How to level a shuffleboard

OTLB

Banned
curious if anyone has ever leveled a shuffleboard. What length level would be best to check the length?

BTW HI Glen, 70 mil now page 3

Dartman

Silver Member
curious if anyone has ever leveled a shuffleboard. What length level would be best to check the length?

I've done a few that we refurbished.
Check at each leg longways and sideways with a 24" carpenters level.
If level at the legs there's not much else to check since most shufflebeds are 1 piece.

Speaking of shuffleboard - here's the latest greatest -
Trust me when I say this is a cool game and only takes up 5'
shuff_photo.png

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I've never leveled one myself, but I've seen a friend do it. There should be a adjustment underneath for adjusting a crown or a dish. He said you ask the customer if they have a preference of flat, crown or dish. I think he used a 8inch machinist level.

OTLB

Banned
I've done a few that we refurbished.
Check at each leg longways and sideways with a 24" carpenters level.
If level at the legs there's not much else to check since most shufflebeds are 1 piece.

Speaking of shuffleboard - here's the latest greatest -
Trust me when I say this is a cool game and only takes up 5'
http://www.knockoffshuffle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10

shuff_photo.png

thanks guys, how does that little shuffle game work? ie, playing strategy etc, does it have a rebound or something?

scruffy1

Silver Member
I've never leveled one myself, but I've seen a friend do it. There should be a adjustment underneath for adjusting a crown or a dish. He said you ask the customer if they have a preference of flat, crown or dish. I think he used a 8inch machinist level.

There are quite a few adjustments on a regulation one! Took much longer to level one of these then a pool table. Not only do you have all the leg adjustments but the board itself has quite a few. The one we did had approx 20 turnbuckle adjustment rods bolted to the underside of the board to adjust crown or swayback in the board.

Dartman

Silver Member
There are quite a few adjustments on a regulation one! Took much longer to level one of these then a pool table. Not only do you have all the leg adjustments but the board itself has quite a few. The one we did had approx 20 turnbuckle adjustment rods bolted to the underside of the board to adjust crown or swayback in the board.

Wow. What kind of board?
The ones we did were really old, 1 piece alleys and solid like a rock with 8 table legs.
Never could get the scoreboard thing to work tho - a gazillion wires inside.

Dartman

Silver Member
thanks guys, how does that little shuffle game work? ie, playing strategy etc, does it have a rebound or something?

Its coin-op.
When the game is on the screen shows the rest of the playbed.
Lasers on the sides pickup the speed and angle of the puck and then you see the puck going down the table.
Puck only goes about 4' then hits a cushion to come back to the player.
You play like normal to get into the 1,2 or 3 zone at the end, throw blocking shots, etc.
Definitly a cool game. How many you want? :grin:

scruffy1

Silver Member
Wow. What kind of board?
The ones we did were really old, 1 piece alleys and solid like a rock with 8 table legs.
Never could get the scoreboard thing to work tho - a gazillion wires inside.

Rick,

I believe it was American shuffleboard who i believe is now champion shuffleboard. Here is a little excerpt from their manual. This process has to be done the entire length of the board. Just like a pool table,we leveled the base first,installed board then levelled board using the climatic adjusters.

Climatic Adjusters for Concave or Convex Playfield
a. Begin the adjustment process by placing a straight edge (20" long) across the playfield directly
above the first climatic adjuster at either end. This will determine if your playfield is concave or
convex. You want your playfield concave. This can be determined by sliding a piece of paper back
and forth under the middle of the straight edge (the paper usually stopping 3" to 5" from the
side of the playfield). The pucks should drift toward the center of the scoring zone when shot.

dave_k

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i start by leveling the cabinet, once i have that sitting level i place a level over the playing surface right over the turnbuckles underneath...with a sheet of paper under the level, you want to work the leveling devices underneath until the paper hits two to four boards from the outside, so it becomes convex. do a little to each as the next one can affect the previously done one. there is no set way to get it convex as its more of a personal like. this should also be checked once a week for a month or so(more if your anal) as the wood wants to pull back to its original shape and the temps and conditions in the room like to mess with it. the things are very tedious but once you understand how they work its a cake walk.
in the last 8 years i have set up/delivered roughly 30 of these
hope this helps

OTLB

Banned
i start by leveling the cabinet, once i have that sitting level i place a level over the playing surface right over the turnbuckles underneath...with a sheet of paper under the level, you want to work the leveling devices underneath until the paper hits two to four boards from the outside, so it becomes convex. do a little to each as the next one can affect the previously done one. there is no set way to get it convex as its more of a personal like. this should also be checked once a week for a month or so(more if your anal) as the wood wants to pull back to its original shape and the temps and conditions in the room like to mess with it. the things are very tedious but once you understand how they work its a cake walk.
in the last 8 years i have set up/delivered roughly 30 of these
hope this helps

Interesting points, this is very informative

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've worked on over 500 long boards. ft level with machinist level on top for length wise, 2ft level and machinist level for crosswise, and straight edge and dollar bill for cross wise crown or dip:grin:

Glen

PS. I use to refurbish the shuffel boards for Fort Lewis, WA. back in the early 80's as well as most of the bars that had them in WA state.

QuickEdward

Silver Member
I think I'd rather move 3 GCs for free than to get paid to move and level one long shuffleboard... Shuffleboards are an evil that should be eliminated.

dave_k

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'd rather move 3 GCs for free than to get paid to move and level one long shuffleboard... Shuffleboards are an evil that should be eliminated.

if you have that much trouble with a shuffleboard, i would hate to see your pool table work. cheers

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Have starrett will travel

I used to have to deliver and set them up in Sacramento for a local company-
Rather level pool tables.... who understands shuffleboard players anyway?lol:wink:

Dartman

Silver Member
I used to have to deliver and set them up in Sacramento for a local company-
Rather level pool tables.... who understands shuffleboard players anyway?lol:wink:

When you play for fun and Drinks - who cares. :grin:

Dartman

Silver Member
A few live pics of the production KnockOff Shuffleboard.
Give it 6 months and these will start popping up everywhere.

Ships assembled except monitor needs to be mounted on top.
Player can switch view from down the alley to top view as shown.
Has a hot button like the Galaxy II and is prewired for a bill validator.
picture.php

Angle on screen is due to reflection.
No Sunglow needed. Puck has a ballbearing bottom.
When you play you see straight down the alley.
picture.php

picture.php

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Following are tips that would help you how to level the shuffleboard table.
1. Place your level on the shuffleboard table. Check the level to see if the shuffleboard table is unbalanced and note which direction the table leans.
2. Insert a wood shim under the shuffleboard table's leg.
3. Instruct your helper or helpers to tower the table onto the shim, taking care not to lower the table onto your hands.
4.Check to see whether the table is even using your level. If the table is not even, continue to add shims until it is level.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but you really haven't spent much time leveling shuffle boards have you?