Cues and gifts stolen in Wichita

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Well the Grinch paid us a visit for Christmas.

My wife and I took a 1500+ mile trip to surprise our 2 kids and 5 grandchildren when they were expecting us not to even have a chance of coming to see them.

To make a long story short, our car was broken into on Christmas Eve night in Wichita Kansas. My gps, a couple of hundred bucks gas money hidden in the arm rest console, a bag of electrical tools I took because I was going to do a couple things for my son, my wife's prescription sunglasses, my pool case and cues and worst of all...all the gifts we brought for the grandkids. The only thing left in the car was a pen and a hair brush, it was like they had an industrial vacuum cleaner that sucked everything out.

I know I've got no chance to get anything back at all and this has happened to thousands of people all over the country this time of year and it just sucks so bad that stinkin low life thieves can put such a damper on holidays for people.

The only thing I might have is a half ass shot at recovering any of the cues.

If anyone in the Wichita area spots them maybe they'll give me a heads up and I could figure something out. I know a pool room is close by to my sons house, I think it's called "Side Pockets". I never did have a chance to go check it out which is why
I brought my sticks along. We were going to stay a little longer but we decided to head home.

Anyway, I had a black soft full zippered case that had pouches for 4 butts and 8 shafts, an older Paul Huebler jump/break cue (black wrap), a predator break cue (the first one that came out) and most importantly a Sneaky Pete cue that was very sentimental to me.

The sneaky was made by a life long friend and good player "California" John McCue. He passed away in my pool room 10 years ago and made the cue back in 2001. It's signed...John McCue 2001...in the points. A plain cue with a black joint but it meant alot to me and it played good. He was friends with Joey Gold and when he started making cues he relentlessly picked at Joeys knowledge so he was making a pretty nice hitting stick.

It's a shot in the dark but what the hell, I've felt like vomiting since it all happened and still feel like it.

If someone came up and said "I got all your stuff and I'll only give one thing back" I'd say the stuff for the kids but it ain't going to happen like that, so I'll take a shot on some people in Wichita looking out for some crack heads trying to sell all the sticks and case to get enough for a rock.

The scumbags might have put a damper on our holiday but they didn't steal the time we had with our kids and grandkids. That was worth more than anything they could take from us.

Thanks in advance for any effort.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say is...wow, Steve. That sucks...let's get the word out to all the AzBrs in Wichita and other parts of Kansas, to be on the lookout for Steve's cues. Sorry for your loss, my friend. I know it had to be a shock for you and your wife, and the rest of your family. I'll help to keep this on the 1st page. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Damn, Steve, that is just terrible.
There are not many worse sensations than the deeply offensive feelings of violation that come with what happened to you.
Not just to you, but to your family and loved ones as well.

I live in The metro Kansas City area, on the Kansas side, about 2 1/2 hours from Wichita,
and I assure you I will get the word out locally for you. Quickly.

May you and your loved ones have a great New Year's Eve experience.
I am glad you were still able to enjoy the grandkids in Wichita, and that all are safe.

Will Prout

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Steve-what a drag!

Does anyone remember when someone had an entire trailer full of cues and more stolen from the Riviera parking lot im pretty sure maybe 10-12 years ago? I think there were Szambotis and other multi $K cues in there.

Wondering if he got anything back?

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats brutal Steve. I hate that for you and your family. I know it doesn,t help but its just"things" and they will be replaced . At least your family are safe and sound.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sucks! Be sure and check Craigslist and have your son hit up the local pawn shops. Hope you find the sneaky. Sorry to hear about this.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got home to Wichita, where about in town did it happen, and do you have some pictures, I frequent the pawn shops here, I can keep my eyes out.

(edit) Just linked this to Wichita FB Groups.

Last edited:

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I were closer to help. I can only hope that maybe your car was in the line of sight for a security camera to capture the evil deed in progress. There could be some legal leverage if that was the case.

I hope you can get your belonging back. I know it may be a long shot but you have to keep the faith.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was Joe Blackburn's trailer, and no he never got anything back. The loss was many thousands of dollars, but worse, there were many specialized tools that Joe had made or acquired over the years, that were irreplaceable. I asked him about it a couple of years ago at the DCC.

Scott Lee

Sorry Steve-what a drag!

Does anyone remember when someone had an entire trailer full of cues and more stolen from the Riviera parking lot im pretty sure maybe 10-12 years ago? I think there were Szambotis and other multi $K cues in there.

Wondering if he got anything back?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not want to distract from your frustration and anger which is totally understandable.

Allow me to offer a simple observation that might make you appreciate the situation differently.

You are out property, money and any sentimental attachment but you can still feel those emotions.
That means you are still alive and so is your wife and children and grandchidren....everyone is fine.

The Holidays are a terrible time for suicides, thefts, and horrible on the road traffic accidents.
You had a terrible experience but take a moment to think about how much worse a fate it could
have been. Everyone traveled safely....returned home and presents can be replaced....cues too.

Even my cues are only property and although I am attached to them, family overshadows pretty
much everything in life and you still have yours in tact and safe. There were, and will continue to be,
lots of Holiday travelers that suffer a far worse experience that became a life altering experience.

I really do feel bad for you and your family. It was a terrible thing to have happen. But you're still
around to gripe about it and so is your family.. Bad things happen but it could have been horrible.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the Wichita area and frequent Sidepockets often. There are two pawn shops within a couple miles of there. Both are A-OK pawn shops. One is on West street near Central and the other is on Central near Ridge. If you visit either, be sure to ask if they have any cues in back. Both places put low end cues in an umbrella stand on the floor, but do keep better cues in back. I found a nice Joss that way a few years back.

Pictures would be a big help - or pics of similar cues even. There are also several other pawn shops in the Wichita area; so the closest to where they were stolen would be a good place to start. Also an approx value would be helpful too.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is truly sickening. I am so sorry, to you and your family. All I can offer his positive energy and hope that you find your cues/other belongings and the mindless scumbag thieves that did this.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Wichita. Post pics so I can see.

And...I dont think he said it happened at Sidepockets...just FYI.

Would like to know where abouts this DID happen though.

Sorry about your semi-bad Wichita Visit.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not want to distract from your frustration and anger which is totally understandable.

Allow me to offer a simple observation that might make you appreciate the situation differently.

You are out property, money and any sentimental attachment but you can still feel those emotions.
That means you are still alive and so is your wife and children and grandchidren....everyone is fine.

The Holidays are a terrible time for suicides, thefts, and horrible on the road traffic accidents.
You had a terrible experience but take a moment to think about how much worse a fate it could
have been. Everyone traveled safely....returned home and presents can be replaced....cues too.

Even my cues are only property and although I am attached to them, family overshadows pretty
much everything in life and you still have yours in tact and safe. There were, and will continue to be,
lots of Holiday travelers that suffer a far worse experience that became a life altering experience.

I really do feel bad for you and your family. It was a terrible thing to have happen. But you're still
around to gripe about it and so is your family.. Bad things happen but it could have been horrible.
My sentiments exactly. I hope he recovers his property.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was Joe Blackburn's trailer, and no he never got anything back. The loss was many thousands of dollars, but worse, there were many specialized tools that Joe had made or acquired over the years, that were irreplaceable. I asked him about it a couple of years ago at the DCC.

Scott Lee

Thanks Scott -what a Fn drag!-Joe is such a good guy too. Im pretty sure idda left the pool world and found another way to make a living after that!

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea my bad - I didn't mean to imply it happened there - only to provide a reference to the pawn shops in the area. I've played at Sidepockets for many years and know both the original owners and the new ones. It's a great place to hang, eat and play. Knowing the area where this happened (as mentioned earlier) would help.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I live in the Wichita area and frequent Sidepockets often. There are two pawn shops within a couple miles of there. Both are A-OK pawn shops. One is on West street near Central and the other is on Central near Ridge. If you visit either, be sure to ask if they have any cues in back. Both places put low end cues in an umbrella stand on the floor, but do keep better cues in back. I found a nice Joss that way a few years back.

Pictures would be a big help - or pics of similar cues even. There are also several other pawn shops in the Wichita area; so the closest to where they were stolen would be a good place to start. Also an approx value would be helpful too.

Steve lives in Florida.

Last edited: