New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Capt D

Registered
Hello all,
My name is Dallas Furman. After being out of the game for over 20 years, life kind of got in the way, I was digging through my closet and found my old cues. I got them out and fondled them some and decided to take them with me on my next job. Since then I have only played a couple of times but kind of forgot how much I enjoyed the game.

I play with a Schon and a Bludworth and have several McDermots that need refurbished. It seems that there has been a lot of new technology introduced during my hiatus and I am looking forward to what seems a new experience with an old love.

Glad to be here and look forward to the experience.

Dallas

Reposado

Registered
hello all

I am in Corpus Christi, TX. Happy to meet up and play with anyone locally. I enjoy playing all of the typical games on a pool table. I also like 3-cushion although I'm terrible at it. I've been playing on and off for many years now.

I will be buying a table shortly since there isn't a great poolroom in this town right now, much to my dismay.

poolf4natic

Registered
Yay, I can post now!

Hi Everyone,

Jeff here, new to the forums and relatively new to pool (started playing seriously a little over a year ago).

Shoot a beautiful wrapless Southwest I was lucky enough to pick up at U.S. Open when Shane got #5.

Watched the Frost/Orcollo match - I play just like Dennis, minus the insane shot-making and position play... :eek::p

As the handle implies, I'm quite in love with the game and super excited to join the AZ forums!

Southwest.jpg

Shane.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings :D

After 30 years, I finally broke down and bought a table just before Christmas. AFter spending time here and on various sites, I quickly realized that not only had I forgotten 90% of my game, but that I had been doing most of it wrong anyway :smile:

I am from SW PA...now Florida. I too played a lot in the eighties...in my twenties. Walked away from it and came back. I am very glad I did.

Welcome back to the game, and welcome to AZB! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Stick around. It's a great community. :)

Rackem259

Hello

I am basically a new player that likes to be informed before I purchase. I retired and moved to SW Florida living in a gaited community we have a nice table that the residents use at our clubhouse. Several of the men meet daily for fun and I want to join them. Ive never owned a cue or table, only playing at bars when I was younger. I plan on buying a new cue and enjoying the retired life.
Any suggestions on a cue or this journey are much appreciated.

Thanks
GB

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
If you plan on enjoying the retired life, you wouldn't take up pool!
Just kidding, welcome to the forum.
As far as cue recommendations, this isn't really the place, but there are plenty of threads about buying a cue in the Main forum; just search for "new cue recommendations" or "First cue recommendations", or similar.

Dinoboy

Registered
Hello members! Glad to be back after so many years. Im Dino Frederick bentivegna, "Freddy the Beard" Bentivegna's son. I'm from the south loop in Chicago. Bank pool is my game, second is one-pocket. I also used to be a chef, and restaurant owner called "Dinoboys". I was also a custom furniture maker, and home remodeler. I went to the Chicago Billiard Cafe, and then Chris's Billiard's, as well as red shoe's, with my dad every day and night since the late eighties. We also traveled to all the trade shows and major tournaments together. Just so you know, i have no say or influence in Banking with the bankingwiththebeard.com. My sister has total control over that, so i cant help anyone in that regard. happy to be here!

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second life at Pool

I'm glad to be here! This is my second attempt in life at pool, the first being in the early 90s. Two decades ago, Julians on 14th St in NYC was my pool home. I got good enough to be competitive and play in a few other places in the city, including Amsterdam (when it was uptown) and Chelsea Billiards. However, I was nowhere near the level of players like Ginky or Tony Robles, whom I was fortunate to watch live when the underground pool scene was still popular in NYC.

I would like to think I'm still young enough to at least be a good A player one day, if my mental and physical attributes don't fail. For now, I'm just a pool noob who loves to practice and study the game. Good luck to all!

Ironhead1970

Registered
New guy

Hey guys I live in San Antonio, Texas I'm a 100% disabled veteran got into the game about 6 months ago. I don't want to hear it I'm in the local APA league. I play everyday at least a hour if not more working on my stroke and fundamentals I believe that without a strong base I'll never get good. I'm planning on going to a pool school up in Dallas in June for 3 days. You know of any drills that work on your stroke let me know. I do long straight in shots for 30 minutes first thing I do before anything else.

Thank you

zman1974

Registered
I started playing pool around 10 years of age. A neighborhood friend's Dad had a pool table. At school lunch a bunch of us would go across the street to a local arcade and shhot 8 and 9 ball for our lunch money lol. That was as competitive as I ever got. Really haven't played much over the last 25 years, but my son really loves playing and so I have recently got back into the game with an eye towards eventually joining a league. I play 1-2 times a week, and live in Fort Myers, FL.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
I grew up playing on a Brunswick Anniversary my parents bought with a house in Michigan. Played daily for years on that table, and then continued in college with friends at local bars, etc. After graduating college, I played off and on, but nothing like before. After 13 years of this, a buddy of mine asks me to join a league with him (2 years ago now). Have been having a blast in league, and it really lit the fire in me again. Now playing daily to some degree, and just bought a 9 footer yesterday (unfortunately the Anniversary I grew up on was sold when my folks retired). I've got my wife into playing, and I'm working on getting my 5 and 2 year old into it.

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool forum!
I started playing pool as a little kid on a ratty old table that we kept level with playing cards. Just out of high school in 87, I started working at a small local pool hall in early 88 for something to do, strictly 9 foot tables.

Looking back, I sure wish I would have figured out a way to buy some of the nicer sticks that used to be fairly common then. So many Joss, Schon, Richard Black, McDermott, Mali, Meucci... So much fun traveling in Oregon going to various pool halls, meeting people, getting sharked and learning a ton.

Unfortunately, as life moved along, so did my priorities and pool unfortunately had to take a backseat. It's always been a favorite pastime of mine. One which I wish I had never stopped playing. I've picked up my Meucci again for the first time in many years and I wish I could say after all these years it's like riding a bike ;)
One big regret was passing up the opportunity to buy some of the nicer Schon and Joss cues that used to fill the display cases at several shops. I'm really hoping to find an older Schon or Joss from the late 80s and early 90s. Kind of a way to finally get something I couldn't ever afford back then.

So glad to find this forum! Thank you guys for keeping it alive in here!

Corey

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool forum!
I started playing pool as a little kid on a ratty old table that we kept level with playing cards. Just out of high school in 87, I started working at a small local pool hall in early 88 for something to do.

Looking back, I sure wish I would have figured out a way to buy some of the nicer sticks that used to be fairly common then. So many Joss, Schon, Richard Black, McDermott, Mali, Meucci... So much fun traveling in Oregon going to various pool halls, meeting people, getting sharked and learning a ton.

Unfortunately, as life moved along, so did my priorities and pool unfortunately had to take a backseat. It's always been a favorite pastime of mine. One which I wish I had never stopped playing. I've picked up my Meucci again for the first time in many years and I wish I could say after all these years it's like riding a bike ;)
One big regret was passing up the opportunity to buy some of the nicer Schon and Joss cues that used to fill the display cases at several shops. I'm really hoping to find an older Schon or Joss from the late 80s and early 90s. Kind of a way to finally get something I couldn't ever afford back then.

So glad to find this forum! Thank you guys for keeping it alive in here!

Corey

067111ee1c05244c1e8b24d3878485f0.jpg

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't knock that Mootchie you show . That's a beautiful stick. The last good cue I had was that model only with the block lettering Meucci Original. Short of cash one day and had to pawn it.

kempf80

Registered
Hi I'm a long time lurker from Finland and I've been playing pool now for 15 years. I started on an 8-foot table and after a couple of years moved to 9-footers for extra challenge. I'm not a champion caliber player, maybe somewhere between a B and an A.
This forum has impressed me with all kinds of insight to the game I didn't know existed until I got to reading through all the informative threads in here. I hope to make some contributions of my own whenever possible.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi I'm a long time lurker from Finland and I've been playing pool now for 15 years. I started on an 8-foot table and after a couple of years moved to 9-footers for extra challenge. I'm not a champion caliber player, maybe somewhere between a B and an A.
This forum has impressed me with all kinds of insight to the game I didn't know existed until I got to reading through all the informative threads in here. I hope to make some contributions of my own whenever possible.

Welcome.

Your post raises a question to me on how people in other countries might determine what speed a player is...A,B,C...
How would you come to that conclusion?

Dave

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello
I am a middle aged retired school teacher.
Love to shoot pool and play checkers....( REAL checkers. If you understand the trunk lines to the "Bristol Cross" and the "Ayershire Lassie", then you know what I mean).
League pool playing is my favorite. I'm a fun player and a low stakes bettor.
Enjoying this AZbilliards site.

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello I am Hollis. I am around middle age I just started playing in pool leagues the last year and rediscovered something I loved in my youth which was pool. My fondest memories of pool is going to the Boys Club in my small town where they had these large pool table we could play on and we'd receive instruction.

It was really my favorite thing of the Boys Club. I recently a few years ago was reintroduced to pool on a family outing and how much I enjoyed it. I also was finishing school and really needed something for stress relief. Pool was that stress relief. I have to say since I have been playing pool I feel way more relaxed and just better.

I recently in the last few months have tried to make a real commitment of minimum of 10 hours of play and practice during the week, My goal is to have at least 100 hours before fall begins. I plan to join a APA league in addition to the other leagues I play in.

Currently I am reading a lot of pool books. 99 Critical Shots, Illustrated Billiards, Byrnes. Hope to get Banking with the Beard soon. Even by reading a few times a day different sections I've noticed a incredible difference with my game. So I'd really recommend those books and welcome suggestions for more books to read.

Okay have a great day!!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Currently I am reading a lot of pool books. 99 Critical Shots, Illustrated Billiards, Byrnes. Hope to get Banking with the Beard soon. Even by reading a few times a day different sections I've noticed a incredible difference with my game. So I'd really recommend those books and welcome suggestions for more books to read.
FYI, some book suggestions can be found on the pool book resource page.

Enjoy and welcome,
Dave