Little Ko wins 8-Ball !!! Big KO ripped off, Pool hangs it's head

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the Ko brothers have backers that underwrote the trip and were looking to clean up on the pro American action?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I guess a rule is a rule and if the point of no return is once the chart is drawn than so be it. So the outrage is that CSI chose to break a written (or unwritten) rule by redrawing a chart. I could see that being worthy of criticism

Correct. :thumbup:

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
So is that what all the outage is about? It's just the timing of the replacement? So had the charts not already been drawn putting in a replacement would not have been a big deal to anyone?

For whatever reason, many people on this site are just too emotionally invested in this. Why that is, I have no idea. Is it because we all had such big hopes for this tournament? Or maybe it’s because we all want professional pool to thrive so badly. Is that it? Is it because we have all been looking forward to having all these top players compete in the U.S. for some time? I really don't know what the answer to that question is. But let me pose a different hypothetical question and one that very easily could have happened.

Let's say the Ko brothers each reached the semi-finals only to realize they both had to head home or risk missing their plane. Would everyone be as outraged if CSI chose to fill those two vacancies? I'm not so sure there would be as much outage. I think everyone would have been pleased to see Appleton and SVB get another shot. Or whoever else would have filled those spots, especially if it was Efren - who everybody loves. Honestly, would everybody be outraged if CSI filled those two spots? Or would everybody understand that there was a tournament to be run and the next two players would need to step up?

Would everyone say -- "WAIT A SECOND!!! The charts have already been drawn and they were drawn in ink so they can't be erased. We must move right ahead to the finals." What if a portion of the first name was only written down on the chart? I can't imagine where we would even begin to sort out that epic moral quandary.

But I guess a rule is a rule and if the point of no return is once the chart is drawn than so be it. So the outrage is that CSI chose to break a written (or unwritten) rule by redrawing a chart. I could see that being worthy of criticism, but certainly not worthy of the death penalty or its equivalent -- no longer supporting CSI events.

I lied. Maybe I do know what's going on here. I think there are three things at play. First, we have reached a SVB saturation level. We all know he is a great player and clearly the best in the U.S. but many have simply grown tired of seeing him play. Second, many people have been suspect of the move toward invitational tournaments and excluding certain U.S. professionals from the mix. And last but most importantly, I think most of us U.S. pool fans (and our Canadian brothers) are decent people and we want to be viewed this way from the international players when they come here. We don't want them to feel slighted in the least because this makes us all look bad in a sense.

Now when you throw these three things into a blender and mix them all up you get the type of outrage that we have seen on this forum. But if you don't mix these things together and you just look at what actually took place in this tournament I don't think you will be as outraged. Instead, you will just possibly conclude that CSI made a mistake by redrawing the brackets after the fact. They didn't set out to screw someone over since this is not something they have a history of doing, att least not without a good reason. They weren't trying to push Shane into the final because he's their poster boy because had this happened in Appleton's group, I'm certain they would have done the same thing.

So just look at what happened. Is the outrage here REALLY because they redrew a portion of the bracket after the fact or are other things at play here?

I for one -- think there are other things at play and CSI really deserves better than that.

I agree, the fact that the cornerstone of all this outrage seems to lie in the timing of the drawing of the semi-final charts seems a bit over the top.

1. Can someone point me to a rule book somewhere hat states that "No changes shall be made after the charts are drawn"?

2. Can someone point me to a past scenario where a group qualifier was unable to continue onto the knockout stage, so the tournament began the knockout stage with a bye?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is for all of the people with memory problems who think what CSI did was wrong.

This year's World 9 Ball had 3 stages.

1. Stage 1 - 3 Qualifying rounds of 128 players. Four single elimination 32 player brackets, with the winner of each bracket advancing.

2. Stage 2 - 16 groups of 8 players. Double elimination with the top 4 from each group advancing.

3. Stage 3 - The final stage with 64 players.

Some might remember that Warren Kiamco did not win any of the 3 qualifiers in Stage 1. Yet he ended up in Stage 2, and was able to move on to Stage 3 where he lost in the first round against Wang Can. Please see quoted posts below from the World 9 Ball thread that explained the situation. A situation very much like what happened at the CSI event. A player fails to make it through the qualifying round, but is then picked (based on ranking) to take the place of someone who couldn't play the next stage.

What I find most humorous is that itsfroze was so happy that Kiamco made it through despite being eliminated.
The WC8 Ball and WC9 Ball have always been run where there are a set number of spots allocated to players who enter nominated tournaments. In a 128 field this is normally twelve. The other 116 would be put forward by their Federation abouit two weeks before the main tournament. Should any of these drop out then the federations can nominate their replacement. Once the qualifying tournaments start in the host country these become the source of players.
The object of the exercise is to ensure that the Main Event starts with a full 128 player field thus ensuring that all groups start with the same number of players.
When the twelve players have qualified if there are any further late withdrawals (sickness or visa problems) then the guys who have spent money trying to qualify are next up. The performances of Raymund and Warren were the reason the filled two spots that became available. At this stage the tournament is closed meaning that there is no way back in. If an opponent fails to turn up then he forfeits his match.
Simple and unambiguous

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
When the round robin portion of the tournament goes right down to 4 players left
in the semi-finals, I have a big problem when you even refer to the tournament as
two stages. But feel free of coarse, think of it anyway you want.

Even though the second stage only had 4 players (25% of the entire field), I suppose I still consider it a valid second stage because there was a material change in the format of the tournament. Prior to the 4 man semi-finals:

a) a player can lose and still remain in the tournament
b) all matches are predetermined regardless of outcome.

However during the semi-finals neither is true. Due to this material change, I see them as two distinct stages.

Taken to its logical end, I suppose if there were only two groups (A & B) in the round robin stage. And the second stage consisted of the finals between the two group's respective qualifiers. In the event of a forfeit or dq, I would expect the tournament director to the fill the vacant finals spot with the next highest qualifier from that group.

Here is a hypothetical, suppose during this year's FIFA World Cup, a group qualifier (such as Uruguay) was disqualified prior to the start of the knockout stage. Do you really think FIFA would have awarded a walkover to Columbia and refunded the tens of millions of dollars in tickets and broadcast fees? or do you think they would have let Italy (3rd in Group D) advance?

Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's quite possible...look at wu who won the world title @ 16.

Anyone know the youngest age you can compete for a world title?

if you can see over the table then you can enter the qualifiers. I have had 10 year olds playing in world 8 ball qualifiers in the uae in the past.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WC8 Ball and WC9 Ball have always been run where there are a set number of spots allocated to players who enter nominated tournaments. In a 128 field this is normally twelve. The other 116 would be put forward by their Federation abouit two weeks before the main tournament. Should any of these drop out then the federations can nominate their replacement. Once the qualifying tournaments start in the host country these become the source of players.
The object of the exercise is to ensure that the Main Event starts with a full 128 player field thus ensuring that all groups start with the same number of players.
When the twelve players have qualified if there are any further late withdrawals (sickness or visa problems) then the guys who have spent money trying to qualify are next up. The performances of Raymund and Warren were the reason the filled two spots that became available. At this stage the tournament is closed meaning that there is no way back in. If an opponent fails to turn up then he forfeits his match.
Simple and unambiguous

So then what's the problem with CSI ensuring the semi-finals are full with 4 players? I mean they picked the guy (Shane) that was 2nd in the group. It's not like they went out and picked someone that didn't even play in the tournament.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This can be easily resolved. All you guys complaining go out and get some sponsors or pony up about 20/30k of your own money, then you can have an event and run it however you please.

Until then just enjoy all of the 3 or 4 men's pro events we have a year in the U.S. And maybe 2 women's pro events. There's a reason pool is where it is, because all of the crybabies in the game.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hang down your head Tom Duly!

Quite often I find myself humming that Song when I have to use the Midget urinals at the bar.

"Hows the weather down there Tom"?

"Not bad Terry, but the water is really cold".

dom_poppa

Banned
Under no circumstance should a tournament bring back an eliminated player to fill up a spot just to please the viewers that were watching. It is part of the game, forfeits happen and dream match-ups don't pan out in sports.

Don't mess with the integrity of the game just to please viewers. If the viewers are mad then they should be mad at forfeiting player or forfeiting team. The viewers understand this.

The integrity should not be compromised to please ratings/viewers.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think CSI ponied up quite a bit more

This can be easily resolved. All you guys complaining go out and get some sponsors or pony up about 20/30k of your own money, then you can have an event and run it however you please.

Until then just enjoy all of the 3 or 4 men's pro events we have a year in the U.S. And maybe 2 women's pro events. There's a reason pool is where it is, because all of the crybabies in the game.

I don't know it for a fact but I suspect expenses including travel aid for some if not all of the players added up to considerably more than the prize money. First place prize money wouldn't justify the time and travel unless you were a lock which nobody was in that field. I suspect the cost of the event itself was the tip of the iceberg especially considering that CSI or a sister entity owned the tables and such.

Just grabbing numbers out the air but I suspect the cost for a third party to put on an event like this might run fifty thousand at a bare minimum and would probably be much closer to a hundred thousand, might break over a hundred thousand.

Always easier and cheaper to stay on the sidelines and throw rocks, something we are all guilty of sometimes. I think the one referee for two tables is a bigger deal than putting the second place guy from the same round robin as the withdrawing player in is but that is just my perspective.

Hu

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Under no circumstance should a tournament bring back an eliminated player to fill up a spot just to please the viewers that were watching. It is part of the game, forfeits happen and dream match-ups don't pan out in sports.

Don't mess with the integrity of the game just to please viewers. If the viewers are mad then they should be mad at forfeiting player or forfeiting team. The viewers understand this.

And what about the argument that this was a multi staged tournament and CSI did what other ms tournaments have done in the past?

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
I don't know it for a fact but I suspect expenses including travel aid for some if not all of the players added up to considerably more than the prize money. First place prize money wouldn't justify the time and travel unless you were a lock which nobody was in that field.
Hu

100% agree

The state of professional pool kinda sucks right now. Boy, don't you wish we had a few more tournaments like the CSI invitationals to make this business financially more rewarding for the players?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

And MLB and the NFL shouldn't replace players that are injured going into their All Star games. Integrity and all, as you state.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

Great. For a moment I thought it was us whiney fans fault.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
About six a year

100% agree

The state of professional pool kinda sucks right now. Boy, don't you wish we had a few more tournaments like the CSI invitationals to make this business financially more rewarding for the players?

I wish CSI could see their way clear to do six or eight of these events a year. They have the business model to make things work. Taking cash from the amateur side and requiring the pro players to give lessons to help justify taking cash from the amateur side is what I have long seen as a great set-up. Assuming the players knew at the time of invitation that the lessons were a condition of entry I see absolutely no reason for a player to object.

Trying to help men's pro pool in the US is like banging your head against a brick wall. The only reason for doing it is that it feels so good when you stop!

Hu

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should'a, could'a and would'a seem to be at work here once again. We always have someone's in AZB who seem to just know how everything in the pool world is supposed to go. What possible gain did Mark Griffin have to putting forth his remedy to the situation? All this caused him was a bunch of grief. Frankly, he seems to be getting more than his fair share of grief lately and I for one think we out to be thanking him for trying to keep professional pool alive in America. Give him an opportunity to fix it and next year I'm sure it'll be a much better program.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
I wish CSI could see their way clear to do six or eight of these events a year. They have the business model to make things work. Taking cash from the amateur side and requiring the pro players to give lessons to help justify taking cash from the amateur side is what I have long seen as a great set-up. Assuming the players knew at the time of invitation that the lessons were a condition of entry I see absolutely no reason for a player to object.

Trying to help men's pro pool in the US is like banging your head against a brick wall. The only reason for doing it is that it feels so good when you stop!

Hu

The most visionary part of CSI's invitational was the integration of amateurs with professionals - through lessons, free in-hotel PPV, and free admission. Acknowledgment that amateur interest in pool is absolutely critical to the financial viability of pro events is a great first step!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing not mentioned was incorporating the pro arena into a corner of the same ballroom where the amateurs were playing. No longer did they have to walk down a long hallway to find the pro matches. Also having the pros spend time every day interacting with the amateurs was a nice touch. They were giving free lessons, autographs and taking photos with them.

The end result of this was excellent attendance during the pro matches. I saw a lot of people in the stands every day, and it got really crowded for the most important matches, like when Shane or Efren played. This was well thought out and well received by the amateur players. Kudos to CSI for making these changes to make the pros more accessible to the amateur players. :thumbup2: