Two Way Shots

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the pros and having played some against pros, it seems like even when they miss, they don't leave much of a shot for their opponent (unless the shot is just a complete muff). Obviously, this isn't by chance. Admittedly, I don't think much about two way shots but started thinking, perhaps I should more often.

How often do the elite players think about hitting a two way shot? It almost seems like they do it subconsciously or automatically. Since I obviously miss way more than they do, should I consciously start thinking more about two way shots? Do the pros even go so far as thinking about angles to their next shot that would allow them to play the two way shot more easily? Or is this just more situational when they realize their percentage of missing the shot is higher OR the opportunity for playing a two way shot is really easy to do?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player elects to shoot a two-way shot either because he got bad position on the shot or because his opponent left him in a bad position.

A player wouldn't intentionally play for an angle that gives him a two-way shot. Why would a skilled player intentionally create a low percentage shot just for a two-way opportunity? If it's not for a low percentage shot, then why would that skilled player intentionally set himself up for a high percentage shot but as a two-way in case he missed the high percentage shot?? No, that player expects to make a high percentage shot and certainly wouldn't intentionally get position to create a shot low percentage just for a two-way. It's not logical.

It's best to just try to get the best position on the shot that you can in order to comfortably make it and get to the next shot. If you're going to start planning on missing shots, you may as well play safe on every shot.