was anybody hard breaking at the open?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see any based on the limited matches I saw

what gives? It's not like the wingball was going down every time hittin em softly

too worried about scratching?

i remember watching wu chia ching hardbreaking his way to a world title, i miss that

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember they were racking 9 on the spot. So adjustments were made by the players for the forward rack position.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

what gives? It's not like the wingball was going down every time hittin em softly

i remember watching wu chia ching hardbreaking his way to a world title, i miss that

Many players were hard breaking during the first few days. As the pockets got tighter each day and the players adjusted the breaking speeds, they discovered how to make the wing balls by breaking just hard enough to avoid an illegal break. The Chinese and some of the other foreign players stuck with the hard break throughout. The Americans, Pinoys and some of the Europeans immediately adjusted their breaking speeds. The 9-ball was racked on the real spot. The 1-ball was racked on a new spot, four inches above the 9-ball. The 2-ball had to be racked behind the 9-ball. Three balls had to cross the side pockets for a legal break. Pocketed balls on the break counted toward those three balls.
I was the referee for hundreds of games and I only called four illegal breaks.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Many were breaking hard.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the matches I saw on the stream, both Justin Hall and Busty were breaking hard and effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

On one of the breaks from Orcullo in the finals, he broke so softly only 1 ball made it past the sides, and they called illegal break on him. For the most part they seemed to be breaking medium hard overall.

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dechaine was hard breaking very efficiently against Busti. Busti switched spots multiple times during this match, but was unable to yield an effective return.

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Busty was smashing it hard throughout. Tend to scratch a lot though.

yes busty was smashing it too but late at the end of the against dechaine he scratched on the hill and cost him the match.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Yes there were a lot of them breaking med-hard. I like the breaking format. Three balls over center table is a smart move. Two ball in back also a smart move. Only thing I'd change is to make the break box smaller...like 4". But just the way it is would be a hell of a lot better for all 9 ball tournaments. Johnnyt