Need Help - Cloth Choice

langsky

Registered
I know another thread about cloth, right. The problem is that I have spent the last couple of days reading everything I could on and off the forum and I am more confused than ever.
I currently have Championship Invitational with Teflon on my 8 ft Legacy Billiards table. Unfortunately (or potentially fortunately) I have to have the table recovered due to a botched install by the installer hired by the dealer. I have chosen a reputable installer, now I need to decide on the cloth.
I want to go with a worsted cloth based on everything that I have read. I enjoy playing 9 ball the most, but there will be other games played as well. I spend roughly 16 hours a week on the table and I want a cloth that will last a number of years before needing to be replaced. Everything I read tends to make me lean towards Simonis 860. I am willing to spend the money, but is that overkill for my home table? I do want something that will wear well based on the amount of time I spend on the table.
I have considered Championship Tour Edition as well as looked at Velocity Pro and Proform. I read varied opinions about all of these, but the bottom line is that I want a good worsted cloth that will last me a handful of years.
Please help me end my confusion so that I can decide on a cloth and get the recover scheduled.

I should also mention that I am a novice player and am not currently looking to enter in any tournaments.

Edit: One more thing, I need the cloth in wine color, so 860HR is not an option. I wish they made it in other colors.

Last edited:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No replies?
Try the correct part of the forum for questions about pool tables.
And that would be …?
(Keep scanning down and you will find it.)
Dave

langsky

Registered
No replies?
Try the correct part of the forum for questions about pool tables.
And that would be …?
(Keep scanning down and you will find it.)
Dave

Sorry Dave, I am new here and I am not sure where the best place for this question is.

langsky

Registered
Dammit...NOBODY 'needs' wine (colored pool cloth:smile::smile:).

:D Attached is a pic of my bar with table and custom cue rack. It just would not look right with blue or green.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 634

Spikeithard

Registered
I just had the Camel colour Championship teflon cloth installed last week.
It look great and rolls great BUT I keep noticing when the ball is coming to a slow down near the end of the roll, it tends to take a wobble to one side. As far as I know my slate is level. But to be honest, the wobble at the end appears to be very abrupt and could almmost not possibly be a slate issue. Is the nap (spelling?) causing this issue? will it work out over time? needs a good brushing?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
:D Attached is a pic of my bar with table and custom cue rack. It just would not look right with blue or green.

That cloth looks in good shape...What is the nature of the problem?
...if the installer didn't stretch the cloth enough....
...get a good billiard mechanic to re-install the cloth you already have.

I've had cloths re-stretched before....and they played well after.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spike,
When I had championship cloth it did the same thing. I attributed it to the nap or the "tightness, or lack there of, of the weave". It calmed down after a few months. I dont have the same issue with the simmonis 860 on there now.

langsky

Registered
It look great and rolls great BUT I keep noticing when the ball is coming to a slow down near the end of the roll, it tends to take a wobble to one side. As far as I know my slate is level. But to be honest, the wobble at the end appears to be very abrupt and could almmost not possibly be a slate issue. Is the nap (spelling?) causing this issue? will it work out over time? needs a good brushing?

Mine does the same thing with Championship Invitational cloth.

langsky

Registered
That cloth looks in good shape...What is the nature of the problem?
...if the installer didn't stretch the cloth enough....
...get a good billiard mechanic to re-install the cloth you already have.

I've had cloths re-stretched before....and they played well after.

I am in a dispute on the install of the table and fabric. Here are some pics. Bottom line is that in order to properly install the bed cloth I will need new cloth because all of the pockets were cut short and stapled like the picture. So, now is my chance to go to worsted cloth. I was not given a choice when I first purchased the table. I have learned a lot since then.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 560
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 532
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cloth

I have cloth in all colors.

Burgundy and wine. number 1 and 2 color of cloth sold in the USA.

Rob.M

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rails don't look very straight either, it's a shame people don't take any pride in their "profession." Sweet looking pool room though. I think Classic green would look just as good though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, it will work out over time. There is a small break in period, for sure.