WCBS + Matchroom

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Both making announcements the same week. What the hell is going on :). Is pool gonna get it's day in court? I said it a couple years ago or less that the waters are stirring, but had no idea it was coming from these two....

There’s good news for the world’s best practitioners of billiards sports and the tens of millions of fans around the globe who follow pool, snooker and carom.

''The World Confederation of Billiards Sports (WCBS) can now announce that pool, snooker, and carom will be included in the 2021 World Games to be hosted in the US city of Birmingham, Alabama, July 15 - 25."

The announcement was made during the recently held SportAccord General Assembly held in Bangkok, Thailand.

The World Games, first held in 1981, are an international multi-sport event that showcases sports that are not contested in the Olympic Games, but are under the Olympic umbrella. The World Games are organized and governed by the International World Games Association (IWGA), and recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The World Games are held every four years, one year after the Summer Olympic Games.

Some of the other sports that are held at The World Games are acrobatic gymnastics, ultimate Frisbee, karate, powerlifting, finswimming, squash, korfball, billiards, water skiing, and dance sport.

The World Games often serve as a spring board for certain sports to eventually be chosen to participate in the Olympic Games. Sports that began in the World Games that are now regularly contested in the Olympic Games include badminton, beach volleyball, trampoline, rugby sevens, taekwondo, triathlon, and women's weightlifting.

The billiard disciplines of Carom, Pool and Snooker have been part of the program of every World Games since the 2001 Games in Akita Japan.

*The World Confederation of Billiards Sports is the international umbrella organization that represents the major cue sports, including carom billiards, pool games of several varieties, and snooker. For more information regarding the WCBS, please visit http://www.wcbs-billiards.org/.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both making announcements the same week. What the hell is going on :). Is pool gonna get it's day in court? I said it a couple years ago or less that the waters are stirring, but had no idea it was coming from these two....

There’s good news for the world’s best practitioners of billiards sports and the tens of millions of fans around the globe who follow pool, snooker and carom.

''The World Confederation of Billiards Sports (WCBS) can now announce that pool, snooker, and carom will be included in the 2021 World Games to be hosted in the US city of Birmingham, Alabama, July 15 - 25."

The announcement was made during the recently held SportAccord General Assembly held in Bangkok, Thailand.

The World Games, first held in 1981, are an international multi-sport event that showcases sports that are not contested in the Olympic Games, but are under the Olympic umbrella. The World Games are organized and governed by the International World Games Association (IWGA), and recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The World Games are held every four years, one year after the Summer Olympic Games.

Some of the other sports that are held at The World Games are acrobatic gymnastics, ultimate Frisbee, karate, powerlifting, finswimming, squash, korfball, billiards, water skiing, and dance sport.

The World Games often serve as a spring board for certain sports to eventually be chosen to participate in the Olympic Games. Sports that began in the World Games that are now regularly contested in the Olympic Games include badminton, beach volleyball, trampoline, rugby sevens, taekwondo, triathlon, and women's weightlifting.

The billiard disciplines of Carom, Pool and Snooker have been part of the program of every World Games since the 2001 Games in Akita Japan.

*The World Confederation of Billiards Sports is the international umbrella organization that represents the major cue sports, including carom billiards, pool games of several varieties, and snooker. For more information regarding the WCBS, please visit http://www.wcbs-billiards.org/.

While US Open-Matchroom Sports is definitely quite benefitial, inclusion of billiards at World Games 2021 will help the sport very little. It may actually help the medalists to get some support from their respective governments but other than that? Big zero...

Island Drive

Silver Member
While US Open-Matchroom Sports is definitely quite benefitial, inclusion of billiards at World Games 2021 will help the sport very little. It may actually help the medalists to get some support from their respective governments but other than that? Big zero...

Sports that began in the World Games that are now regularly contested in the Olympic Games include badminton, beach volleyball, trampoline, rugby sevens, taekwondo, triathlon, and women's weightlifting.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sports that began in the World Games that are now regularly contested in the Olympic Games include badminton, beach volleyball, trampoline, rugby sevens, taekwondo, triathlon, and women's weightlifting.

And?? Billiard sports were contested at World Games since 2001 and nothing happened. If you knew at least a little who leads World confederation of billiard sports then you would know that billiards has actually 0.0% chance of Olympic Games inclusion...

Island Drive

Silver Member
And?? Billiard sports were contested at World Games since 2001 and nothing happened. If you knew at least a little who leads World confederation of billiard sports then you would know that billiards has actually 0.0% chance of Olympic Games inclusion...

So this is bad news for pool?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

Nice that it is in the USA

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm curious. Are we all incapable of discussing anything without tossing in some kind of "I know more than you" insult at another user?

Is that what we have become? Just a group of people wanting to prove how much more we know than everyone else?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious. Are we all incapable of discussing anything without tossing in some kind of "I know more than you" insult at another user?

Is that what we have become? Just a group of people wanting to prove how much more we know than everyone else?
Mike, I've not been on here nearly as long as many, but it didn't take me long to learn that you just have to sift through all the responses on virtually all the threads you might have any interest in, to find the ones that make this forum worthwhile, while trying your best to ignore the meaningless / hurtful ones. Sometimes, in a weak moment, we find that impossible to do, particularly if it strikes a sensitive chord.

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I know the aiming threads are ugly, but damn this is a simple post about two good things happening for pool and by the 4th post we have a user puffing up their chest and calling out someone for not knowing as much as he thinks he knows about an organization promoting pool. What is the point behind something like this? We are all supposed to be people who have in common a love for the sport. When did that love for sports become a dick measuring contest?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the aiming threads are ugly, but damn this is a simple post about two good things happening for pool and by the 4th post we have a user puffing up their chest and calling out someone for not knowing as much as he thinks he knows about an organization promoting pool. What is the point behind something like this? We are all supposed to be people who have in common a love for the sport. When did that love for sports become a dick measuring contest?
It was not puffing up my chest,i apologize if it sounded that way. I am just angry at Ian Anderson for the way he acts as a president of WPA and WCBS and I will leave it at that. And once again - my anger was NOT pointed towards OP,i even concured that Matchroom Sports getting involved in US Open is a good thing..

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Marek, you probably just caught me in a touchy mood this morning. I am with you on wishing that the WPA and WCBS could do more for the game.

Sorry about the flame this morning.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, you probably just caught me in a touchy mood this morning. I am with you on wishing that the WPA and WCBS could do more for the game.

Sorry about the flame this morning.

I am glad that we are good ;) and i will try to choose less emotional wording next time as it is apparent that the confusion can creep in quite easily :thumbup:
and to OP - billiards being at World Games is not a bad thing,it is potentially a good thing but the opportunity to use it as a foundation of something bigger is wasted time and time again by those in charge and from that stems my frustration..

Island Drive

Silver Member
I am glad that we are good ;) and i will try to choose less emotional wording next time as it is apparent that the confusion can creep in quite easily :thumbup:
and to OP - billiards being at World Games is not a bad thing,it is potentially a good thing but the opportunity to use it as a foundation of something bigger is wasted time and time again by those in charge and from that stems my frustration..

Marek....I feel your pain. I worked ''in office'' at the BCA when it moved to Colorado Springs from Iowa, with their pipe dream unplanned plan of getting into the Olympics because the USOC was here. I walked after 2 years. I ran 3 programs, and saw total lack of caring for the sport. Why? Over 90% of equipment sold goes into homes ''was the boards mindset''....their narrow minded thinking. They were just like pool players....''it was all about the money''. Sad but true. Most on the board were ''foxes in the henhouse''. Board members in the 21st century walked away from the game. We had 3 million in the bank back then. NOW....phufffffff.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
[/SIZE][/B]

Marek....I feel your pain. I worked ''in office'' at the BCA when it moved to Colorado Springs from Iowa, with their pipe dream unplanned plan of getting into the Olympics because the USOC was here. I walked after 2 years. I ran 3 programs, and saw total lack of caring for the sport. Why? Over 90% of equipment sold goes into homes ''was the boards mindset''....their narrow minded thinking. They were just like pool players....''it was all about the money''. Sad but true. Most on the board were ''foxes in the henhouse''. Board members in the 21st century walked away from the game. We had 3 million in the bank back then. NOW....phufffffff.

I presented a proposal to the BCA several years before (late 1980's) to produce a nationwide tour of twelve televised events. Each one was a $100,000 tournament, for a total of $1,200,00 in prize money. I needed one million to pull it off. It would have been huge for the sport and as I explained at the presentation they would have sold a lot more pool tables and billiard equipment if we could get the kids interested in Pool as a career. At the time I understood they had over five million in the bank.

They turned us down (Joe Porper was my partner). A few years later the BCA did help me fund the original North American 9-Ball Championships which was to later become the U.S. Bar Table Championships. So there was that, but with not nearly the impact a nationwide tour would have had. That's Pool! :rolleyes: