Question for people who use a hard tip

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a milk dud which is pretty hard. How often do you use a tip pick?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use Talisman hard tips, I use a 80-grit fingernail file about once every other month to maintain the tip condition. The tips tend to last about 1.5 years.

{I don't have a tip pick, and they are bad news for laminated tips.}

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have milkduds on 2 or 3 shafts. I ONLY use a Brad Scuffer and/or a Willards, (dime radius) on any of my tips. Of course I keep the sidewalls well burnished with spit & leather. I also wipe all chalk off before going back in case !!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a pick all the time. The key is just using light pressure to give tip just enough texture to hold chalk. You've really gotta push in pretty hard to go in far enough to cause a problem. A light, tapping motion will make for good chalk holding.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a hard pressed Triangle and don't even own a tip pick. I use the Last4Ever tip tool about once a week. Roughs the tip up perfectly.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Never. Absolutely never. A tip pik is a meat tenderizer, exactly opposite of what you want if you want your tip to be hard, IMO.

I don't scuff or any such thing either. About once a year, I might roll my tip on sandpaper or a tip tapper, but out of boredom, not because of necessity.

My tips last for years.

Freddie

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I use Searing's hard for about 3 months now. Just scuffed it last week for the first time....but it really didn't need it. 20 hrs a week.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typically use a pressed Triangle. After it initially shaped, I normally tip pick about once every 2 months. The tip usually lasts well over a year.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never. Absolutely never. A tip pik is a meat tenderizer, exactly opposite of what you want if you want your tip to be hard, IMO.

I don't scuff or any such thing either. About once a year, I might roll my tip on sandpaper or a tip tapper, but out of boredom, not because of necessity.

My tips last for years.

Freddie

It's already hard. I use the pick once in a while when the cue ball isn't reacting the way I want it to. I don't use anything else other than chalk. No burnishing or scruffing.

I don't have a schedule, just whenever I think it needs to be aerated a little.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Never. I have a Gator Grip that I scuff with whenever the tip gets glossy and chalk wont stick. I would guess once every 4-6 weeks and i usually play daily.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave my tip pick away after I scratched a ferrule by accident. I use a Gator Shaper at the beginning of each session. Great for laminated tips and similarly good for single layered tips. Willard's is excellent for shaping, but it tended to remove too much leather when I was just scuffing to hold chalk.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My tips last for years.

Freddie

Lol, i'm the opposite. I scuff (lightly) every few sessions. No tip pick though. I like my tips thin, so it doesn't bother me. Besides, they're cheap and I replace my own, so I don't care as much about longevity. Anything that gives me piece of mind that my tip won't miscue when it shouldn't...

Just installed a Water Buffalo tip, so will see how that goes. always used to play with pressed or standard Lepro.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

My tips last for years.

Freddie

I concur. :yes::yeah:
Chalk is abrasive and is all I use to shape the tip after initial install.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

never......... it will delaminate a layered tip......... I lightly scuff and re chalk............. about once a week.......... tip should last for months

milk duds are a farce.............. get a precision or a G2

Kim

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Al,

Use Triangles on both playing shafts. When I purchased the Carmeli, Ariel told me he used Triangles exclusively. Changed the Schon playing shaft to Triangle soon afterword. Used to use a Tip Pik. Now use a light coat of the stupidly expensive Kamui chalk with blue Triangle brand chalk over it. Seems to work just fine.

The cue repair guy I use (Shaftmaster) told me there are new and old Triangle tips. Not sure how they vary. Just had a new one installed on the Schon at SBE.

Lyn

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member

I don't know the hardness of my tip! I keep forgetting to ask Mike Webb what kind of tip he puts on!

I bought the LD shaft from him and I loved it from the first shot! The first time I needed a tip I asked him if he could throw one on if he could keep it the same one that's on!

I think I've done 3 tips so far(almost 3 yrs time on shafts) and I still don't know what's on!

I can't tell the difference really! Probably cuz I can't play good;)

Oh well, as far as tools, once in a great big while(6 months or so) I use that tool thingy that looks like a close pin! Works good I guess! The shaft always plays phenomenal so I tend not to ask too many questions about the specifics. Less I know the better I play!

We can get caught up with this shaft and that tip thing and what happens is we start to think about "how" the shots gonna feel as opposed to letting your body play the game!

The game is difficult enough, find a cue you enjoy playing with and shoot pool! If you miss a shot, 99.999% of the time its YOU! Not the cue.

Eli

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I don't know the hardness of my tip! I keep forgetting to ask Mike Webb what kind of tip he puts on!

I bought the LD shaft from him and I loved it from the first shot! The first time I needed a tip I asked him if he could throw one on if he could keep it the same one that's on!

I think I've done 3 tips so far(almost 3 yrs time on shafts) and I still don't know what's on!

I can't tell the difference really! Probably cuz I can't play good;)

Oh well, as far as tools, once in a great big while(6 months or so) I use that tool thingy that looks like a close pin! Works good I guess! The shaft always plays phenomenal so I tend not to ask too many questions about the specifics. Less I know the better I play!

We can get caught up with this shaft and that tip thing and what happens is we start to think about "how" the shots gonna feel as opposed to letting your body play the game!

The game is difficult enough, find a cue you enjoy playing with and shoot pool! If you miss a shot, 99.999% of the time its YOU! Not the cue.

Eli

Nice post, but WTF is with you and exclamation points?

!!!!!!!

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I'm a user of whatever works. I use the tip pick when a tip gets old and I do not want to sped the time tracking down the little tin I have with my spare tips in it, or if I am getting aggravated with my tip slipping around the CB during a match. I prefer to shape and maintain my tips like my predecessors... with a scuffer or a length of sandpaper (80 grit) to just get things grippy again.

I used to just impale the tip dozens of times in rapid succession with the tip pick, thinking I was a skilled expert in the tip picking field. Well, someone took pity on me and showed me the proper way to roll the spikes across the face of the tip lightly to create artificial pores in the glazed over tip. Forever grateful are I.

Regards,

Lesh

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

My tips last for years.

Freddie

^ That. I use a Willards before I ever hit the first ball with a brand new tip, and generally never have to scuff it again. The only time I ever touch it up is when I miscue badly enough to glaze the surface. A tip should last years with moderate play, year+ with heavy play, especially a hard tip.