My follow shot

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have received lessons twice in the past month and are really focusing on bad parts of my stroke( lifting my elbow and shoulder on the final backstroke and staying at that angle causing me to jump the ball on my draw shots). I found this out with video instruction. So I have been doing my best to fix that and doing very well at leveling out my stick and not moving my shoulder or elbow. What I am noticing is on my follow shots mostly when im hitting harder, the cb hits the ob and jumps a little then begins to follow. I feel like im losing a lot of my follow with that jump. Any idea why it jumps and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever we strike a ball straight in the cue ball stops all forward motion. Might even hop a little. Then it reacts to vertical spin.

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have received lessons twice in the past month and are really focusing on bad parts of my stroke( lifting my elbow and shoulder on the final backstroke and staying at that angle causing me to jump the ball on my draw shots). I found this out with video instruction. So I have been doing my best to fix that and doing very well at leveling out my stick and not moving my shoulder or elbow. What I am noticing is on my follow shots mostly when im hitting harder, the cb hits the ob and jumps a little then begins to follow. I feel like im losing a lot of my follow with that jump. Any idea why it jumps and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

Well, if the cue ball isn't following as far as you want it to, and it's taking a little hop at contact with the object ball, then it sounds to me that you're hitting too close to dead center. The hop is natural when you use force, which simply means that the cue ball hasn't gone into normal roll yet. Try hitting higher. If you use force, it will still hop, but the cb will move forward more if you hit higher. Most amateurs don't hit high enough.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cb hops because it is airborne at contact with the ob. It is hard to impossible on many shots to have a truly level cue due to the rails.

Anytime the cue is not level, the cb will be forced down into the cloth and jump. How high depends on the angle of the cue and the force applied. On shots with more speed, the cb will jump farther, but can easily be low enough to not be noticed.