - with your steadfast and unwavering stranglehold on sticking to the originals isn’t lost with me, sir, for the glorious designs of the past transport us not only to that era of games and technologies but also to that period of the folks that played in the cuesports.

A grand time to be playing the Grand Games.

The dizzying effects of the Hyatt zig zags that were then most likely looked upon as a gimmick ball and prompted players to offer up suggestions of “distracting” and “difficult to shoot” are seen as veritable treasures from the day by collectors around the globe. They were sold in low numbers and very few survived. Imagine the challenges of manufacturing that ball alone 75 years ago.

I think the same could be said about any “fancy” design like the Romaniques that relied upon insetting the numerals and rings versus printing them on the surface - they left those silly ideas to the amateur ball makers. Pushing the limits of manufacturing capabilities have been around since man starting “building things” and we see this today with such things like Duramith 4 from Aramith and Cyclop offerings.

The question I offered up is more along the lines of dreamy designs and those coveted patterns that most of us will never see or have the chance to play on the table - and IF they could be manufactured today, which would be the TOP 5 or 10 that would be on someone’s LOVE TO HAVE list.

Funny isn’t it - how the ONLY balls we can purchase are those that are offered - and made by a man with an idea. Perhaps a team of people - but nevertheless we can’t buy what we dream. Only what’s “out there”. Which is why we see new offerings from the likes of VIGMA and Aramith and Cyclop - with their most recent offering of a zig zag ball. Sure - you don’t like the colors. Or that person doesn’t like the translucent this or the finish like that. But don’t you think they (buyers and critics alike) said the exact same thing when every Hyatt ball was introduced outside of a plain-Jane?

Roman numerals? Really?!! It makes me think and translate to real numbers!

Hexagon rings? What’s wrong with a good ole circle anyway?!

My musings anyway ~

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Admirable sentiments, Mr K. :)

Furniture aficionados often enthuse about the patina of an aged mahogany, the warm glow of a beautiful rosewood, etc. I derive similar pleasures in the deep lustre of a Raschig bumblebee or how the colours of Hyatt Romaniques and Aramith Pokers mellow gracefully with age. :)

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

I'd dearly love to own a pristine set of Romanique Is (and IIs for that matter) but hand on heart, gentlemen, it would be important to me that they were originals and not reproductions. I'd prefer to see the manufacturers innovate new classics rather than replicate older designs. Just my personal tuppence worth, or course. :)

Franko: There is a new version of the zigzags, sir! K2Kraze offered up some beautiful photographs on post 711.

Best wishes,
RC.

Thank you I found them on E Bay.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
If I had my choice I would like a 10 ball set like the Raschig 9 ball set!!! Give me that I would be happy! It shouldn't be that hard to make cool.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
A quick question on those extraordinary Romanique 1s if I may, K2K?

What are their respective weights, sir? Have they stayed reasonably matched throughout the set? It is interesting to me how some early balls (particularly those including formaldehyde in their compound) although varying slightly over the decades remain extremely consistent dependant on colour.

If one took three sets from the 1970s, for example, whereas the weights of each ball might not now be as consistent as at the time of manufacture, all the blue deuces from each box will be a gram lighter; the three 9s all weighing 165g etc.

Just an observation for the chemists. :)