2013 ob-135

RadicalOne

PBIA Certified Instructor
Silver Member
I want to first say that I moved to shooting with OB shafts/cues in Dec of 2012. I have various customs and higher-end production cues that I've played with over the years. I still love my McFadden cue and my Huebler, but I do prefer the OB shaft. I have spent the time on the table adjusting to the OB shaft and my game is now pretty much tuned to an OB-2 with a Kamui Black Soft tip. If conditions are humid, I move to an OB-2 with a medium layered tip. I still enjoy my other cues with regular shafts, but I simply don’t have the consistent control that I expect (with standard maple shafts) as I do when playing with the OB shafts.

Back in Dec 2012 I went to the OB factory in Plano, TX and met Royce and David “Doc” Reyes. They are fantastic guys and stand behind their products. They took time to answer my questions and I was convinced, from both a customer support and product quality perspective, that I wanted to give OB shafts and cues a try (initially I was just going to get a couple of shafts).

When I was at the factory I learned about the design of the 2012 OB manufactured cue and decided to buy an OB-127. I knew the same cue building technology was going to be in the 2013 line, plus the 2013 line would have some more “custom” adornments (inlays, points, etc.) that I like to have (just because). The OB made cues are wood-to-wood joints with what I believe is a phenolic joint sleeve. In my opinion they are better balanced than any of my other wood-to-wood/phenolic jointed cues. They have a more “forward” balance that is closer to or better than my steel jointed cues (McDermott, Schon, or my Huebler). People often think my OB cue is “lighter” than it is and I attribute that to the way the cue is balanced. I really like the balance and the “rigidity” of the cue and prefer the way the cue hits/feels in comparison to my cues with stainless steel joints. The handle area is a bit slimmer on both of my OB cues and I have grown to love the way it feels.

I was anxiously awaiting the 2013 cue line release from OB during this year’s SBE. I was more than pleased with the designs after seeing the “previews” on Facebook. I sent in a couple of emails asking about the release and ordering process and all questions were answered promptly by Shane. Shane helped me set up my order through “Doc” and the results are shown in the pictures below.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

More pics can be seen here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=1544

The 2013 OB-135 certainly didn't disappoint. The woods used in the handle are simply stunning. I love the figure of the wood rings in the handle - it adds a lot of character and visual stimulation. The inlays and points are very sharp. Most production cues today use CNC and the inlays/points are rounded, but these inlays/points are completely sharp. The cue design is very classy. In my opinion and compared to my “general” tastes, it is a “busy” design, but the ways the types of woods used and their colors blend help keep the overall elegant look of this cue. Everything lines up and all points are even. The birdseye forearm is beautiful and the cue finish is like glass and much better than my 2012 OB-127. If it didn't say OB on the cue I’d think it was a custom cue.

Everything is dead on straight, together and apart. My OB-127 had a tiny roll-out when it was put together new, but that has disappeared over time (I think it was something with the new threads in the shaft?). The new OB-135 is perfect with the new shaft and all my existing OB shafts. The OB-135 has the same fantastic balance as my OB-127 and same overall feel when playing. I’m not as used to a wrapless cue so that will take a bit of adjustment. I used my existing OB shafts to “test” the cue as the new shaft/Kamui tip requires a bit of breaking in before I feel comfortable with it. I have hit a few dozen balls with the new shaft/tip and it is perfect in every way - I personally just need a tip “breaking in” period (for me and Kamui a “new” tip does some “wonky” things until I have a few hours on it). The Kamui tip install on the new shaft is top notch.

There are a ton of options out there with cues. Custom or production, there are many great choices to suit any individual taste. From my experiences I highly recommend OB shafts for those that are looking for an LD option. The consistency of the OB shaft is the #1 reason (IMO) to look at OB products. However, the quality of the cues built by OB has only gotten better and they are a great enhancement to their shaft technology. I believe their cues are a great option for a complete player’s setup. These are great player’s cues, with a fit and finish on my OB-135 that is better than I have seen on a lot of customs and most production cues. What’s nice is these are players with great design/technology and American manufacturing. I’m more than happy with my decision to use OB cues.

Thanks Royce, “Doc”, Shane, and the guys in the factory that built my awesome new player! Great job OB - my expectations have been thoroughly exceeded (again)!!!

Last edited:

markdvegas

Registered
Good review. For the guy who doesn't have a local dealer or pool hall, any advantage to buying direct from OB? Verses one of the discount online places?

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good review. For the guy who doesn't have a local dealer or pool hall, any advantage to buying direct from OB? Verses one of the discount online places?

Only diff is u get too deal with ob instead of 2nd party either way ur still covered with ob as far as defects ect

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hows thin or thick the butt of these? anyone can help. I have a good offer for a brand new of these and thinking of a wrapless cue. But i dont like thin butt my Predator LE4 is quite thin so im still looking for a best cue

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hows thin or thick the butt of these? anyone can help. I have a good offer for a brand new of these and thinking of a wrapless cue. But i dont like thin butt my Predator LE4 is quite thin so im still looking for a best cue

OB Cues are definitely considered to be on the thin side.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member

OB is thiner the predator :thumbup: