Shane Has Won World Titles

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The last few years it seems Shane has won more money from pool tournaments than anyone else in the world.

That's a world title I can respect.

Also. last I heard Shane had a standing offer to play anyone, that came to him, for 50 k. Are there others in Europe or Asia that have that offer on board? Just curious.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Most winnings annually is a leadleader board most people want to top.

It's not a formal tournament, but to quote The Baltimore Bullet - "cash is where it's at! "

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane does well in the US, but struggles in Europe and China.

I believe the format in those events evens out the playing field some, thus his advantage is less so he has a higher chance to lose.

With magic rack, alternate break, and generous pocket sizes, I would be surprised to see one person dominate these events.

It's like flipping a coin and landing on heads 10 times in row, it's tough to do.

I'm sure he wants a world title and will eventually get one. But those events are difficult to win.

Anyone that wins one had to play great and probably got some rolls along the way.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
First of all, Shane has no world titles, but he has begun to figure out the WPA tourneys, posting two top 5 finishes this year at the China Open and the World 9-ball Championships.

Who cares to gamble with him or at all is irrelevant, although I believe Ko beat him last time they matched up and, after that, Ko beat him in the race to 25 exhibition in Vegas. Ko then beat Shane in the CSI 10-ball event.

I think what makes the WPA events so difficult to win, other than having the best fields of the year, is that the tourneys becomes single elimination once group play is completed. No room for error. Of course, that's also what makes it such a great test of excellence.

Finally, Shane is just 31. He's got a lot of time left to pick up his share of WPA event titles.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

I believe the format in those events evens out the playing field some, thus his advantage is less so he has a higher chance to lose.

With magic rack, alternate break, and generous pocket sizes, I would be surprised to see one person dominate these events.

It's like flipping a coin and landing on heads 10 times in row, it's tough to do.

I'm sure he wants a world title and will eventually get one. But those events are difficult to win.

Anyone that wins one had to play great and probably got some rolls along the way.

SVB is a PLAYER..., The word event harder to win because the filed is stacked and tougher to get through, its not easier tables or the break. SVB is better then anybody in this country by far, not so on the world scene.

He is still as good as anybody when he enters a world event, but he is one amongst many when Taiwan's, China's, Europe's, Japan's and the mighty Philippine's best show up.

No knock on SVB, its a compliment to mentioned as one of the best of the best and he will get a world title when its his time to win.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
More idiocy from the same people about the same thing. Those tourneys with that race to 7, alternate break format are a f$&$(ing joke. They don't determine who the best player is because the variance is so high, and again, if you don't know what variance is or understand it then please google it and do some research before opening your collective pie holes.

They do achieve one thing with those formats and that's more competitive matches because it levels the playing field. If it were my tourney and I were going for ratings and more competitive matches then I'd probably choose those short races and alternate break formats as well, especially if I were European or Asian. No way would I want to see the lone American that comes over dominate every event.

And believe me, that is exactly what would happen if it were longer races and winner breaks. SVB would win the overwhelming majority of the time.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put your money up,

, especially if I were European or Asian. No way would I want to see the lone American that comes over dominate every event.

And believe me, that is exactly what would happen if it were longer races and winner breaks. SVB would win the overwhelming majority of the time.

SVB can play, but you are fooling yourself if you think he would dominate the world. He would win or lose like any other champion, but dominate the Asians and Philippino's, nobody can.

Efren was the last player to dominate the world, 9 Ball, One Pocket, 8 Ball, 14.1, Balk Line and Rotation, he was the last and might be the last man to ever do it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More idiocy from the same people about the same thing. Those tourneys with that race to 7, alternate break format are a f$&$(ing joke. They don't determine who the best player is because the variance is so high, and again, if you don't know what variance is or understand it then please google it and do some research before opening your collective pie holes.

They do achieve one thing with those formats and that's more competitive matches because it levels the playing field. If it were my tourney and I were going for ratings and more competitive matches then I'd probably choose those short races and alternate break formats as well, especially if I were European or Asian. No way would I want to see the lone American that comes over dominate every event.

thats wishfull thinking at best ,, guess you didn't see Ko blow right by Shane in the race to 21 ,, and they got a dozen of those models over there ,, We got 1 maybe 2 at best ,,as a country we would get crushed
Short races punish mistakes long races let players get past them ,,

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people way too hung up on the term "world" title

to me a major is a major, that's why golf and tennis don't have such a term

snooker has it and offers more prize money but it's not much different than all their other majors

pool now has several world titles with 14.1, 8 ball, 9, 10, etc.....

it's nothing more than an arbitrary term especially in pool

Shane has beaten fields chalk full of the worlds top players on numerous occassions, more than anybody else as of late

now if u wanna speak to SHane's lack of success on foreign soil, that's totally different,

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The same idiocy trying to find bs reasons to skirt around the facts that at this time, SVB has zero world titles. Whether you like this or not, it is not an opinion but actual fact which you like many of his admirers tend to ignore when it benefits you. Yet if he was to snap one off, his followers would go on & on about him being a world champ. Sorry, can't have it both ways!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I think variance is as much a function of the single elimination format employed in the last 5-6 rounds of most WPA events. One bad match and you are done. That said, it's also the reason that the most consistent (i.e., low performance variance) players, the most obvious being Ralf Souquet, have fared so well in these events over the years.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
The same idiocy trying to find bs reasons to skirt around the facts that at this time, SVB has zero world titles. Whether you like this or not, it is not an opinion but actual fact which you like many of his admirers tend to ignore when it benefits you. Yet if he was to snap one off, his followers would go on & on about him being a world champ. Sorry, can't have it both ways!

I've never denied that he doesn't have one of these short race, alternate break so called world titles. I'm just simply stating a fact that the extremely high variance levels the playing field. If they were longer races and winner breaks then the best, ie...SVB would dominate. FACT

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This just in:

Shane is 31, he'll get his share of WPA titles.

I guarantee it.