The Carom Game of 5 Balls

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HomeBrewer, Richard Kapela, and other who might be interest in 5 Ball check out Paul Frankel link on the rule of the game. and at super expo march 30 2017

https://professorqball.com/2017/03/30415/

https://professorqball.com/2016/02/usba-national-qualifier-2/

You should support Professorqball and what he done,by buy your 5 balls from him.

Box-five-ball-WEB-300x129.jpg

Introducing the game of 5-Ball at the Super Billiards Expo March 30th to April 2nd

This article posted by Paul on March 4, 2017

This Rules of 5 Ball-

The 5-Ball game is played with 5 balls and in rounds.In advance, make an agreement on the number of rounds to play and on an odd number of points per round (e.g. 51, 101, 151 points).

As per the game of Darts, the players play by turns. The player scores and deducts the result from the number of points agreed, and subsequently from the last points obtained. The first player having 0 (not below) wins the round. The next round restarts with the same agreed number of points.

SCORING

The balls are numbered and the number on the ball represents its value (green ball= 1 point, red ball= 2 points, white ball/yellow ball= 4 points, blue ball= 6 points).

The cue ball of the player must hit at least two different balls (could also be the opponent’s cue ball) to score. The values of the hit balls are added, getting the score per shot. The cue ball of the player has no value.
STARTING THE GAME (see diagram above )The balls are put on the table as per above diagram to start the game.The red ball is on the top spot, the blue ball on the middle spot, the green ball on the bottom spot with the white ball on the right and the yellow ball on the left.The players decide by toss who starts the game.

The first player plays with the white ball, the opponent with the yellow one. Each player keeps his cue ball throughout the game.To start the game the player must hit the red ball first. For the next shot the player may choose any ball to hit. In case the start failed, there are no winner points and the balls remain in the same position and the opponent plays.

The score per shot is the sum of the value of the different balls hit by the player’s cue ball. If the same

ball is hit twice or more by the player’s cue ball, the value of the hit ball is only taken once into account.

The cue ball of the player has no value.

EXAMPLE: the player plays with the WHITE ball. He hits the RED ball (2) and the YELLOW ball (4). SCORE = 6 points. This is a VALID score that can be deducted from the total of the player.

END OF THE GAME

To win the round the player must reach 0 (not below). If the player makes

more points than necessary, the score is not validated and there are no points deducted.

EXAMPLE: a player must make 5 points to reach 0. He hits the BLUE ball

(6) and the RED ball (2). SCORE = 8 points. The score is not valid

because he has made more points than necessary. The player keeps his 5

remaining points and the opponent plays.

BEWARE OF REMAINING POINTS 1, 2 & 4 AND BALLS OFF TABLE

It is not possible to win a round IF the player’s remaining points are 1, 2 or 4 points, because in the

next shot he must hit minimum 2 balls. So, the player keeps his number of points (he does not score)

and the opponent plays.

EXAMPLE: a player must make 9 points to reach 0. He hits the YELLOW ball (4) and the GREEN ball (1). SCORE = 5 points. The player still has to make 4 points. By the next shot he cannot reach 0 because it is not

possible to make 4 points by hitting two balls. In this case the player keeps his number of points (9)

and the opponent plays.

If a ball falls off the table, the shot is not valid and the ball is put back on its initial spot (see drawing).

If that place is blocked by another ball, then the ball is placed on the first available initial spot (sequence to keep: white or yellow, green, blue or red)

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. Although it's a good bit of coin, I'm considering getting a set to facilitate getting pool players and younger kids playing.

I bought a couple of $10 shortie cues for my kids' birthday party this Saturday and at one point we had 10 nieces, nephews, and kids' friends all taking turns playing. Was a blast.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having trouble seeing a checkout process on the website to buy the 5 ball set. I'll call to find out how to proceed, and will post back here on what I learn.

Ideally I'd also be able to use one of the balls as a 'second red' to be able to play Korean 4 ball along with my existing 61.5 mm Aramiths, but I'm unsure how much the size difference between 61.5 and 61.7 will factor into that. Can't imagine it'd be too much...

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm having trouble seeing a checkout process on the website to buy the 5 ball set. I'll call to find out how to proceed, and will post back here on what I learn.

Ideally I'd also be able to use one of the balls as a 'second red' to be able to play Korean 4 ball along with my existing 61.5 mm Aramiths, but I'm unsure how much the size difference between 61.5 and 61.7 will factor into that. Can't imagine it'd be too much...

That's a difference of. 007874 inches
A human hair is about .004 inches wide so there's a reference for you lol

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But since I miss so many shots by a hair it seems like that'd be bad!

But seriously thanks for the reference. I wonder why, though, they'd engineer something that might be just different enough to add (presumably) cost to the creation process but which is of negligible impact to play?

A typo on the website seems more likely than a purposeful re-engineering of diameter from 61.5 to 61.7 mm.

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you billiardshot. If I hadn't already purchased them from Kozoom, I would have patronized Professor Q Ball for sure.

I bought these partially for my girlfriend's son, who is 13 and has been playing pool for about a year. I'm hoping that this will provide an easier way for him to learn caroms. Plus it will add some variety to my practice as well.

If I can discern any difference between these and the standard 61.5 mm carom balls, I will let everyone know.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the idea of snookering the other player so they can't get out with the exact point value they need is pretty interesting and would be fun.

I understand why safeties aren't played as overtly in 3 cushion games as they are in other games, but safety play in one pocket, snooker, etc. was always one of my favorite elements and you can miss it in carom billiards.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks M.G., for posting your earlier Thread on 5 Balls. Does this mean you are going to SBE and play 5 Balls?

Sorry to disappoint - I'm rather German and don't travel much.
I did also give up on my Carom training due to time constraints... but it was phantastic. Very reliable and friendly people, too. Nobody would mock you.

Please don't give up - 5 ball is how you reel them in, also the younger ones!

Cheers,
M

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 5-ball carom set came in today. And it appears that they are 61.5mm, not 61.7mm as advertised; they are marked as 61.5 on the inside of the box. See the pic. My table is being installed as I write this, so I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I put the individual balls up against each other, and they appear to be the same size.

5ball set vs standard carom.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The 5-ball carom set came in today. And it appears that they are 61.5mm, not 61.7mm as advertised; they are marked as 61.5 on the inside of the box. I have a pic, but can't figure out how to post it. My table is being installed as I write this, so I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I put the individual balls up against each other, and they appear to be the same size.

Hit quick reply, then the go advanced tab under the comment box, then there's a manage attachments button that let's you upload photos

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome, thanks.

FYI for anyone interested I've spoken with Paul Frankel, who says he'll know more after Monday about his price to resell them in the US.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Status - Been in touch with Paul and a set of 5 balls will be heading my way soon. He asks that anyone interested get in touch with him directly to order at 901 210 7251.

I'm pretty excited to use these to get some pool players introduced to caroms.

Hell, truth be told I'm just looking to making a doggone POINT more than once every 30 shots, haha.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 ball set arrived a little while ago -- already having fun knocking them around.

Looks like my average has jumped from 0.0000025 or so to over 6.0!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a few hours at the SBE. It's a lot of fun for anyone at any level.
As a side note you could bring these to a pool table and play a little Cowboy pool. The larger balls would be more challenging.