Phenolic ferrule/tip combo.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'd like to make it a leather tip. Can I just cut the tip part off and put a leather one on without replacing the whole ferrule?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to make it a leather tip. Can I just cut the tip part off and put a leather one on without replacing the whole ferrule?

I did that on a break cue. Faced off the ferrule and glued on a leather tip. Can't do it easily without a lathe.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With no lathe

You can file the tip down fairly flat and then get a Tweeten Facing Rotating tool, this has the shaft grabbing jig and the rotating flat disc with the 80 or 60 grit sandpaper. File it dwn until you have the dome gone and then you can use the tweeten tool which costs like, $20 to $30 to get the phenolic ferrule flat and true.

Then you can epoxy or Ca the tip and ferrule and trim to your liking.

Of course it is easier with a lathe but you can do it the way I described and then you will have the tool to do your own tips as well. Of course it takes more time and to get it perfect will take time and effort but it is possible,

hope this helps

respectfully

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
You can file the tip down fairly flat and then get a Tweeten Facing Rotating tool, this has the shaft grabbing jig and the rotating flat disc with the 80 or 60 grit sandpaper. File it dwn until you have the dome gone and then you can use the tweeten tool which costs like, $20 to $30 to get the phenolic ferrule flat and true.

Then you can epoxy or Ca the tip and ferrule and trim to your liking.

Of course it is easier with a lathe but you can do it the way I described and then you will have the tool to do your own tips as well. Of course it takes more time and to get it perfect will take time and effort but it is possible,

hope this helps

respectfully

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

Well - I do have the Tweeten tool - so I just may try it. Now that I have another break cue (Thor's Hammer), I don't mind it being out of commission for a bit while I take my time to get it right. Thanks guys.