Viking vs Mcdermott
Old
  (#1)
Cueball13
AzB Bronze Member
Cueball13 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Viking vs Mcdermott - 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Hey everyone I知 new here and just getting back into billiards. I知 looking into getting a new cue but nothing out of sight on price lol. I知 interested in the Vikings and Mcdermott. Does anyone have any input on them? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#2)
stevenw00d
AzB Silver Member
stevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond reputestevenw00d has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2018, 10:59 AM

I have a McDermott that I absolutely love. It REALLY all comes down to what feels the best for you. Find a pool hall close to you, chat up the owner and customers the best you can, and offer to buy them a beer if you can shoot some balls with their cue. Most are more than willing to help out someone looking to get back into the game.
I have friends that swear by every brand of cue there is. It is really a personal thing. I started with a Cuetec because that was basically all I could afford and that is what people were using on TV in the 90's. I shot okay with it but never loved it. I only shot with a few other cues on occasion over the next 10 years and after finally winning enough money to justify it, I bought a McDermott. I got lucky that I picked something I immediately loved. It could have gone bad and if I didn't like it I would have bought another, and another. That cue was stolen 5+ years ago and I bought my current McD because it was on sale for $160 and I had over $2000 worth of pool/softball gear I needed to replace. I've loved it every since. I'm now getting a OB+ Pro shaft for it (arrives today and I can't wait) because I think it will let me think less about certain aspects of the game and more on others. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the "feel" of the cue, because I really love it, but unfortunately there is no one around here with a McD (or any kind of wood-wood joint) that also has a LD shaft that I could try.

TLDR; It is more about how good you are with a cue and less about how good the cue it.

Old
  (#3)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball13 View Post
Hey everyone I知 new here and just getting back into billiards. I知 looking into getting a new cue but nothing out of sight on price lol. I知 interested in the Vikings and Mcdermott. Does anyone have any input on them? Thanks in advance!

Both make decent cues in competitive price ranges.

McDermott has a great warranty.

Should we assume you are not looking at their import lines?

Are you looking at their "technology" or "LD" shafts or plain wood?

A little more info might help. Maybe your price range at least?

I think you will find positives for both brands, and fans of both brands. Both have been around a long time and have great reputations. Viking did go out of business for a while but was resurrected with mostly the same workers under a new owner.

Any particular reason you are only looking at those two?

Coming back to the game I am guessing those two are just more familiar to you.

There are other options, other brands. You might even just go with a custom sneaky or plain custom used.

Also, what is it you are looking for or expecting from your cue?

If it came down to it, and you just want an answer to the posted question, the McDermott warranty is a big sales point. Without any other criteria, that might be the tipping point.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#4)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

04-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I have input on them
Buy a Lucasi.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#5)
Cueball13
AzB Bronze Member

04-09-2018, 12:40 PM

The Mcdermott is the GS series and the Viking is just the VIK227 with a quick disconnect. Both are right around $200. I have used both before and enjoyed playing with each of them. I have just been away for long enough not to know which direction to go.

Old
  (#6)
Cueball13
AzB Bronze Member

04-09-2018, 12:41 PM

The Viking is also a V Pro shaft with a Pro taper.

Old
  (#7)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I have input on them
Buy a Lucasi.
There is only one Mighty Lucasi though.....

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#8)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

04-09-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
There is only one Mighty Lucasi though.....

That is true!
But there are many siblings that aspire to greatness.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#9)
Knels
AzB Silver Member
Knels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2018, 01:50 PM

I have a Viking, straightest cue I own. I have a lot of cues lol

Old
  (#10)
Cueball13
AzB Bronze Member

04-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knels View Post
I have a Viking, straightest cue I own. I have a lot of cues lol

Which Viking do you have?

Old
  (#11)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2018, 03:33 PM

You asked Viking or McDermott. The answer is McDermott.

Old
  (#12)
ddg45
AzB Silver Member
ddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:

McDermott. For only a couple more dollars you can get a G series with the G-core shaft. I have a Pechauer, Lucasi, and Schmelke (which you might want to consider; great little company, great prices and a lot of positive feedback on this site) and I like them all but always seem to pull my McDermott when I'm playing league night.
Whatever you choose hope you love it

Playing cues: McDermott custom stained G230; Pechauer JP-09N since I like no-wrap cues. Lucasi LZL-14 limited edition with hybrid laminated shaft. Schmelke R065
All are better than I am but I fight the urge to buy more.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: