Anybody gave up the pendulum stroke for good?

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last year i took a couple of lessons from an instructor and was taught the pendulum stroke. i did this for almost a year but it was to no avail. i could not lengthen out my stroke, the timing was way off more often than on, and it was basically a year wasted in futility.
i studied earl's technique and have it pretty much down now. i'll never shoot as good as earl mind you all but i do at least feel better about myself in that my timing is waaay better regarding the addressing of the CB and stroke length has increased dramatically and i'm pocketing better. so now the game is more enjoyful. :):):)
anybody here like me just gave up on the pendulum and never looked back? and happier too? :):):)

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I use a pendulum with an extended elbow drop.
I suppose it sorta looks like Earl's, just way less accurate, powerful, or consistent...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timing of the final delivery stroke to the cue ball is one of the most critical aspects of great consistent play. Personally, I need to include a slight hesitation at the apex of my final backswing in order to deliver my stroke to the cue ball with consistent accuracy. Some folks can swing into the final cue ball hit without any hesitation and that works for their sense of timing. The difference from person to person has more to do with internal wiring than anything else - that is why there is no single method that is best for all. Rhythm, also unique to each person, is your internal clock that assists you in getting into your own most effective final delivery position most consistently. When our pool mechanics ( bridge, grip,sighting,etc.) are aligned correctly and your most effective,UNIQUE rhythm, timing, and stroke delivery are all in sync - you will be playing pool at your own highest level at that time. Great players have everything in sync more often than lesser players. When very good players are not playing well, very often it is a matter of realigning mechanics with rhythm and stroke delivery timing. This is true for most sports, such as pool, golf, tennis, baseball,shooting baskets, etc. Hand eye coordination, which is referred to so often is sports, is really just the ability to FOCUS at the moment of EXECUTION in a given sport. For pool, it means not "jumping" off the shot - which amateurs do way more than pros. Staying down on the shot COMPLETELY through stroke execution allows the shot to be successful most consistently. Many amateurs have good pool mechanics and stroke timing, but they "jump" off the shot way too often to be great players. Successful pool gamblers look for any of these inconsistencies when sizing up a potential mark- believe me.

Reactions: LC3

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have beenplaying pool for 65 years
and i don't even know what you guys are talking about
elbow,pendelum etc

i just see ball hit ball
ask for more weight until i finally win

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who was the instructor?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

last year i took a couple of lessons from an instructor and was taught the pendulum stroke. i did this for almost a year but it was to no avail. i could not lengthen out my stroke, the timing was way off more often than on, and it was basically a year wasted in futility.
i studied earl's technique and have it pretty much down now. i'll never shoot as good as earl mind you all but i do at least feel better about myself in that my timing is waaay better regarding the addressing of the CB and stroke length has increased dramatically and i'm pocketing better. so now the game is more enjoyful. :):):)
anybody here like me just gave up on the pendulum and never looked back? and happier too? :):):)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree

https://vimeo.com/77753947

That's me. I have no idea what kind of a stroke it is nor do I think about it for a second when I'm playing.

At about the 3:10 mark you drop your elbow quite a bit. Looks ok to me since you aren't playing Snooker, you are playing American Pool.

However, there are some that would have a cow when they see that.

Nice shooting.

r/DCP

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is some video stuff from strong couch(snooker) about that stuff.
around 17:00min - 21:00min

Whole video have really good stuff(Q&A video). Aiming, Lining the shot etc... first minutes(good) are for Snooker players only, I think. After they start taking questions.. Good Stuff. Clear demonstration too. Q&A video.
https://youtu.be/JZnJwRJNY1Y?list=PLLn9V3E56jPQW-aPraVZrTmQINJtIFyOt&t=1017

Odd that he says what he did when he knows it's not true. He obviously has seen Judd Trump play many times with a fixed elbow.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told at a very early age,
that anyone using the "pendulum" stroke
was worth at least a $100.
Lol. Just kidding. But, not really.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told at a very early age,
that anyone using the "pendulum" stroke
was worth at least a $100.
Lol. Just kidding. But, not really.

Well, you are free to try that out. Most pros don't drop the elbow before contact. Let us know how your sessions with them work out. ;)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Many pool instructors, including Scott Lee and the entire SPF school teach the pendulum stroke because its a easy to follow recipe for repeatable stroke. Elbow drop timing, wrist curls are some of the identifiable symptoms for stroke inconsistencies. Unfortunately, some people take these out of context.

It's one way of helping players elevate their game, without hitting a million balls (HAMB). Without some sort of guidance and instruction, its possible to stagnant and introduce bad habits.

elbow,pendelum etc

i just see ball hit ball

Last edited:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I agree

https://vimeo.com/77753947

That's me. I have no idea what kind of a stroke it is nor do I think about it for a second when I'm playing.

Looks like whatever stroke you are using, it works for you. Thanks for posting the video. It was fun watching it.

The only thing I would suggest is some background music.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
elbow,pendelum etc

i just see ball hit ball

There are many very good and also great players in every sport who cannot describe what they do to be so successful. There are also some players who are excellent at what they do and can verbalize and teach fundamentals of success, you are obviously not one of those from your quote, nothing wrong with either, both can and do co-exist in the sports world.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i studied earl's technique and have it pretty much down now.

Please do not call Strickland's way of stroking "technique" of any kind.
It's a huge pile of shit, it accidentially works for him, rather well too.
Never take another man's approach as a model.