• Allen Hopkins

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Allsion Fisher

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

allprobilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Factors of prize money earnings yearly, business related, sponsors, etc (e.g.Nick Varner owns a cue company and distribution biz) . Anything they've done that's pool related income.
When Mizerak was alive I think he made a hefty sum yearly.
Here are my picks, interested in seeing what others come up with in names and numbers.

(for fun i put imaginary numbers to what I think they may make :)
Johnny Archer 175k
Allen Hopkins 350k
Nick Varner 200k
Jeanette Lee 400k
Charlie Williams 700k
Allison Fisher 150k
Chin Shun Yang 250k
Efren Reyes 200k
Yu Ram Cha 250k
Thorsten Hohmann 125k
Ralf Souquet 100k
Niels Feijen 100k

* dont take the numbers to seriously, just guestimates by my own abstract formulas

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
allprobilliards said:
Factors of prize money earnings yearly, business related, sponsors, etc (e.g.Nick Varner owns a cue company and distribution biz) . Anything they've done that's pool related income.
When Mizerak was alive I think he made a hefty sum yearly.
Here are my picks, interested in seeing what others come up with in names and numbers.

(for fun i put imaginary numbers to what I think they may make :)
Johnny Archer 175k
Allen Hopkins 350k
Nick Varner 200k
Jeanette Lee 400k
Charlie Williams 700k
Allison Fisher 150k
Chin Shun Yang 250k
Efren Reyes 200k
Yu Ram Cha 250k
Thorsten Hohmann 125k
Ralf Souquet 100k
Niels Feijen 100k

* dont take the numbers to seriously, just guestimates by my own abstract formulas
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE who's income comes soley from the billiards industry and is on your list makes anything near $700K. :D

I know some of the people on your list and me thinks all of them would like very much to make half of what you suggest.

Not sure of your formula but I am pretty sure it is flawed.

There just isn't that much money in pool.

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
I dunno...some of these dudes make the cash!!!

it cost about 500 bones for one day with Ralph S for a lesson......
that aint too bad a gig if you ask me!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Prince what's his name

The prince that was playing Django in the Mideast or Asia. He plays in some pro pool events and owns a nice little mideast country on the side.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee makes more than any other pool player alive by far. Her tournament winnings are a fraction of what she earns from private appearances, endorsements and the like. Try seven figures for her. This girl ain't no dummy!

Allen Hopkins makes big bucks thanks to his Super Billiards Expo. More than any pro player by far.

Mike Massey has done well for many years with his busy exhibition schedule. He is well paid for his shows.

Next is probably Allison. She is a sharp businesswoman and has several good contracts. Believe it or not, Ewa still does rather well in this department. I mean she is gorgeous, and in demand for personal appearances.

Efren has done well for himself, probably winning more money than anyone else over the last ten years. It seems as if he has won all the really big prizes, or many of them anyway. He has also been enriched by the Philipine government for his accomplishments.

Earl used to make relatively big money (over 300K) per year with lucrative endorsement deals. But that has all dryed up now.

My guess is the top players like Johnny, Ralf, Thorsten and a few others can earn around 150-200K a year from all their various dealings and tourneys.

The players who have done well traditionally are the ones who opened nice billiard rooms. A good medium sized room with alcohol can earn the owner a quarter mil or more. Most of the larger rooms are partnerships.

Other than that some of the guys who became cuemakers have also done quite well. Ernie was never more than a shortstop around L.A., but he has done okay for himself. Of course, he can do a lot more than just make cues in case you didn't know. Billy Stroud was a top player, but cuemaking has made him wealthy.

Danny Janes, Tim Scruggs, Paul Mottey and others have done quite a bit better as cuemakers than cue pushers.

Last edited:

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever

Some of those numbers are redicilous,Iwould say about 200 for the top people,I don't care if ralph gets 500 a day for a lesson ,he don't give lessons every day.How about some of the pros that visit here post someof there opinions ,you don't hav to give exact numbers but a opinion is good.A good pool player is always broke,not to mention the backers cuts figured in.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Dave "The Ginger Wizard" Pearson I was told was doing 200 exhibitions a year at $2000 a pop, not too shabby for a niche cueist.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
The prince that was playing Django in the Mideast or Asia. He plays in some pro pool events and owns a nice little mideast country on the side.

Hu

He is one of thirteen children, all of who are super wealthy. Way, way beyond anyone in the billiard industry. The wealthiest guy I know of in the billiard industry is probably Dick Helmstetter, the man behind Adam cues and other brands. He is also a partner in a little company called Calloway Golf.

The major slate guys are probably next, with table companies and large cue companies trailing behind. The largest grossing business in pool is almost assuredly Tweeten Fiber Co., the manufacturer of billiard chalk. Their numbers are huge, probably much higher than Brunswick Billiards.

But the Prince is way out of all their leagues. He is of the private jets, luxury yachts, mega mansions etc. Another class of wealth altogether.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2006 Ralf Souquet made $206,000 according to AZB. Efern Reyes has had a couple of years with earning of over 150K Plus his IPT win for about 500K (provided he was paid for it). Since no IPT only the top 3-4th place finishers of most of the major events will make some money on a yearly basis.

It makes sponsorship more critical for players. There really isn't enough big money tournaments to go around for the bulk of pool players.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
jay helfert said:
Jeanette Lee makes more than any other pool player alive by far. Her tournament winnings are a fraction of what she earns from private appearances, endorsements and the like. Try seven figures for her. This girl ain't no dummy!
I agree wholeheartedly that Jeanette is a smart business woman. More than that she is one of the hardest workers I know. But she ain't nowhere near 7 figures. Her and George got a nice little bump this year by snapping off the $40K for the ESPN doubles but even that is not very significant when you are talking about the million dollar mark. I have never talked money with Jeanette. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

I agree that the most financially successful players seem to be the ones who go into the industry side of the game. Just makes sense I guess.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
I agree that the most financially successful players seem to be the ones who go into the industry side of the game. Just makes sense I guess.

I agree. Some professional pool champions in the past, when they realized they couldn't make ends meet competing in tournaments around the world, did enter another side of the pool industry.

Allen Hopkins is an excellent example of somebody who has a great deal of passion for pool, and by golly, he managed to find a way to be successful at it. :)

JAM

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
JustPlay said:
In 2006 Ralf Souquet made $206,000 according to AZB. Efern Reyes has had a couple of years with earning of over 150K Plus his IPT win for about 500K (provided he was paid for it). Since no IPT only the top 3-4th place finishers of most of the major events will make some money on a yearly basis.

It makes sponsorship more critical for players. There really isn't enough big money tournaments to go around for the bulk of pool players.

Remember that for some reason NONE of Ralf Souquet's or other European players winnings from tournaments in Europe are listed on AZBilliards.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Unless Jeanette runs for office we'll never know for sure what she makes a year, but I believe it would be the most of any pro pool player. I don't count cuemakers that aren't pros or that don't play anymore. I also think Allen Hopkins is the top paid male that still plays on the pro level. Johnnyt

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennifer Chen may make more then any other pool player. As with Jennette Lee most not from pool but because of pool. In her Country she is a hugh celeb. TV show, acting, endorsments of all kinds.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
What's goin' on here ... ???

How about the famous Bucktooth ... ??? ... He's gotta' be one of the richest U.S. Players (when he plays, that is) ...

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

JCIN said:
I agree wholeheartedly that Jeanette is a smart business woman. More than that she is one of the hardest workers I know. But she ain't nowhere near 7 figures. Her and George got a nice little bump this year by snapping off the $40K for the ESPN doubles but even that is not very significant when you are talking about the million dollar mark. I have never talked money with Jeanette. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

Sorry to everyone who disagreed, but Jay is absolutely correct on this... I think I've said it before, but it's been estimated that Jeanette makes between $3 and $5 million a year between endorsements and tournaments. (from the Sports Business Daily, which is the trade journal for the sports biz industry... article written in late 2006)
:cool:

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a tough gig for anyone who wants to get rich. With good planning etc a handful of people have earned a comfortable living but none are rich. I wish like we all do that there was corporate $$$ in the game like NASCAR then everyone would have a shot at earning a good living and some would infact get rich.

In the UK the top guys make alot of $$$, the champion this year(john higgens) for example made 220K pounds or $440,000 for one tournment, they have corporate $$$ and pay the players and they get endorsement income. The UK is alot smaller and has alot less people and they generate more money than we do here in the US so the potential is there, problem is too many cock blockers sabataging the other guys.

Last edited:

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
lodini said:
Sorry to everyone who disagreed, but Jay is absolutely correct on this... I think I've said it before, but it's been estimated that Jeanette makes between $3 and $5 million a year between endorsements and tournaments. (from the Sports Business Daily, which is the trade journal for the sports biz industry... article written in late 2006)
:cool:
You are exactly right on that figure.