How much of a difference does a cue make?

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading a thread about the best playing cues....I saw names like Lambros, TAD, Scruggs, Tascarella, Southwest etc....So My question is Does a 3,4,5,$10,000 cure really play better than a OB, Jacoby, Joss, Schon ect...Or is this a mental way of justifying the price? Not passing judgement or knocking any cues

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I was reading a thread about the best playing cues....I saw names like Lambros, TAD, Scruggs, Tascarella, Southwest etc....So My question is Does a 3,4,5,$10,000 cure really play better than a OB, Jacoby, Joss, Schon ect...Or is this a mental way of justifying the price? Not passing judgement or knocking any cues

Earl Strickland and Allison Fisher won many titles with Cuetecs. Shane is taking down poeple with one as well. Alex P is considered one of the best players in the world, and he's always used production cues - Schon/Pred and Mezz. That should answer your question.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't gamble with anyone who plays with a REVO. They improved 2 balls by just taking it out of the box!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much of a difference does a cue make?

Considering we are talking about cue sports, a big difference. It is difficult to play without one I would say.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Earl Strickland and Allison Fisher won many titles with Cuetecs. Shane is taking down poeple with one as well. Alex P is considered one of the best players in the world, and he's always used production cues - Schon/Pred and Mezz. That should answer your question.

Yep. If you're not one of these players you definitely need a custom cue.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
How much of a difference does a cue make? Quite a lot, I'd say.
As a matter-of-fact, like Chopdoc says, I challenge anyone here to try and play a game of pool without one. :)

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Considering we are talking about cue sports, a big difference. It is difficult to play without one I would say.

Agree 100%, you just try playing without one

but on a serious note....
I think it's probably better to play with "your own cue".
That doesn't necessarily mean a $10,000 custom, but a cue that you know. The tip you're familiar with, each little nick in the shaft,
the spot on the butt you always grip that is the girth you know. It feels right.
Customs are nice, and they're cool for everyone to look at, but how much do you notice it when you are playing. Besides that, all
the ornamental ivory in the world isn't gonna make you a better player. Find the cue you like, the one that fits you, whether it's a
custom job, or a Players, learn to love it and it'll never let you down

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Tad did not pay players to play with his cue.
SW does not pay those Taiwanese and Chinese players to play with their cues. In fact, they happily pay for SW's prices.

Not too many pros would play with off the rack cues unless they were paid to do so.

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I personally think that the shaft/tip are all that really matter in terms of how you play.

For example, if you are use to playing with a low deflection shaft (I use the Z2 currently), your aiming points are different than with many other non low deflection shafts.

I can't really tell much a difference in the rest of the stick other than cosmetics.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Tad did not pay players to play with his cue.
SW does not pay those Taiwanese and Chinese players to play with their cues. In fact, they happily pay for SW's prices.

Not too many pros would play with off the rack cues unless they were paid to do so.

Kevin Cheng just left his SW to play with a Meucci....

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Cue to Cue

Butt thickness, shaft diameter and taper, tip, and weight all make a difference

Add length to that.

Just an anecdotal story but just got a 60 inch sneaky and have been playing with it for a month. Regular shaft at about 12.75 with a regular tip. Ran to play in a tourney and accidentally picked up my old cue that has a Tiger Ultra XD and sniper layered tip. About 12.25mm. I was getting out of shape by the fourth ball and rattling long rail shots all night. Plus if felt like a kids toy at only 2 inches shorter.

It was very eye opening because I can usually change from mine to a house cue with no issue.