The Foundation-basic fundamentals.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The Stance

The correct approach to your shooting position at the table
Your table stance is essential to the preparation for a successful stroke. If your stance and body alignment are incorrect, all other aspects of the basic fundamentals will be affected: head, bridge hand, cue arm and elbow.

The correct placement of the head and body facing the target line. The player's forward foot should be parallel to the target line or slightly turned in. The back foot should be positioned approximately 45 degrees to the table. This allows proper body alignment along the target line. Aligning yourself more closely along the target line allows the shooter to have a better shot perspective. The cue should be centered directly between both eyes, see Photo 2.

Photo 2
Stancephoto2.jpg

The proper way to position your feet at the table
The player's weight should be equally distributed on both legs for a stable stance. This will eliminate leaning and instability. See Photos 3 & 4. You should feel comfortable before you attempt any stroke.

Photo 3
Stancephoto3.jpg

Photo 4
Stancephoto4.jpg

Next week!
The Bridge
The correct position of the bridge hand

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the house is only as strong as its foundation
thanks bill for posting this
and teaching the aspiring 3c player

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Billy, why bother? They don't get it.
why post that ???
if you think everyone is beyond help
dont post
unless you think you should advise bill (not billy) to not waste his time
maybe you should try to share some knowledge
there are some that come to this forum
TO LEARN....:eek:
help us...:smile:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Larry, Rich, Shayne87 is a VERY good friend of mine, and a GOOD guy!

He REALLY understands most 3C players, which can usually be pretty self-centered people!

I've had my moments at that myself.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Keep doing what your doing bill,
We might not all be bombarding your posts with comments
But we do read, learn and appreciate any of your help and guidance you decide to share

Last edited:

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why post that ???
if you think everyone is beyond help
dont post
unless you think you should advise bill (not billy) to not waste his time
maybe you should try to share some knowledge
there are some that come to this forum
TO LEARN....:eek:
help us...:smile:

I wish I had some knowledge to share, but it seems that even when a player of Billy's caliber tries to share no-one seems to care. He is one of the very few great players to put what he knows on paper, instead of taking it to the grave. Any carom player that wants to learn the game should buy his book and start the process, thanks Bill.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish I had some knowledge to share, but it seems that even when a player of Billy's caliber tries to share no-one seems to care. He is one of the very few great players to put what he knows on paper, instead of taking it to the grave. Any carom player that wants to learn the game should buy his book and start the process, thanks Bill.

shayne if you are a buddy of bill .....:thumbup:
there is a (smal it seems )group of members who do care and are trying to learn
i have his books and we speak on a regular basis
i am a sponge for knowledge and trying to learn as much as i can about 3 cushion..:)
the forum does lack in educational posts with only a very few sharing their knowledge
to those of you that do and have THANK YOU

Ticky

Registered
Off topic but what table is that behind Bill in the first picture (photo 2), the one with net pockets?

Ticky

Registered
snooker table

Really? I looked at it more carefully and the center pocket cut doesn't seem to be round which suggests it being a russian pyramid table.

Whatever it is, since I got introduced to three cushion little over a year ago, pocket billiards lost it's intrigue for me.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I do care

it's easier to try - than to prove it can't be done. I too am thankful for the solid advice on three cushion. There is not much sound advice to be found out there and I have gained a little knowledge from Mr. Smith's posts - it is appreciated. But not good to make broad generalizations that are not positive. I understand the point your trying to make, but take it easy on the neg. generalizations please.

Last edited: