Gaboon vs "regular" Ebony

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
I'm looking at blanks with ebony points and want it to turn out with a dark, bright sheen. Does Gaboon have any characteristics that make it the choice vs a "regular" black ebony?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The two ebonies that are most commonly used in cues are gaboon and macassar. Gaboon ebony is the (usually) solid black one. Macassar ebony shows the grain, with black and dark brown stripes.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking at blanks with ebony points and want it to turn out with a dark, bright sheen. Does Gaboon have any characteristics that make it the choice vs a "regular" black ebony?

As far as I know, Gaboon ebony is the regular black ebony. Some of the poorer grades may have a slight variance in the grain and that is why they are poorer grades but as with all else in the world, you get what you paid for.

Dick

Agent17

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ceylon or Sri Lankan Ebony is the best Ebony. But you'll be licks to get some these days.

African (Gaboon) is not as good. But these days African is the blackest there is.

Macassar is a different beast altogether with brown and black stripes. It is nothing like 'black' Ebony.

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Gaboon ebony

Gaboon ebony is what you are looking for.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't know about Gaboon. I do know if you use the butt wood from Baboon ebony, it can be very colorful.

I gots me a couple of pieces of black and white from EBay and I'm very happy with what I received for the price.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Gaboon Ebony is very nice and black (why's it called Gaboon ebony when it comes from the African country Gabon?).

Anyway, also check out African Blackwood. Different species all together. I've had some pieces so jet black, they look like plastic.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Ceylon or Sri Lankan Ebony is the best Ebony. But you'll be licks to get some these days.

African (Gaboon) is not as good. But these days African is the blackest there is.

Macassar is a different beast altogether with brown and black stripes. It is nothing like 'black' Ebony.

Above is the correct answer. Gaboon tends to have brown undertones.
Indian tends to have silver streaks. Sri Lanka I believe has a ban on all wood exports, so no more of the good stuff.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why would you even mention a wood, that is NOT even available. Unless you are trying to impress someone, that you know how to use GOOGLE. Unless you can give HELPFUL advise, you are only pumping your own ego...JER

Agent17

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you can give HELPFUL advise, you are only pumping your own ego...JER

Lol, I thought I did give the op some helpful advice in general about Ebony.

Not sure why you would have a problem with that, or make the odd link to my ego?

If he were lucky enough to come across some Ceylon Ebony he should be aware it is the best choice possible, followed by African as the second best.

The grain of Ceylon Ebony is much tighter than African Ebony and will give the finest possible finish. Period.

Unless you are trying to impress someone, that you know how to use GOOGLE.

This gets funnier :rolleyes:

There is nobody on this forum I either want or need to impress.

For your information, Google didn't exist when I learnt about Ebony. I did it the good old fashioned hard way, hunting down suppliers, experimenting with different types, etc., etc..

My knowledge of Ebony is therefore first hand and extensive, and I consider it pertinent to point out that African Ebony is not the best Ebony, but it is better than the rest.

Why would you even mention a wood, that is NOT even available.

Really? I'm guessing you found that out from Google? :D

Available and commercially available are two different things.

Ceylon Ebony is still out there, whether legal or not. So just because YOU cannot get it does not mean WE should not include it in discussions.

I have some old stock myself and if I ever needed any more, trust me, availability would not be an issue.

So, I beg to differ on that score. The fact is, the op may come across some. If he does, he should grab it.

Enjoy your Saturday morning pancakes JER ;)

Last edited:

Agent17

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indian tends to have silver streaks.

There's also a Vietnamese Ebony (or at least that was what they told me it was when I bought it a few years back) which looks relatively black but when you sand it, the dust is green, and the wood has a greenish hue. Horrible stuff.

Sri Lanka I believe has a ban on all wood exports, so no more of the good stuff.

Unfortunately this is true. However, the back door to China may have been left ajar. Just saying.

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
In my experience Gabon, cracks under heat, and is very susceptible to movement. Lots of knifemakers wont use it.......unless its competely stabilized, and even then there can be problems. Obviously mileage varys on these things....

African blackwood AKA "black ivory" I find, is much better due to its inherent oilyness, density, and not needing to be stabilized. Its expensive, and a little harder to find really black pieces, but its nice stuff and readily available.

Ceylon is the cats meow and truly black. Deep rich black color. You can still buy it here from a few folks. The guy that I buy my Ceylon from showed me the end grain of some of his blackwood and ceylon under a low power microscope and its amazing to see the contrast in whats truly black. The differences really stand out under the scope.

You could also add Madagascar Ebony to the list. Fine grain, really nice stuff, some say the best in the world. It falls under the CITES laws so that maybe a consideration for you. IMO Ceylon and the Madagascar ebonies are very high quality, but with all wood each piece should be evaluated individually, (if possible) and with the prices as they are, that would be my choice before buying anything anyways. Good luck and take care... Larry

Last edited:

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your kind assistance. This information has helped, considerably!!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indian tends to have silver streaks. Sri Lanka I believe has a ban on all wood exports, so no more of the good stuff.
Is it only good because we can't get it?