Pie Chart Explains Why Pro Pool Is Dying

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
You can't argue with pie charts - they're based on science.

Attachments

• barry.jpg
    barry.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,126

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You;d be better off using a multicircle diagram...

If you also add a multicircle diagram, you can see that the red in the pie chart is a causal factor for the yellow and green...

Jaden

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is overwhelmingly played in bars...always has been. Sponsors don't want that on their plate. Heck even the beer companies show people having fun OUTSIDE.
Play it...have fun. It's not a career path

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why pro pool is dying in the US:

1. Players, cuemakers and promoters use every opportunity to act like the scum of the earth.

2. There are a billion other sports and games that look spectacular by comparison, seen with the eyes of someone who is not a player.

3. No proper "league" system with points that feeds into a pro tour, which also does not exist.

4. Idiotic rule changes on a whim in every tournament creates a "carnival" atmosphere that does not show off pool as a proper sport.

5. All the above factors create a lack of recruitment and also cause talented players to quit, leading to a worse quality of play than could otherwise have been seen.

6. Few or no proper youth recruitment initiatives.

7. No interest from corporate sponsors, because of the above factors.

8. Professional broadcasters are being undercut by Mickey Mouse operation streamers, that while giving a product that is passable for a fan, does not have the slick commentators and professional quality that can easily be sold to tv.

Great post

One more thing is the fact that some promoters are too concerned with tearing others down than building pool up.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro pool is dying because no one wants to watch it, not even the so called "hardcore pool fans," who couldn't even be bothered to watch TAR and keep it afloat. End of story.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Players, cuemakers and promoters use every opportunity to act like the scum of the earth.

2. There are a billion other sports and games that look spectacular by comparison, seen with the eyes of someone who is not a player.

3. No proper "league" system with points that feeds into a pro tour, which also does not exist.

4. Idiotic rule changes on a whim in every tournament creates a "carnival" atmosphere that does not show off pool as a proper sport.

5. All the above factors create a lack of recruitment and also cause talented players to quit, leading to a worse quality of play than could otherwise have been seen.

8. Professional broadcasters are being undercut by Mickey Mouse operation streamers, that while giving a product that is passable for a fan, does not have the slick commentators and professional quality that can easily be sold to tv.

I got to agree with everything but the last one. The "mickey mouse" streamers wouldn't exist if the big boys would pick it up. The last is a condition of the rest.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

No way it could be the simple fact that watching pool is about as exciting as watching cars rust.

That said...my uncle Wilson once told me after I had done something he considered unacceptable "Son..you could fvck up an anvil".

Thats pretty much my view on the pro pool world. If theres a chance to do something the wrong way it will be vigorously pursued.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way it could be the simple fact that watching pool is about as exciting as watching cars rust.

That said...my uncle Wilson once told me after I had done something he considered unacceptable "Son..you could fvck up an anvil".

Thats pretty much my view on the pro pool world. If theres a chance to do something the wrong way it will be vigorously pursued.

The same is true of golf. I think the fix is cutaways--multiple cameras and feeds, with the ability to play recent content from matches other than the featured match.

So while racking is happening or some deep thought on the featured match, the announcers can cut away and say "Wow, let's look at what Alex just did on Table 7!" You'd need also someone who can condense the recent matches into clips to be played during the current match.

This way, the content would be 90% shooting, instead of the current 25%.

Of course, doing this, especially in real time like pro sports, would require staff, resources, and operations far beyond what is currently (or perhaps ever) practical.

Cory

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The same is true of golf. I think the fix is cutaways--multiple cameras and feeds, with the ability to play recent content from matches other than the featured match.

So while racking is happening or some deep thought on the featured match, the announcers can cut away and say "Wow, let's look at what Alex just did on Table 7!" You'd need also someone who can condense the recent matches into clips to be played during the current match.

Cory

Wrong WRONG WRONG

It is the player, not the play.

Golf attracts an increased audience when Tiger plays, no matter how indifferently - so the secret is to have personalities who will captivate the viewers.

To prove my point, I offer this evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqaNDE_Zdxc
:D

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well of course. They were advertising Vertex Condoms with free demos on how to put them on properly.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pro snooker is doing OK. Is watching pool really that much more boring than watching snooker?

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Of course, doing this, especially in real time like pro sports, would require staff, resources, and operations far beyond what is currently (or perhaps ever) practical.

Cory

Great post and excellent idea. I completely agree and with a delayed feed this could be pretty easily accomplished even with the smaller operations out there that offer streaming services. I would hope that it's safe to assume that most of the streaming companies are more than capable of video editing on the fly. I wouldn't complain about a few minute delay if they could do what you are suggesting.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
No way it could be the simple fact that watching pool is about as exciting as watching cars rust. .
I do not agree with that! Also, my wife watches all the PPV's with me and she rarely plays.