VNEA Rule Question - Is it a foul?

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A strange situation happened tonight that I'd like to get some clarification on.

Ed and Mike are playing VNEA handicap 8-ball. Mike is down to the eight ball, and Ed has one stripe left. The eight ball is in the jaws of a corner pocket, and the only ball Ed has left is the 11 ball which is sitting just about an inch outside of the jaws of the same pocket.

Mike intentionally fouls because he is not able to pocket his eight ball without first touching Ed's 11. Ed now has cue ball in hand. Ed is gripping the cue ball in between his index finger and thumb. He tries to squeeze the cue in between the rail and his 11 ball. But he makes a mistake and ever so slightly taps the 11 (his object ball) with the cue ball. (ball to ball contact) The tap is so light the 11 seems to move forward and then rock back into its original position.

Is this a foul? Does Mike now get cue ball in hand? Or does Ed present Mike with the option of moving the 11 ball back into place if he feels it has been moved?

Thanks!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Yes.

A strange situation happened tonight that I'd like to get some clarification on.

Ed and Mike are playing VNEA handicap 8-ball. Mike is down to the eight ball, and Ed has one stripe left. The eight ball is in the jaws of a corner pocket, and the only ball Ed has left is the 11 ball which is sitting just about an inch outside of the jaws of the same pocket.

Mike intentionally fouls because he is not able to pocket his eight ball without first touching Ed's 11. Ed now has cue ball in hand. Ed is gripping the cue ball in between his index finger and thumb. He tries to squeeze the cue in between the rail and his 11 ball. But he makes a mistake and ever so slightly taps the 11 (his object ball) with the cue ball. (ball to ball contact) The tap is so light the 11 seems to move forward and then rock back into its original position.

Is this a foul? Does Mike now get cue ball in hand? Or does Ed present Mike with the option of moving the 11 ball back into place if he feels it has been moved?

Thanks!

Yes to all three questions. It's also illegal to use any object to measure spaces between balls, balls and rails, etc.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the answer. I was reviewing the rules on the VNEA site this morning and found the answer as well. I'm sure I've read these rules 50 times but for some reason I didn't remember seeing this one:

Under the section "H. Fouling"
11. With cue ball in hand, touching any object ball with the cue ball is a foul or touching any object ball with your hand while touching the cue ball is a foul.