What is the Strangest you have won gambling at pool

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
We have all been around the halls and bars and watched and participated as the money flowed , whether as players or rail birds betting on the side

I have watched players lose money, cars , cues , jewelry ECT

But the strangest thing I saw won in a pool game was a 35lb Redfish

I was fishing with my Dad and his friend years ago and after fishing down at Crystal beach Texas most of the Morning, We stopped at a local watering hole before heading home , Dad and his Friend Skip , ended up in a 100 dollar a man scotch doubles game with a couple of their friends who were also players , Dad and Skip had won a couple hundred dollars and the other team came up with the Idea that they would wager a big red fish they caught that morning against a cooler of speckled trout we had caught on the last game , Dad and Skip won that one too

One of the guys from the losing team said " Man your really not going to take my fish are you ?" Dad laughed and said Absolutely I am going to take it and we did lol

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've won many things

Won the first push button drive car I ever seen when I was first married in 1964. Won a ton of jewelry, pool sticks that I gave away, tools, tennis shoes, you name it over past 55 years !:thumbup:

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
That is pretty funny. I actually just caught a redfish a week or so ago while I was out in Florida. They are fun to catch and taste great too.

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I pulled into the parking lot of Clicks Billiards in Arlington, TX about 20 years ago and one of the locals was cleaning Tracey Joe's Lincoln Towncar with some Waterless Vehicle Wash. I asked him how much Joe was paying for the wash. He replied that he didn't have any money so they played one game of bank pool, car wash vs $20. He lost.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
One time a ran out. It was pretty strange and everyone agreed.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won female companionship once from a pimp. Two redheaded twin sisters, it was amazing. I won a painting business, all equipment and station wagon. I gave it back for a small settlement after meeting the mans family. I won a TV set. The guy ran out of money and said he would be back.

He tried to return a TV he had just bought and the store was closed so he came into the bar with it and all the receipt and paperwork. It was in fact new and never out of the box. I gave him credit for the full value and he went broke in like an hour.

The worst thing I ever won was store credit at a Lafayette electronics store. It was like a Radio shack years ago but I think they are long out of business. I started gambling with this guy and after a few weeks of him losing small amounts one night he goes off for like $500.00 and only has less then a $100.00.

He gets me on the side and says if I come in to the store I can have anything I want of equal value to what he owed. I go to the store and get a professional reel to reel recorder. I just walk out with it and he does some kind of paper work thing. That was the beginning. This went on for months and sometimes he would have cash, but often we did the store thing.

When I don't see him for a while I stopped by the store to see if he was around. When I ask about him the guy working there tells me he is gone. In fact he confides to me he is on the run and they are looking for him.

No one there had ever seen me, I would go to the store when he told me to, I guess when no one else was around. He was the store manager and when he could not account for all that missing stock, he just basically took off. I never knew what ever happened to him.

I won a lot of cues and jewlery over the years. Probably most of the jewlery stolen.

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Freind Of Mine--Who Has Passed away now--Won A Pig,,,Yep Won Himself A Pig For A 10 Bet,,Back Up In These Here Mountains Of Virginia...That's What Ya Call Bartering..Yep...What Stories This Old Gent Had. He had a good one on a freind of his that Pitched for the NY Yankees back in the early 50's....They were in the only Pool Room in his small town of Rocky Mt Va--was around Christmas and the Pitcher has gotten drunk and gone off for around 500 bucks...Thats like 5 Grand now---The folks in the room didn't notice him while he was leaving--and as he did so,,he was collecting balls from the tables as he went by them one by one. and pocketing these balls ,,deep into the large pockets of the pee coat he was wearing....The cleintel did notice though when he was across the street--taking his coat off and doing stretching excersises--What Is that drunk up too--Next thing happening--95 mile an hour,,,Billiard Balls comeing through the room...front to back and some sticking into the drywall on the far side of the room...That Coulda Hurt Someone

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a story about a guy who came in our local pool room and I literally won from him the shirt he was wearing. Not much of a story compared to the ones above though. :lol:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years back I was playin a truck driver in a bar, I was up $40 and he couldn't pay me so i took 2 small boxes off his truck. when I got home and opened them , the first one was a case of toothpaste and the other was lady's deodorant. so glad I got that instead of the $40 because i have a lifetime worth of smiles. just to clarify he gave me the boxes,I didnt steal em

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
I was in a bar called bay watchers at magnolia beach Texas in 1997 , was there working a project at the Union Carbide Plant in Seadrift TX,

So this guy comes in and asks me if I want to play some 8 ball for some money , I said sure, I wasn't really looking to play just there having a cold one after work so I said I will play you a few for $10 a game

So I beat him for $60 and he is busted , so he says how about I put my cue up against that 60 you just won, it was a plain Jane Meucci , so I said sure , so now I got his cue and his 60 dollars, so he says I will put my truck up against everything on one more game , so now I got his money , his cue and a beat to hell 79 ford pickup truck .

He asks me how much to get my cue and truck back ? I told him you bring me 250 dollars and you can have em back ,

The next day at 5 pm he is waiting on me at the bar , pays me the 250 I gave him keys and his cue ,

And low and be damned if I don't set there and watch him lose a 100 dollars, his cue and his truck again to a another guy within an hour of getting them back .

I told him afterward you may want to look into another way of making money besides gambling on Pool because your not very talented at it. lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have all been around the halls and bars and watched and participated as the money flowed , whether as players or rail birds betting on the side

I have watched players lose money, cars , cues , jewelry ECT

But the strangest thing I saw won in a pool game was a 35lb Redfish

I was fishing with my Dad and his friend years ago and after fishing down at Crystal beach Texas most of the Morning, We stopped at a local watering hole before heading home , Dad and his Friend Skip , ended up in a 100 dollar a man scotch doubles game with a couple of their friends who were also players , Dad and Skip had won a couple hundred dollars and the other team came up with the Idea that they would wager a big red fish they caught that morning against a cooler of speckled trout we had caught on the last game , Dad and Skip won that one too

One of the guys from the losing team said " Man your really not going to take my fish are you ?" Dad laughed and said Absolutely I am going to take it and we did lol

I guess this is as good a time as any for a Smorg tribute.

Lou Figueroa

Pre-requsite: (insert flashback music)

An oldie, but a goodie, posted by me almost 12 years ago in RSB. This is for the young uns:

I made up the name SONRA (using an 8 ball as the 'O') when Billy Songy and Billy Rainey were preparing to open a lounge/poolroom in New Orleans (Kenner).

On any given night, you might find a who's who of pool in the joint, such as Buddy Hall, Benny "The Goose", Bill Stack, New York Blackie, Cliff Brown, Whoppie, Painter, Dan Louie and me and my running buddies and anyone that played pool in New Orleans.

From 1997:
Subject: Bar Bets (Hoist On Your Own Petard)

One night I was hanging out at the Sonra Lounge (tucked in behind the cinema and on a canal) on Vets Hwy. in New Orleans,it was THE action spot from the mid 70's to the mid 80's and EVERY form of hustle was run
AND bet on in this bar.

On this particular night a stranger says to everyone and no-one in particular," I can KNOCK DOWN the headpin in a bowling alley with a playing card." Twenty heads swiveled at the same time to see who had made this claim.
The stranger says," I'll stand at the foul line and I get to throw the complete deck and I'll knock the front pin over." So, right away I pipe up with ,"yeah,you'll leave all the cards in the box and throw the whole box."(Which would still be a pretty neat trick) The stranger says," no,I'm going to throw the cards ONE card at a time and I get to use the whole deck." So, once again I butt in and say," sure,you're going to tape one of the cards to a bowling ball or some other object and then throw it and knock over the pin." He says,"Nope,it will be knocked over with only one card or else I lose."

Well, it just so happens that there's a bowling alley about 3-4 blocks up the street, which is closed,BUT,the manager comes to this bar every night after closing and is willing to re-open for all of us to make this bet (plus he wants some of the action too).
Well, everybody in the bar puts up all the cash they can afford and Billy takes some cash from the register and since no-one will stay and keep an eye on the bar,they close up and 25-30 people (poolplayers mostly and a few degenerate gamblers) empty the parking lot and drive down to the bowling alley. Since there's thirty of
us and only two of them and WE'RE holding the money,we aren't about to lose because of the "wording" of this bet. After all, there's over a $1000 riding on this.

Well, what none of us knew then (but we do now) is that a bowling pin is not completely FLAT on the bottom and this stranger,squatted down low and slung the 1st card out of a brand new deck AND lo & behold, it slid UNDER the front edge of that pin. And as he continued to throw,each subsequent card slid at what looked like a
hundred miles an hour and landed under the pin OR a previously thrown card. After a few more throws,you could see the light dawning on the faces of thirty very unhappy campers (including my total net worth betting ass) The pin started to lean and while still holding a few cards the next throw toppled the pin.You could have heard a pin drop ( I just COULDN'T resist the pun) as the banker handed over all our cash. I mean , he did what he claimed and he got paid.

That night was one of the saddest nights ever back at the Sonra Lounge as everyone sat around bumming drinks and blaming each other for taking the bet. I'd like to say that it was the last time I went tapped betting on someone's hustle,but I'd be lying. Once a sucker,always a
sucker. Oh, and long before he was on TV, Harry Anderson came in on the hustle and snagged quite a few of us (he shot pretty good pool too). I believe that he was arrested while he was in N.O.
Also, Waylon Flowers came in and got drunk after his last local performance and then sent a gofer back to his hotel room for his puppet "MADAME" (the old-broad puppet,from Hollywood Squares) and put on the FUNNIEST most risque' show that I've ever seen in my life. What a dirty mouth on that old broad.
Someday,I'll tell you about the guy that swallowed the pool stick.

Doug
(*<~ Big Fish EAT Little Fish ~>*)

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Shooting spot shots, guy kept doubling up, wasn't long and he was down quite a bit.

20 Elsa Peretti ...Bean Cigarette Lighters,Sterling Silver. Tiffany is a dealer.
I had no clue what they were, and would not let him out until I knew the value, and not knock offs. Had no choice but to take them.

They were authentic, I gave them away as gifts over the years

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know I actually meant to post this one but got distracted. So here it is anyway.

Lou Figueroa

Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored

(*<~ It was on my way home from New Orleans two weeks ago ......
<insert flashback music here>

I stopped at my brother's workplace and was talked into spending two days at Spring Break assisting the young girls in their wet T-shirt competitions and bikini contests. Man, I've still got it and so do they.

Anyway, it seems that brother lives ON THE BEACH (about 100' to the surf) of the Gulf of Mexico in a beautiful 3 bedroom home will ALL the amenities (I'd like to swap places with him- including significant other). He lives just east of Panama City in a little beach community called St. Joe Beach. There is a place there (within crawling distance of the house) called "Regan's Pub & Oyster Bar" Est. Nov.14th 2000 157,920 Oyster's Shucked (when the t-shirt was printed).

After a hard day of rubbing up against nubile young things in Panama
City we ended up at Regan's depleting their oyster stock and keeping the
'shucker' employed. The bar area had a 4x8 pooltable and the proximity to the beach and the breeze had it in the lower 50?. I had on my Planet 9-Ball jacket with the BIG logo of a planet that looks like a 9-ball (duh).

All the locals wanted to challenge my brother and I to some partners 8-ball and we obliged. We won every game for hours, no matter what rules they made up
along the way. We stopped to take a break and eat MORE oysters and one of the players asked me what I 'did' in Tampa. I told him that I was a professional pool player (my brother almost blew an oyster out of his nose).

This fellow named Jim-Bob wanted to play me heads up. I told him that I'd play, but I wouldn't play cheap. He told me that he didn't care WHAT we played for as he racked the balls and I prepared to break. I'd told him that I was called Tampa Tubby and as I smashed the balls I exclaimed that I was playing him for his 'Bob'.

At first, he thought that I was kidding, but as it dawned on him that I was serious he became VERY nervous. All activity stopped in the building as EVERYONE came to sweat this game. The most serious game to ever take place in St. Joe Beach,Fl. I got down to the eightball and Jim-Bob said that I had to
'bank it' AND we were also playing last pocket 8-ball. I'd made my last ball in the side pocket and was in trouble with the way his balls were laying on the table. When I asked if I could play the eight off of one of his balls and he said yes, I kicked the eight from near the end rail and off his ball into 'my' side pocket. GAME OVER. I'd won 'the Bob'.

Everyone laughed and cheered while now calling me "Tampa Tubby-Bob". At the same time,everyone now called Jim-Bob simply JIM. Jim was devasted. It was sinking in that he had lost his 'Bob' and he didn't like it one little bit. People were now calling him 'Bobless' and his boss (who was present) threatened to fire him and make him 'Jobless Bobless'. He's been 'Bobbited'. He wanted a re-match. I said NO. I told him that I would return in exactly one year and play him ONE GAME and an opportunity to win his 'Bob' back.

I've spoken to my brother a few times since I've left St. Joe Beach and he assures me NOONE has called him Jim-Bob since he lost and that the word has spread up & down the beach. They're planning a big 'special day' for next year and my return. I'm thinking about breaking out my sling,walker, eye-patch, etc. to make it REALLY exciting.

I know that I dance to beat of a different drum (at least I didn't insist that he throw in a moon pie), but everyone seems to like it (so far). I didn't get a BOP on the nose. Life is good. Does it get any better than this ?

Tampa Tubby-Bob

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Freind Of Mine--Who Has Passed away now--Won A Pig,,,Yep Won Himself A Pig For A 10 Bet,,Back Up In These Here Mountains Of Virginia...That's What Ya Call Bartering..Yep...What Stories This Old Gent Had. He had a good one on a freind of his that Pitched for the NY Yankees back in the early 50's....They were in the only Pool Room in his small town of Rocky Mt Va--was around Christmas and the Pitcher has gotten drunk and gone off for around 500 bucks...Thats like 5 Grand now---The folks in the room didn't notice him while he was leaving--and as he did so,,he was collecting balls from the tables as he went by them one by one. and pocketing these balls ,,deep into the large pockets of the pee coat he was wearing....The cleintel did notice though when he was across the street--taking his coat off and doing stretching excersises--What Is that drunk up too--Next thing happening--95 mile an hour,,,Billiard Balls comeing through the room...front to back and some sticking into the drywall on the far side of the room...That Coulda Hurt Someone
I think I was in that place. Was it called Robbins billiards? It had like old tables from the 1930's. The whole place was like an antique.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started off on Friday night matched up playing $5 a game on 9ft table. Closed the joint and went to guys house and played on barbox. I think I was stuck at that point. Played all night, Saturday, Sunday till 5 am Monday morning. By then we were betting $100 a game and I was up $1000. I had to quit and go to work.

Got home and had ZERO pairs of clean socks (Used to have to wear suits). I was so pissed.

True story...I went right out and bought $200 of dress socks....thats a lot of socks 20 years ago...

We still laugh about that.