Pictures of hackwork section!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
my first rail

I wanted to start on the olhausen Pool Table before going on to the sogaard, should have a better grip on it by then

Don't bother asking for a pic of the first side pocket I attempted

Attachments

• IMG_20160822_101741.jpg
    IMG_20160822_101741.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 1,544
  • IMG_20160822_101807.jpg
    IMG_20160822_101807.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1,513

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a local pool room. The rubber on the rail on the right is actually installed upside down.

29057103012_81d6fabc57_h.jpg

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
In a local pool room. The rubber on the rail on the right is actually installed upside down.

29057103012_81d6fabc57_h.jpg

What is that black stuff at the edge of the slate, it kinda looks like a filler because the pocket does not fit properly. Whats up with that? I have never seen that before.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What is that black stuff at the edge of the slate, it kinda looks like a filler because the pocket does not fit properly. Whats up with that? I have never seen that before.

How about those Phillips heads that are holding the pockets?
Screw heads above the pockets. Chipped balls for this table.

I think the black look is the cut away part of the pockets. Instead of the
pockets under the slate.. (if it's slate).. the pockets lay against the slate.

Hack work at its finest...

Last edited:

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about those Phillips heads that are holding the pockets?
Screw heads above the pockets. Chipped balls for this table.

I think the black look is the cut away part of the pockets. Instead of the
pockets under the slate.. (if it's slate).. the pockets lay against the slate.

Hack work at its finest...

Some of the tables even have a screw into the rear of the pocket, directly into the corner casting! And it is a slate table, a Gandy to be precise.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Cmon guys, more pics please, this is my favorite thread, I know there are a lot of hacked tables out there, maybe even more hacked than nice tables!!!

outrunu

Registered
I'll add the rails of this project Sportsman I just bought.

Don't think that's the right way to use those feather strips.
AbQ2Dk4.jpg

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Sorry, first image on this board, I'm used to imgur just working. Original is resized.

Now I understand what the previous "table mechacknic" did with the feather strips. Are they in the wrong place???? :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
How the hell do you even begin to think that is the proper way to install the feather strips and cloth?? Were all the rails like that??

outrunu

Registered
Now I understand what the previous "table mechacknic" did with the feather strips. Are they in the wrong place???? :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
How the hell do you even begin to think that is the proper way to install the feather strips and cloth?? Were all the rails like that??

Every one. The staple job around all of the pockets looked decent though.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've said it before, I'll say it again. We can ALL point fingers at hack work and show how bad others have done, sometimes even unbelievable at times, BUT i still feel without showing what you did to correct the hack work, as in before & after, then no one posting pictures here is doing one thing to show others that view this thread....that BETTER craftsmanship is available if they look for it!! I can tell a LOT about an installers work just by looking at how they recover the rails, as well as how good a mechanic's work is by looking at the repair work....but, that part of this thread is lacking guys!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I've said it before, I'll say it again. We can ALL point fingers at hack work and show how bad others have done, sometimes even unbelievable at times, BUT i still feel without showing what you did to correct the hack work, as in before & after, then no one posting pictures here is doing one thing to show others that view this thread....that BETTER craftsmanship is available if they look for it!! I can tell a LOT about an installers work just by looking at how they recover the rails, as well as how good a mechanic's work is by looking at the repair work....but, that part of this thread is lacking guys!

AHEM< AHEM< We all know Jack Z does excellent work! I get what you are saying of course, but, we must give credit where credit is due!

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm very well aware of Jack's work, but to all, pointing fingers is easy, fixing the work is where credit is earned. How many pointing fingers are they themselves hacks?

JZMechanix

Silver Member

Glen, you are right.... the bad work needs to be corrected! It's sad some of the work I come across that is done by guys that have been doing tables for years and years.

I think the main problem is just lack of proper training. That's why I am very greatful to have learned a lot of this type of work from you and many other great mechanics around the country. You have always been willing to help any time I've needed it and for that I am thankful!

after1.JPG

after2.JPG

after3.JPG

after4.JPG

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Glen, you are right.... the bad work needs to be corrected! It's sad some of the work I come across that is done by guys that have been doing tables for years and years.

I think the main problem is just lack of proper training. That's why I am very greatful to have learned a lot of this type of work from you and many other great mechanics around the country. You have always been willing to help any time I've needed it and for that I am thankful!

View attachment 492603

View attachment 492604

View attachment 492605

View attachment 492606

Heck yeah!! Love the precision. Cant wait to come train with you Jack! Hope all is well :)

Trent from Toledo