Who is currently the best "pool" player in the world right now

morris

Registered
I like Shane in 10 ball, possibly in 9 ball too. It’s funny he’s been dominating pool for the last 10 years number one on the money leader board year after year and for some reason everyone wants to forget about him! Don’t see anyone stepping up to play him in a race to 100.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like Shane in 10 ball, possibly in 9 ball too. It’s funny he’s been dominating pool for the last 10 years number one on the money leader board year after year and for some reason everyone wants to forget about him! Don’t see anyone stepping up to play him in a race to 100.

Obviously, Shane is great at ten ball, but let's see what happens at the Bigfoot 10-ball at Derby City. Jayson Shaw, who is number 1 on the money list in 2017, has won the last two of them, and he beat Shane in the final in 2016. Somehow, though, you want to forget about Shaw.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SHANE
DENNIS
ALEX

in that order PROVIDED rotation games (9B, 10B) are played with winner break format

SHAW has the best chance of crashing this party with FILLER and KACI looming on the horizon

Thats how I see it too. No offense to Shaw, but lets see if he keeps it going in the future, or fizzles out. He is firing on all cylinders right now, time will tell the tale. ;)

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw has showed steady and sustained improvement and is now at the top of the heap thanks to incredible shotmaking and now-solid tactical play. He is a deserving #1.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fizzle out? This guy is no flash in the pan.

I did not say he was a flash in the pan, I said time will tell. There is a difference.

There have been lots of players through the years, play top shelf pool for a time. Then they either just faded away, lost interest, life got in their way, they got tired of playing for peanuts, on and on and on with valid reasons.

If he keeps playing like he has the past couple of years, without doubt, you are looking at a HOF worthy player.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw has showed steady and sustained improvement and is now at the top of the heap thanks to incredible shotmaking and now-solid tactical play. He is a deserving #1.

True. A few years ago, some were singing his praises and I said he was unproven and I was not convinced.

Call me convinced. Now..doIT!

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best?

The best at tourn. play or for the cash.Take the so called best putting up there own money(the few that have it) and play a round robin 10 ahead the two best records can play it off. You can do it in each discipline. and have a over all or not.Otherwise its just opinions .

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If efren comes to the derby

Do you suppose I could get a price on him finishing in the top 10
of one pocket and top 20 in all around

i still can't imagine him not at the top

I had this same trouble thinking Ronnie Allen was still the best
after it was obvious to everyone else

It is still hard to believe anyone can beat Keith at 9 ball

Perhaps i should leave my bank roll at home when I
go to the pool room

Just the other day Gabe Owen was just a kid,winning
the DERBY and today some gunslinger who goes for
his hole more than I think prudent gave him 9/8 and beat him

Chicken one day,feathers the next

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That wasn't the question

No offense to Shaw, but lets see if he keeps it going in the future, or fizzles out. He is firing on all cylinders right now, time will tell the tale. ;)

The question was "Who is currently the best "pool" player in the world right now?".

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It goes in streaks doesn't it? Best player in the world currently is probably Shaw. A while back it was Mika Immonen. Then for a few years after him it was definitely Darren Appleton. Then SVB rose to the top. It's crazy to think about it in this way, but are Mika and Darren even favorites anymore in the large tourneys? Right now it looks like Shaw will reign for a few years to come. Granted this is all from tourney observations.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SHANE
DENNIS
ALEX

in that order PROVIDED rotation games (9B, 10B) are played with winner break format

SHAW has the best chance of crashing this party with FILLER and KACI looming on the horizon

Thats how I see it too. No offense to Shaw, but lets see if he keeps it going in the future, or fizzles out. He is firing on all cylinders right now, time will tell the tale. ;)

The question was "Who is currently the best "pool" player in the world right now?".

And I agreed with Adam. Shane, Dennis, and Alex are the 3 best all around players on the planet at this time IMO.

That is my opinion. Doesnt have to match yours. The earth wont implode if people have differing opinions. ;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best with an all around game rotation, 14.1 and one pocket I'd say Orcollo.