What's the point of inlays?

Sure they do nothing, but a car with a 140 hp engine will also drive you to get milk. So anything extra is "decoration". Heck my old Matrix had a 110 hp engine. Pens, watches, etc... also. You don't even need a watch with all the phones having a clock. Pants? Shoes? My $50 pair keeps my feet safe as much as a $500 custom boot. Tooled saddles on horses? Hell, owning horses, who needs em now?

Exactly so inlays serve no purpose other than to possibly undermine the integrity of the cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly so inlays serve no purpose other than to possibly undermine the integrity of the cue.

Yes inlays serve no purpose other than decoration, and? Did you just discover something new here? LOL Were we all buying fancy cues thinking we'd play like Earl till your post?

Yes inlays serve no purpose other than decoration, and? Did you just discover something new here? LOL Were we all buying fancy cues thinking we'd play like Earl?

I don't know why pros get inlays either. Pool is a sport, so cue makers should focus on making cues that improve performance.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why pros get inlays either. Pool is a sport, so cue makers should focus on making cues that improve performance.

Why do you care? Buy the type of cue you like and don't worry about what others do.

To some people aesthetics matter and they take pride in having a nice looking cue. Same way people take pride in a nice looking house with attractive paint and a well tended yard. Doesn't keep you any warmer in the winter but it can be nice to have something that looks nice and that you can take pride in.

Why do you care? Buy the type of cue you like and don't worry about what others do.

To some people aesthetics matter and they take pride in having a nice looking cue. Same way people take pride in a nice looking house with attractive paint and a well tended yard. Doesn't keep you any warmer in the winter but it can be nice to have something that looks nice and that you can take pride in.

I just think we should take pool cues out of the stone ages...thankfully we are moving away from the standard irish linen...inlay...high deflection shafts...we have ld's, different grip technology...shaft technology..cueball technology...rail/pocket technology etc.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They do, new shafts and tips come out every year. Does not mean we should all look like we live in North Korea with the same cue design. But many very good players play better with a non LD shaft and with older tip design. Basically you are making an argument for school uniforms vs just wearing what you like. And you have not explained the existence of other luxury items, none of them should really exist. What is the difference between a $3 and a $100 pen when it comes to marking a paper? This is the same reason fancier cues exist.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was playing some high dollar one pocket
i got about $20000 down

overnight i had some inlays put in my cue
i won all my money back and then some

as i recall eddie taylor told me he couldn't make a bank without inlays in his cue

i thought everyone knew inlays make you play better

then again i see the thread was started by a guy with no feed back

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Own What You Like & Can Afford......Otherwise Just Admire.

Distinction - Uniqueness - Differentiation - Creativity - Appearance -Individuality, etc.

I could easily cite another 1/2 dozen reasons but it always comes down to one's tastes & affordability.

Without inlays or rings, it is just a simple cue. Nothing wrong with that......functions perfectly fine too.

Like ice cream, you can enjoy any favorite flavor by itself. Personally, I prefer some toppings on mine,
even if it's only syrup, and that is what cues designs are all about. It is what one likes and can afford.

Matt B.

Isaac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that most snooker cues look indistinguishable.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Check out the top selling golf clubs and tennis rackets...you will see it's about the technology...not art.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816
"That's what's going on here, especially with the two positions for the weighted cylinder that the company calls a gravity core. Better players tend to have a consistent impact location, so the gravity core can be placed to line up with that area. "
http://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/drivers/callaway-big-bertha-alpha-816-2016

Wilson Blade 98 (18x20) Countervail Tennis Racket
"Wilson's innovative new Countervail technology and a much softer feel. Countervail directs the ball’s energy within the frame rather than the players arm, leading to reduced muscle fatigue and recovery time as you spend less energy every swing, making this racket a must-use for players looking for tremendous response and control."
https://www.tennisnuts.com/shop/ten...ilson-blade-98-18x20-countervail-1273525.html

JOSS JOS02 POOL CUE
"Set against a background of stained Figured Flame Birch, six sets of mother of pearl diamond and circle shaped inlays are connected by ebony lines. The striking contrast between light and dark continues up the cue with the black and white Irish linen wrap and stained Figured Flame Birch on the forearm"
https://www.pooldawg.com/product/joss-jos02-mother-of-pearl-circles-pool-cue-stick

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool isn't golf or tennis. A pool cue doesn't need tech to perform at a top level. Even if you went super techy with a Revo shaft you could stick it on a fancy inlayed butt and have the tech and the art. It's not an either or proposition. No tech in the butt really is going to effect the performance of a cue, so you can have a plain butt or you can get something fancy, your choice, but it doesn't impact the performance either way.

Last edited:
Pool isn't golf or tennis. A pool cue doesn't need tech to perform at a top level. Even if you went super techy with a Revo shaft you could stick it on a fancy inlayed butt and have the tech and the art. It's not an either or proposition. No tech in the butt really is going to effect the performance of a cue, so you can have a plain butt or you can get something fancy, your choice, but it does impact the performance either way.

People probably said the same thing about these back in the day.

thomas-e-wilson-success-driver-hickory-wood-shaft-golf-club-antique-old-4dda545ff774a469780c1b54c4e5245d.jpg

m0GbMy9r5V8WhO6B2tri7wg.jpg

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yessiree

i was playing some high dollar one pocket
i got about $20000 down

overnight i had some inlays put in my cue
i won all my money back and then some

as i recall eddie taylor told me he couldn't make a bank without inlays in his cue

i thought everyone knew inlays make you play better

then again i see the thread was started by a guy with no feed back

This is the truth. And after that match, Dean told me it helped his game so much
that he was thinking about doing away with the cue altogether a just play with an inlay.
jack

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
This is the truth. And after that match, Dean told me it helped his game so much
that he was thinking about doing away with the cue altogether a just play with an inlay.
jack

And later you can brag to all your buddies that you got (wait for it) 'inlaid'. :grin-square:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People probably said the same thing about these back in the day.

Not really. It was a pretty quick transition I believe in golf and tennis. They embraced new tech as it came out because it made a significant performance difference for them and they had to to keep up with the competition. Again, pool isn't golf or tennis. I play or have avidly played all three. It's not like tech hasn't been tried for many years in cues. Some of it has caught on as useful (LD shafts) and the rest has fallen away. The Revo is interesting and I think we'll see more advancements in composite shafts to come. Still doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to an inlaid butt. Inlaid or not, the performance doesn't change.

You keep on tilting at windmills though, haha.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't see inlays in hockey sticks...I get that its an art...but it doesn't do anything for the physics of the stick...might even hinder it who knows. Anyway, are you looking for a piece of art or a piece of sporting equipment to play with?

Well the splice joins denser tropical hardwood with maple, which helps give better balance. The points of the splice helps move some of that weight further up toward the shaft, and the configuration of the splice can also help minimalize wood movement, in kind of the same way radially-laminated shafts do. The side effect is that it is a decorative as well as functional joint. It's also a joint that gives a maximum of surface area for gluing.

Also, I'd think pool is a bit more civilized than hockey - we're not face-checking other players with our cues. I'm sure there's some status thing going on, some personalization, some patronizing of a favorite artist/cue maker.... Can you think of another sport where we're afforded such luxury?

Last edited: