Here is the first Poster made for the First Pool League

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Here is a poster from my personal collection that I thought I would share with the forum. This poster was made for Original Bush Pool League which started in 1977 and then in the early 1980's became the now Famous APA or the American Pool Players Association.

1.jpg

Enjoy

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
First Pool League? What the...?
The National Pocket Billiard Association (no longer in existence) formed in Milwaukee in 1959. My teams played in their events in the '70s. And they were not the first! Not unlike many politicians nowadays, the APA would like to re-write history and give no credence or credit to the MANY local and national league organizations that did all the groundwork BEFORE the Busch-Bud Light-APA consortium.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
First Pool League? What the...?
The National Pocket Billiard Association (no longer in existence) formed in Milwaukee in 1959. My teams played in their events in the '70s. And they were not the first! Not unlike many politicians nowadays, the APA would like to re-write history and give no credence or credit to the MANY local and national league organizations that did all the groundwork BEFORE the Busch-Bud Light-APA consortium.

Thanks for you information, and I did not mean to offend you. I guess this is just another case where I am learning something new. I will do more research before I post similar information in the future.

Thanks Again Craig,

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Donny and Craig....

... great info. As far as I know, the earliest billiard league (not pool, so I am not correcting either of you) was the "Champion Billiard Players League" which was run by a guy out of Brooklyn or the Bronx named Burton Mank. This was not a league for average guys, but more of a tour for known champions. I don't know if it was 3-cushion or balkline. Billiards Magazine showed the poster of the players, but I have not seen one come up for sale. After that was the Interstate 3-Cushion League. This included champions with titles but any participating billiard room could put up their shortstop to play in the league. Well, that's all I know......

hennyjohnson

Registered
You shared such a great info. I would like to appreciate you and want to say you thanks for sharing such a nice and informative post.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
pool league

Thanks for the update (correction) Donny. I would hate to think that I played in the very first pool league ever. I know I'm old, but come on man, I'm not that old! LOL :groucho:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
So the poster represents the beginnings of the APA as we know it? Or am I misunderstanding somethin'

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
So the poster represents the beginnings of the APA as we know it? Or am I misunderstanding somethin'

No the Poster represents the first Poster issued by the Bush League which started in St.Louis, mo sometime during late 76 or early 77. Larry Hubbart and Terry Bell ran the league for Anheuser Bush and when it folded for reasons unknown to me they took the Concept and Rules designed for the League and started the APA from the Bush League Rules.

Hope this is more clear.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No the Poster represents the first Poster issued by the Bush League which started in St.Louis, mo sometime during late 76 or early 77. Larry Hubbart and Terry Bell :

It's not quite clear enough for me....
Could you send me that poster for a while?:D

...but not one of your avatar..:shocked2:

I LOVE that poster

cuemarco

Cue Mover and Shaker
Busch Beer League

If your a fan - like me, you've probably already scoured ebay and gotten some classic signs as well. great post:smile:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So is this where the "bush league " phrase comes from?

No wonder they call it beer league night!

Kool poster no matter what

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Busch League origins

The Busch League was setup by the AB brewery to promote the newly reworked Busch beer. Of course, the idea was to encourage pool players go to a bar to play pool (and drink beer). In addition to Hubbard and Bell, Louis Roberts (St. Louie Louie) joined the others as goodwill ambassadors and owners of the league. The purpose was to build brand loyalty through these pros showing up at local bars. It developed into a valuable business.

Louie left the partnership early on. There are two different versions of why Mr. Roberts departed. One story says he needed some quick cash and sold out to his partners. (Not a good financial move)! Some folks say he would show up drunk and stoned - something the brewery would not tolerate.

Thanks ManWon for sharing the poster. I had forgotten all about it.

Big Al

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago I saw a painting of some of the famous players in the first Negro Pool League, it was in a fellow collectors possession.
I believe the League was in New York , but as I said, it's been a long time.
I hope one day he will allow it to be shown, but I do understand his being protective of it also.