The Foundation-basic fundamentals - The Bridge

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The Bridge

The correct position of the bridge hand

The bridge is the foundation for the cue. If the bridge is not solid and secure, errors will occur in the stroke. A firm and stable bridge is required.
Hand should be slightly curved back towards the body with elbow slightly bent with the palm resting on the table, Photo 5.

Photo 5
Thebridgephoto5.jpg

The proper length bridge for most shots in 3 cushion billiards
Bridge length, the distance from the bridge hand to the cue ball, will vary from shot to shot. Depending on the distance desired and the stroke you employ the bridge length will generally be 8 to 10 inches, Photo 6.

Photo 6
Thebridgephoto6.jpg

This is the proper bridge in order to achieve the correct height on the cue ball, so that the cue is as level to the table as possible, you simply separate or pull your fingers together to get to the correct point on the cue ball you're trying to hit.

When striking the cue ball along the equator (center line) using center, left or right hand spins, we will use a medium height bridge, Photo 7.

Photo 7
Thebridgephoto7.jpg

For the application of left or right hand English above the center line (follow English with left and right hand spins) you will raise your cue by drawing your fingers together, Photo 8.

Photo 8
Thebridgephoto8.jpg

Draw shots are hit below the equator with either left, center or right hand spins. We lower the cue by spreading our fingers to lower the bridge, Photo 9.

Photo 9
Thebridgephoto9.jpg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for the lesson bill
i have a question
why is it that most billiard players have the middle/ring/pinky fingers together as you show in your pictures of your bridge hand
yet pool players more commonly have those fingers spread apart (more apart than your last picture of the bridge hand) ?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
thanks for the lesson bill
i have a question
why is it that most billiard players have the middle/ring/pinky fingers together as you show in your pictures of your bridge hand
yet pool players more commonly have those fingers spread apart (more apart than your last picture of the bridge hand) ?

First off Larry, a billiard ball is bigger! The 'center' of the CB is higher off the bed of the table. Bringing the fingers together elevates the bridge to the correct height for addressing the CB in the center or above the equator for MANY shots in 3C! I think in Pool, the CB is struck in the center or below the equator more than in 3C. Obviously, as I show in Photo 9, just by spreading the fingers lowers the bridge for draw shots!

In my clinics and exhibitions, I demonstrate the strong foundation of my bridge by having
someone place a penny on top of my bridge hand, then I play and make a 9 cushion bank! The penny doesn't even quiver!
:cool:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick observation from my experience with the Carom guys.

The bridges depicted in the photos are far too long. Most players I know and have played with employ shorter ones, and they vary the bridge length depending on the type of shot.

Secondly they really try to have a 90 degree angle to the playing surface and not really strike down. Photo 7 as center ball hit even shows a striking down. That's the prime example where you would really go flat.

Cheers,
M

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The bridges depicted in the photos are far too long. Most players I know and have played with employ shorter ones, and they vary the bridge length depending on the type of shot.

Secondly they really try to have a 90 degree angle to the playing surface and not really strike down. Photo 7 as center ball hit even shows a striking down. That's the prime example where you would really go flat.

Cheers,
M

can i ask your qualifications to say the bridge length is too long ????
from the 1980's to 2000 or so bill smith the op of this thread was the #1 or #2 carom player in the USA
it doesnt seem the bridge length is too long for him

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Different strokes for different folks

In pool the same i notice generally longer bridge lengths on higher level of players

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

Cheers,
M

MG; the only reason it may appear to you that I would continue the stroke downward is because of the rail of the table! Believe me, I've been an advocate of following straight-thru, horizontally & vertically for over 45 years. It's the essence of a pure stroke.

BTW, many top players, (Blomdahl, Caudron, Tasdimir...) in the world use a longer than shorter length bridge, all depends on the type of shot and distance to be traveled!

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
so for say a shot that you intend to go around the table twice, you would have a longer bridge than normal?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
so for say a shot that you intend to go around the table twice, you would have a longer bridge than normal?

This is correct, Rich. Along with gripping the cue about 1" further back on the butt.

That will be the next lesson in, The Foundation-basic fundamentals The Grip.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Thats quite an eye opener to me thank you

And further backs upWhat i learned from Xaviers book (for small games)for certain types of shots he shows where on the butt to hold
One that sticks out in my mind is holding the cue right at the butt end fast swing is the only way to make a good hit on an EXTREMELY EXTREME outter hit of english that will miss cue every time if the swing in not correct

And now i can apply what you just confirmed to my 3c game excellent

Last edited: