2017 US OPEN 10 BALL TV Table -INFO

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night I watched a couple of matches on Youtube from this years US Open 10 Ball. Specifically I watched the Shane vs. Skyler and the final Shane vs. Kiamco. I haven't seen pro's struggle on equipment like that in a long time.

Ive seen them all play before and it seemed pretty obvious to me that something about the conditions made this table really difficult.

Any ideas (Cue Ball, Cloth, Tight Pockets, Springy Rails, Humidity,)?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think at one point duringi the event it was mentioned that the cloth wasn't new, the pockets were 4.25" and the rails were very springy.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I think at one point duringi the event it was mentioned that the cloth wasn't new, the pockets were 4.25" and the rails were very springy.

Worst possible combination of elements. With springy rails and old cloth, COMBINED with excessively tight pockets, brushing the rail even a little bit on the way to the pocket will cause a miss.

Heck, they might as well put a humidifier in the room with the table, too.

ShortBusRuss

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the SVB vs Woodward 10-ball match today. Looked to me like they just badly missed way more shots than they normally do, especially Woodward. 4.25" corners and 4.75" sides is really what many think the pros should be playing their tournaments on, for all matches, not just the TV table. I've heard from a reliable source that Diamond is coming out with a tighter pocket table specifically for pro tournaments to be used in pro events where Diamond brings in all the tables. I think he said either 4.25" or 4.125" corners and I can't remember what he said for side pocket openings. I have no problem with as tight as 4" corners for the pros, but anything tighter than 4.75" side pocket openings is very limiting and changes the way the game is played, even for pro level players, in my opinion.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night I watched a couple of matches on Youtube from this years US Open 10 Ball. Specifically I watched the Shane vs. Skyler and the final Shane vs. Kiamco. I haven't seen pro's struggle on equipment like that in a long time.

Ive seen them all play before and it seemed pretty obvious to me that something about the conditions made this table really difficult.

Lmfao god forbid the pro's have to figure out the table ,, I've been told by more than one that's why they are pro's they adapt better to shooting conditions

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

How about adding in the number of overhead lights used for the stream. I sat right next to the commentators booth for the finals. Yes they missed more than normal. Yes, they were out of line more than normal. What type of equipment should the best players in the world be asked to play on? Always thought a great player could be put on a new to them table, play a few racks and have the condition down pat. Quite honestly, it was good for my ego to see players of this caliber struggle the way I do! JMHO.

Lyn

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a challenging table, and it played differently than the rest. The table was also next to the front door, so in the Las Vegas it got steamy under the lights.

Freddie

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Us open 10 ball

Table 20 at Griffs is 4.25” pockets. The was not brand new but was in pretty good shape. The color was faded just a touch. It was hot inside because the front door was constantly opening and closing.

There are 9’ CSI fluorescent lights above the table- they give out no heat. So other than the pockets being 1/4” smaller, the table is the same as the other tables in the room.

Mark griffin

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table 20 at Griffs is 4.25” pockets. The was not brand new but was in pretty good shape. The color was faded just a touch. It was hot inside because the front door was constantly opening and closing.

There are 9’ CSI fluorescent lights above the table- they give out no heat. So other than the pockets being 1/4” smaller, the table is the same as the other tables in the room.

Mark griffin

Thanks Mark! That table is a beast for sure. I practice on a table very similar and didn't know that this type of table even changes the games of top pro players!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Mark griffin

Mark,

As I stated in an earlier post, if the best players in the world were unable to master the conditions presented by that one table, tough! I had a great time at Griff's during the 10 ball event. Don't think you could have done more for the players. From time to time, spectating was challenging. The only area for improvement I could see. Thanks again for your efforts.

Lyn