Bob Byrne Estate Sale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do you have any more information on this? The closest I could find is an article from the 1870s in Scientific American.

I owned this book in the 70s, Bob....I gave it to a friend who writing a thesis for his PHD...
....it was on billiards.
I have since lost track of him....can't find him or the book on the web.

I also can't remember the author...there was a chapter on billiards which I think a man like
you would've found more interesting than me....and I liked it a lot.

One thing I remember from the book was that it recommended the height of the cushions
to be higher than all modern tables...and explained why in great detail.
I would love you, Dr Dave, and Freddy commenting on this.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing I remember from the book was that it recommended the height of the cushions
to be higher than all modern tables...and explained why in great detail.
I would love you, Dr Dave, and Freddy commenting on this.
That's what I used to think too (when I was still a pool physics "greenie"), but then I realized (like the pool table manufacturers over countless years of pool table evolution) that it would cause excessive wear in the rail groove and cause balls to hop off the cushions too much (with the balls being driven down into the slate by the higher cushion noses).

Regards,
Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's what I used to think too (when I was still a pool physics "greenie"), but then I realized (like the pool table manufacturers over countless years of pool table evolution) that it would cause excessive wear in the rail groove and cause balls to hop off the cushions too much (with the balls being driven down into the slate by the higher cushion noses).

Regards,
Dave

This book explained how, at a reasonable speed, the proper heigh sends the ball back
from the rail still on the bed...too low, the ball goes airborne, too high, the ball BOUNCES
airborne.....some brands of tables I avoided as a full time player...always a low problem.

I played on a table owned by Frank Taberski once...higher rails...I liked it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thanks Dave!
JoeyA

OK, there you have it. For those that were not successful in contacting Dennis by email but interested, I hope this helps (also posted in Carom section).

There is some very cool stuff here, I hope Bob's final wishes get fulfilled and many get very cool memorabilia that was once one of our sport's greats, Bob Byrne.

I guess you still need to contact Dennis by email to bid so please follow his directions.

Dave

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave!
JoeyA

You're welcome, Joey.

Just so everyone knows, I just spoke w/Dennis and he is revamping the catalog to make things easier to find (w/lot #s, etc.). He said he was going to start a new thread once ready so please look for it.

Thanks for all the interest so far, Dennis is overwhelmed by your support.

Dave