Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page when is it time to accept you just dont have it
Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-17-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGreg View Post
This is what I like about pool. In my opinion, Pool is one of the few sports that you can overcome not having a god given natural talent in order to become a top level player. I tell myself If I put in the work, dedicate myself, and stop making excuses then its possible.
No matter how unlikely it may be, its still possible and thats why I keep practicing.
Yes, and Neils Feijen is living proof of that. He's been known to have to work hard, while for other it comes more easily.

Coming back to the topic, deep down you know it rather quickly if you have it or not.
And then the most important time comes - what to do with this realisation?
Do you WANT to be good? Then keep practising and trying things out. This also means other things in life will have to wait.

Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore. And try even more wild things just for fun! And life is just great and relaxed.

I don't have it and that's fine! I still can give some carom players a run for their money, though

tashworth19191: I'm not sure what you're trying to say. We're allowed to give some evaluation to the things we experience in life. I can't say I buy into this strange pool hush-hush way of doing things you're trying to adress.
Makers are to be criticized publicly for the crap they do and to be applauded for outstanding work they do, as well as trainers.

Lots of trainers go into the habbit of teaching a student the ONE preferences they have. This is just very wrong.
I received great training and usually I was provided 3 options to do things when I had no clue. Or discuss 2 options I saw and 2 additional ones from the trainer, to try them out what would fit me best or to practise a certain aspect.
If a trainer is not doing that he's crap - simple as that.
If a trainer is not bringing you forward, he's also crap - because he (the trainer) could not adjust to the student. Also as simple as that.

The problem is in lots of people's minds - they cannot accept that they've done crap. Once you get past that you'll learn.

Cheers,
M

Last edited by M.G.; 08-17-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Old
  (#92)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-17-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashworth19191 View Post
One thing that bugged me while reading this post was the need to promote one instructor over the other two instructors you had lessons with. The guys you mentioned that didn't help your game have 100's of people that will tell you they were good instructors and did help them. So the need to bash someone kind of bugs me.
i did not bash anyone
i stated the truth as it pertains to my experience in one post
also this thread is not about that one post
the theme of the thread is when is it time to accept you dont have it
that has been the line the reponders have focused on

Last edited by bbb; 08-17-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Old
  (#93)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2017, 05:14 AM

1. Accept you don't have "it" as soon as you realize you don't have it.

2. Commit to lessons/learning/studying until you become as good as you can be without "it"--an A player for some!

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#94)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post

Coming back to the topic, deep down you know it rather quickly if you have it or not.
And then the most important time comes - what to do with this realisation?
Do you WANT to be good? Then keep practising and trying things out. This also means other things in life will have to wait.

Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore. And try even more wild things just for fun! And life is just great and relaxed.
Cheers,
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
1. Accept you don't have "it" as soon as you realize you don't have it.

2. Commit to lessons/learning/studying until you become as good as you can be without "it"--an A player for some!
matt
i think there should be a 3
quoting M.G.
after you admit you dont have it
Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore

Old
  (#95)
HoustonGreg
AzB Bronze Member
HoustonGreg is on a distinguished road

08-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Maybe the "It" factor should mean the natural ability to maintain focus and determination to achieve certain goals, rather than naturally being good at pool.

Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: