Need advice re. new diamond vs keep old table

Electron Mover

Registered
I have a 1995 8' Gandy Sportsman (same as a Big G except no ball storage and no pedestal) which has been in a 12' 6" wide room. The table is in excellent condition but does need new rubber and cloth. My wife would not allow me to place it in the largest room in the basement because it is unfinished. I have always wanted a 9' table. I retired 1/17 and told my wife that I am either buying a new 9' Diamond professional table and putting it in the 18' X 15' 8" unfinished room or I am going to disassemble and move the Gandy 8' table to the 18' X 15' 8" room and have it recovered and new rubber.
I told you that so I can ask this because I assume that all of you mechanics have placed tables in similar sized rooms-should I keep the 8' table knowing that I will have plenty of room all around it...or should I get the 9' table realizing when the cue is frozen to a end rail, I will have to use a short stick? Have you gotten a sense from your clients over the years how happy they have been in similar circumstances?
Feel free to recommend a mechanic in the Richmond, VA area if the Gandy stays.
Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
Bill

JZMechanix

Silver Member
No doubt I would go with the 9' Diamond. 18' isn't ideal for the length of the room but you can get by with a slightly shorter cue or even just jack up a little if the ball is really close to the end rail.

Plus the fact that the Diamond is a far superior table to a Gandy IMHO.

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it would depend on how you intend to utilize the table.

- If it is mainly going to serve as a practice table, go with the 9' Diamond.

- If you intend to host groups or entertain friends, an 8' or a pro 8' might serve you better.

Either way, ditch the Gandy.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would go with whichever table fits the best so you do not need to use a shorty cue. I have both a 9' and 7' tables at home and shoot all league and tournaments on 7' tables. When I go from my 9' to my 7' table it seems small at first but after an hour or so that is completely gone, its just a pool table. I prefer playing on my 9' table but mainly because its the nicer of the 2. If my 7' table was a Diamond instead of a Valley I would probably use them equally, but I bought the Valley because many of our tournaments are on Valleys and they play quite a bit different than my Gold Crown which plays very similar to a 9' Diamond.

Electron Mover

Registered
Thanks for the replies. It is obvious that the Gandy goes. I have shared the responses with my family and we have all decided to get a Diamond or Connelly Ultimate 9' table.