First Time Derby Participant & Observer
Old
  (#1)
behindthe9ball
AzB Bronze Member
behindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond reputebehindthe9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

First Time Derby Participant & Observer - 04-06-2017, 11:31 PM

A couple friends on mine and I are talking about attending the DCC in 2018. I was wondering if someone might consider answering some basic questions about participating and also spending some time enjoying/soaking up the experience.

Hotel(s): I spoke with Horseshoe today and they said in order to get the group rate you had to book all 9 nights. I believe the group rate was around $99 per night. We definitely do not plan on staying for 9 nights unless something miraculous happens to our skill sets in the next 8 or so months. With that said, I imagine a good majority don't stick around for all 9 nights, so do people typically book 9 and sell a portion, or just go ahead and pay the "rack" rate (no pun intended if their stay is anticipated to be 3 or 4 nights?

Additionally, how are the other hotels in the area? Do they provide shuttle services? Can anyone recommend a 3-4 star hotel (Marriott would be preferable)?

How does seeding typically work? If I choose to participate in 8, 9, & 10 ball, and I don't play in any type of sanctioned league, does that mean I will likely face a top tier player? Could I get lucky and possibly play Shane or Efren? I would take a chance any day to play them even if that means getting knocked out early. I saw a video a few months back showing some elder gent playing Shane and the guy had no idea who he was.

How far in advance can you book a hotel room at the resort? Is it worth the money to stay at the resort or does offsite work well (enough).

I would welcome any tips or information which may be helpful for a few first-timers. I will buy you a beer or two for the info if you plan on attending the '18 event.

Thanks in advance and kindest regards,

Michael

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: