Stuck at Joint

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shaft (314-2) will not separate from mid 2.5" extension. Was going to try 2 strap wrenches but don't want to use excessive force. Should I apply heat or cold to the joint. Please note cue has been in car trunk and its Summertime. Not my cue...helping someone out. TY. Frank

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Is it a uniloc quick release? If a quick release, take 2 rubber pads, have someone hold their hand out, you hold the extension with one hand with a rubber pad wrapped around the dia., and have the other pad in your hand ready to grab the shaft, and rap the upper part of the shaft against the other persons hand, like a tuning fork, and as soon as you do that, grab the shaft with the free hand/pad and twist it to unscrew it....most times this will free up the joint due to the vibrations. You may not need the rubber pads, but sometimes our hands cannot grip the parts enough to break it free. If this works, then clean the female and male parts of the joint with alcohol and Q-tips, and a wipe.
Dave

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Almost sounds like two metals galled and stuck together
If it's a wood connection issue, then I don't know, I'm not a cuemaker

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once you get them free, put some shaft wax on the threads. This will not affect the tightening ability but will prevent the minor metal galling that makes the two parts difficult to unscrew.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a better grip you can put on a pair of or rubber gloves. it gives you a lot of gripping power quick and easy. the vibration Idea is a good one, you could gently tap the joint collars with the edge of a wooden spoon as your twisting.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got it thanks... for the replies. There is a nasty burr on the first thread of the shaft. I doubt that was the cause but I'll carefully get it off.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got it thanks... for the replies. There is a nasty burr on the first thread of the shaft. I doubt that was the cause but I'll carefully get it off.

Try to determine why it froze to begin with. Excessive dirt or a burr on the pin itself. Just about all of the frozen one's I've done had screws that were not prepped properly before install. Fresh out of the box is not really clean if you look at them. I wet sand 2500 and 3000 then polish with a buffing wheel.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try to determine why it froze to begin with. Excessive dirt or a burr on the pin itself. Just about all of the frozen one's I've done had screws that were not prepped properly before install. Fresh out of the box is not really clean if you look at them. I wet sand 2500 and 3000 then polish with a buffing wheel.

The shaft was stuck to a mid extension. Was fine since May and suddenly locked up. Thread looks clean. It's a cue I gave to my nephew. Radial pin with a cross thread adaptor to UniLoc. I gave him a 314-2 to use with the cue. I do not know the history of the how it was handled during the Summer.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft was stuck to a mid extension. Was fine since May and suddenly locked up. Thread looks clean. It's a cue I gave to my nephew. Radial pin with a cross thread adaptor to UniLoc. I gave him a 314-1 to use with the cue. I do not know the history of the how it was handled during the Summer.

Thank you. Threads on the quick release are usually not the problem. Dirt inside the insert and or burrs on the barrel from constantly putting it together are more the culprits.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you. Threads on the quick release are usually not the problem. Dirt inside the insert and or burrs on the barrel from constantly putting it together are more the culprits.
And thank you....
Do you think the chap stick would move it's way to the barrel and attract more dirt eventually causing it to freeze again?

I will take the advice of keep the pin and insert clean.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think the chap stick would move it's way to the barrel and attract more dirt eventually causing it to freeze again?

You have a point but I haven't had any issues with mine. I also use joint protectors. I had an issue with mine once and was given the advice from a pretty well known cue maker. No issues since.

EDIT - now that I think about it, I may have reacted too fast in my response. This was a new shaft that was stuck about half way on.... finally managed to remove and then tried the chapstick, no issues since. This was a wood on steel cue.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is one of the lessons I learned.

There was a time I thought wax was god, but now I know it just grabs and hold grit and dirt.

Same with the wax paper trick people use on their wrap. It's a good way to accelerate the filth collecting on the wrap.

These days I just like to keep things clean. Wipe down the shaft and wrap. I occasionally wipe off the joint face and run a cue tip down the shaft insert too.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a point but I haven't had any issues with mine. I also use joint protectors. I had an issue with mine once and was given the advice from a pretty well known cue maker. No issues since.

EDIT - now that I think about it, I may have reacted too fast in my response. This was a new shaft that was stuck about half way on.... finally managed to remove and then tried the chapstick, no issues since. This was a wood on steel cue.

Awesome. Unless the shaft is constantly slammed on when putting it together. The problem is very seldom the threaded parts. Dirt on the barrel and the outer brass insert from carelessly putting it together causes the freeze. I tell my customers once a month or couple of months. Take a q tip with a dab of the wife's finger nail polish remover. Swirl it around the insert. Let it air dry. Standard for brass. Comes out black everytime.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are the extension threads made out of? Aluminum can build up on the opposite threads and cause it to lock up. If the pin is brass it can do the same thing with a brass insert. It is generally a bad idea to have two metal threads of the same kind touching each other. And since aluminum kind of works like a pencil drawing on the other threads every time you screw it in and out, I feel making the threads out of aluminum are a bad idea as the possibility for a freeze up is always there..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the extension threads made out of? Aluminum can build up on the opposite threads and cause it to lock up. If the pin is brass it can do the same thing with a brass insert. It is generally a bad idea to have two metal threads of the same kind touching each other. And since aluminum kind of works like a pencil drawing on the other threads every time you screw it in and out, I feel making the threads out of aluminum are a bad idea as the possibility for a freeze up is always there..

Short quick release screws are offered in Aluminum and brass. I make mine out of Stainless.