3 points

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Who would make a 3 point cue or blank, I've been turned down by a few I've asked

Perfer blank

Is it that much more of a pain in the ass than 4 points?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Interesting because doing 3 is 25% less involvement than doing 4.
Your number of points request may not be the reason that you haven't had takers yet.
Keep shopping for a builder. Someone will eventually come forward.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ask for a 3 pointed cue and you want the point bases to be close to each other, with conventional 90 degree cutters and square points, the grooves would have to be cut well past the center of the forearm. That would require some recutting and a little larger cutter than some might typically use.

If you don't mind the gap between the base of the 3 points to be wide, then it is straight forward and less work.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I should have said this in the op, but I wanted 3 points with 3 butterflies, Plus veneer , linen over the handle once finished

The gap wouldn't bother me

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
This is getting more interesting by the minute.
Are there any other pertinent details you'd like to disclose ?
I'm beginning to understand your difficulty in finding a builder.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Is inlaying 3 points and butterfies with veneer that much of a pain in the butt?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
What you request is a little more involved than a typical build and while there are
several builders in this country that could do this for you, it wouldn't be cheap.
You do have options and one would be to have the cue built in the Philippines.
I have seen cues such as you seek that have come from there.
If this might be of interest to you, I suggest that you contact AZ member 'JoeyinCali'.
I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
I've done three points with veneers and three point butterfly but never together.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Interesting indeed kj
As the blank that inspired this idea, sold for 750
I'm supprised at the lack of enthusiasm for this cue,
Guess it really is more of a pain in the butt than I knew originally for a Cue Maker

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
If it is the same $750 blank I am thinking of. It is a full slice with butterflies. Probably 500 makers can do it short splice. Only a very few can do a three point full splice.

Larry

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
But that's what Im saying, short will do, don't need full splice, it will get a linen

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ask for a 3 pointed cue and you want the point bases to be close to each other, with conventional 90 degree cutters and square points, the grooves would have to be cut well past the center of the forearm. That would require some recutting and a little larger cutter than some might typically use.

If you don't mind the gap between the base of the 3 points to be wide, then it is straight forward and less work.

Could a 120 degree cutter be used to avoid the pitfalls using the 90 degree cutter in this instance? I'd bet that the fixturing for cutting the veneer miters and points would have to be made just for this particular butt....

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
when you contacted me yesterday, i was busy with something,
sorry i didnt get to elaborate more when i said i did one but didnt like how it turned out.

here's what i didnt like about it
i cut in too deep on the forearm:rolleyes:
had i not gone in too far, there would have been a slight space in between each of the 3 bflys as there is on the buttsleeve.

never got around to doing another

if there were 3 points over the bflys, it wouldnt be visible
but i dont do points

Attachments

• 3pt6.jpg
    3pt6.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 583
  • 3pt5.jpg
    3pt5.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 564

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could a 120 degree cutter be used to avoid the pitfalls using the 90 degree cutter in this instance? I'd bet that the fixturing for cutting the veneer miters and points would have to be made just for this particular butt....

Yes on all accounts. Such a setup could be used for 4 points as well, allowing for the gap between the points to be very small without having to go near to the center. This idea probably falls under the "solution is worse than the problem" category. I'm sure someone has done this somewhere at some time, but I know of nobody who does it as their SOP.