What's the point of inlays?

You don't see inlays in hockey sticks...I get that its an art...but it doesn't do anything for the physics of the stick...might even hinder it who knows. Anyway, are you looking for a piece of art or a piece of sporting equipment to play with?

Last edited:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't see inlays in hockey sticks...I get that its an art...but it doesn't do anything for the physics of the stick...might even hinder it who knows. Anyway, are you looking for a piece of art or a piece of sporting equipment to play with?
Ego of the craftsman and mucho dinero for him also. Although the cue maker (ahem—cancel "maker" and add craftsman or Craft-Person) might not agree.
Great wood with wonderful grain and texture gouged out for points and inlays. Kind of silly to me. Fine technique for sure, but…

(The worms are over flowing the can.)
Dave

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inlays usually don't have a point. They're rounded, unless you're referring to OB's Infinity Inlays. 🤓

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you serious?

They are decorations.

I don't see people swinging pool cues around beating on things. If Hockey sticks didn't get beat on a bet you would see some fancy inlays and such. As it is they are in fact highly decorated.

F5V10WOFPWWQSH4.RECT2100.jpg

Yes, it takes some skill to make a fancy cue that still plays right. Embellishment can degrade the playing qualities of a cue.

You sound a bit critical and judgmental of what others like in a pool cue. Not sure if that is how you intend to come off.

Did you marry an ugly woman?
Do you drive an ugly car and live in an ugly house?

Surely that woman should not be wearing any make up. And she should just wrap herself in some burlap.

Have you ever seen high grade firearms? Why all the engraving? And yes, even inlays.
Knives? Same thing.

To answer your question:
are you looking for a piece of art or a piece of sporting equipment to play with?
I have many cues. I don't have many cues with inlays, and those that do have a few simple inlays. I am not particularly into inlays. I like thinks like ivory diamonds.

I am looking for both, but in addition I am looking for historic pieces, antiques.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the point of a radio in a car? Or electric windows instead of manual?

You are correct that they aren't necessary but sometimes they are nice to look at and set our equipment apart from others.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This seems an odd question. Inlays look nice in a cue. Some people like things that look nice. A hockey stick gets the crap beaten out of it in a game. A pool cue doesn't.

KMRUNOUT

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently hockey players and its fans are too stupid to appreciate Art.

Most dont have teeth, and neither do the players.

Ken

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What's the point of a good looking woman? That question is about the same level of silliyness as the OP's.

Inlays make the cue look good. Having a good looking cue makes me feel good. Feeling good makes me want to play more pool, etc, etc.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One person's art is another person's trash.
One person's music is another person's noise.
I don't force my art or music on others.
Dave

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Ken

But when they are being interviewed you can understand them, even most of the foreign players can speak better English than many Americans.

Plus it is rare that you read about any of them beating their wife, GF, get suspended for drug abuse, or committing any other crime.

🎱

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

Ken

You are a moron Ken.

How stupid can they be? They only make millions more ever year than a cue maker or pool player.

Cues aren't art to everyone, get over it

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
What's the point of boobs? I have two of them and they're worthless. I tried playing with them, but it just wasn't the same.
Points on a cue serve two purposes. Decoration, of course, is one reason. Adding structural strength is the other. This fact is readily apparent in the full-splice versions.
Having said that, however, I believe it was George Balabushka who claimed that splices effected the hit of a cue, and not in a positive way. :smile:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

I just can't believe your comparing hockey sticks with pool cues.. They serve totally difference purposes, and for the record, nobody uses a wood stick anymore anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hockey sticks have inlays.

When one player hits his teeth on the other players stick, he leaves a small part of his tooth.

The indentation gets filled in with super glue.

I just can't believe your comparing hockey sticks with pool cues.. They serve totally difference purposes, and for the record, nobody uses a wood stick anymore anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be the future of pool too with revo...anyway cue art is fine if you want to hang it on the wall...I buy a stick for performance...no difference than I would a tennis racket.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be the future of pool too with revo...anyway cue art is fine if you want to hang it on the wall...I buy a stick for performance...no difference than I would a tennis racket.

Good for you. Next up visit the watch and pen forums and ask why they spend so much on fancy watches and pens. Cars also. And purses, jackets, jeans (some are like $300 when a nice pair of Lees are $20), food (ever see a $300 a plate dinner?), shoes, jewelry, boats, private planes, first class seats, high priced comic books, stamps, coins. You will be a busy guy. Superman #1, just some cheap paper and ink after all. Hell, the art is not even that good in it, why buy that when you can read the exact copy for like $1 on a reproduction.

Last edited:
Good for you. Next up visit the watch and pen forums and ask why they spend so much on fancy watches and pens. Cars also. And purses, jackets, jeans (some are like $300 when a nice pair of Lees are $20), food (ever see a $300 a plate dinner?), shoes, jewelry, boats, private planes, first class seats, high priced comic books, stamps, coins. You will be a busy guy. Superman #1, just some cheap paper and ink after all. Hell, the art is not even that good in it, why buy that when you can read the exact copy for like $1 on a reproduction.

You are missing the point entirely...the inlays serve no purpose to the cue OTHER than decoration...so are essentially useless eye candy. If anything they take away from the performance of the stick...at best they do nothing. I can find a pool stick made of solid gold I'm sure...but you aren't going to play with it.

Here...play with this cue...it's $150,000. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_intimidator.php

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are missing the point entirely...the inlays serve no purpose to the cue OTHER than decoration...so are essentially useless eye candy. If anything they take away from the performance of the stick...at best they do nothing. I can find a car made of gold I'm sure...but you aren't going to race with it.

Sure they do nothing, but a car with a 140 hp engine will also drive you to get milk. Why do you need a car for racing? Waste of time and money. So anything extra is "decoration". Heck my old Matrix had a 110 hp engine. Pens, watches, etc... also. You don't even need a watch with all the phones having a clock. Pants? Shoes? My $50 pair keeps my feet safe as much as a $500 custom boot. Tooled saddles on horses? Hell, owning horses, who needs em now?

That is the whole point of luxury items, is that they really serve no point aside form their intrinsic value and value to the owner. A fancy cue is as much a luxury item as a Rolex.

Last edited: