Pros & New Cloth

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do pro players like to play on new cloth? Or would they prefer cloth that is just slightly worn in?

With the sliding that occurs on new cloth it seems to me that most pros would prefer cloth that isn't new.

r/DCP

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I would say that the pros that like playing on faster cloth with looser pockets would like new cloth better, since the balls slide into the pockets much easier on new cloth. But those that use a lot of inside english routinely and like tighter pockets, likely would not like new cloth. I in fact hate new cloth, because inside english doesn't grip or take well off the rails and the cue ball just slides around too much for my liking.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just so you're aware, new cloth is the normal when supplying new tables for a tournament, so it's not really an option to request broke in cloth most of the time, and only happens if the tables have already been used in prior tournaments.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably prefer faster/newer cloth to slower/older cloth because they have the touch to handle the speed and it gives them more options.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh boy. So much non-knowledge.

I know professional carom players.
They prefer so have very slightly worn in new cloth. The ball run smoothly, but effet takes more action on the rails. This is when a table really plays optimally.

New cloth is far too slippery at the rails, effet does not really take action.
But in tournaments you usually have to work with new cloth - and this is what you'll train to do: adapt.

They also say that new balls + new cloth = you can play flippers.

Cheers,
M

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such intelligencics. I am impressed.

Ya think maybe the fact that new cloths make balls go in the pockets WORLDS EASIER might be worthy of a smidge of some consideratoon?

Oh boy. So much non-knowledge.

I know professional carom players.
They prefer so have very slightly worn in new cloth. The ball run smoothly, but effet takes more action on the rails. This is when a table really plays optimally.

New cloth is far too slippery at the rails, effet does not really take action.
But in tournaments you usually have to work with new cloth - and this is what you'll train to do: adapt.

They also say that new balls + new cloth = you can play flippers.

Cheers,
M

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such intelligencics. I am impressed.

Ya think maybe the fact that new cloths make balls go in the pockets WORLDS EASIER might be worthy of a smidge of some consideratoon?
Yeah, the new cloth makes the corners play at least 1/4" if not 3/8" bigger than a table with 6-12 month worn cloth of the identical blend. This is particularly true on easier paced shots, sightly less so on hard hit shots.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the new cloth makes the corners play at least 1/4" if not 3/8" bigger than a table with 6-12 month worn cloth of the identical blend. This is particularly true on easier paced shots, sightly less so on hard hit shots.

Ueah...for a pool player, having to choose same table with new vs . old simonis...it is a no brainer.

Now that old 21oz rug? When that shit is new, time to go somewhere else for a week.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ueah...for a pool player, having to choose same table with new vs . old simonis...it is a no brainer.

Now that old 21oz rug? When that shit is new, time to go somewhere else for a week.
New or worn Simonis, both players have to play on the same table and deal with the same cloth / pockets, so what's it really matter?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I disagree with the 6-12 months part. My home table played noticeably more difficult after about a month of play. The balls stopped sliding in and reminded me who I am.

Agree otherwise.

I disagree with the 6-12 months part. My home table played noticeably more difficult after about a month of play. The balls stopped sliding in and reminded me who I am.

Agree otherwise.

With a screen name like “easy e” I would figure you would just lube those pockets up and shoot away. So there is your reminder. 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I can. It means
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a related note, do you think pros like to play with new pool balls or a 20 year old never-been-cleaned set from a bar?
What is the most popular glove color on the pro tour?
What is the best brand of socks to use when playing pool? Can your game go up a ball with good socks?
I changed to Duluth Trading Co. underwear and although I don't play any better, I am impervious to beaver attacks, so I got that going for me in case a herd of angry beavers storms into the pool hall. (no, I am not referring to ladies' league night)

Anyway, just trying to head a few off at the pass......

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree otherwise.
Yes, the pockets certainly start playing tighter after just a few weeks to a month, but my point was that as time continues to pass since the new cloth was installed, the pockets gradually play even tighter - particularly if they are tight pockets to begin with such as 4-1/2" or 4-1/4" corners. After a year's worn cloth on a tight pocket table, they become downright brutal!