Gold Crown VS Medalist

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and my poolbudy are looking into finally buying a table of our own.
We have found some deals, and we are weighting our options.

So far, the cheapest Gold Crown in good condition we have found is around 1,500euros (roughly $1,800). But we have found some Medalists for bellow 1000e, like 800euros (roughly $960). Almost half the price.

Most Gold Crowns we play at local pool halls have Artemis rails, all have Simonis 860.
If we get the Medalist, install Artemis rails and Simonis 860, will it play roughly the same as the Gold Crowns? Are there any differences playing wise?

mustang69hm

Registered
I've got a medalist myself, and play on GC's at the pool hall i shoot league. I can tell no difference between the 2 with the same felt and rubber.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play on both regularly. The main difference I notice is that on the Medalist balls will sometimes be spit out of the pocket. Literally in, then out.

I've been told it has to do with how the pocket liners, for lack of a better term, don't extend down to the ball return rails on the Medalist but do on the GC. Otherwise they are basically the same to me.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i can get a fiat for half the price of a Mercedes. both will get my to where i want to go the same. which should i get?

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gc- medalist

I just sold my 90's Medalist (10 years) and purchased GC-4....

THERE IS NO QUESTION THE GC IS THE WINNER IN ALL CATEGORIES

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can get a fiat for half the price of a Mercedes. both will get my to where i want to go the same. which should i get?

If the Fiat offers the same ride quality, then at this time I would choose the Fiat.
We are not looking for the extras at the moment, all we care about at this time is pure playability. That's why I don't think no side pockets castings is a dealbreaker for us. If it doesn't affect how the table plays, then we don't care.

The frame however could potentially play a role. RKC, could you please explain the differences of the two models that affect playability?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If the Fiat offers the same ride quality, then at this time I would choose the Fiat.
We are not looking for the extras at the moment, all we care about at this time is pure playability. That's why I don't think no side pockets castings is a dealbreaker for us. If it doesn't affect how the table plays, then we don't care.

The frame however could potentially play a role. RKC, could you please explain the differences of the two models that affect playability?

Yeah, a 2x6 stood up for the frame vs all the timber used to build a GC frame. It's like this, if i buy motorcycle tires rated to go 200mph...and put them on my moped, will it actually go 200mph?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
for a 1000 dollars difference you are going to regret it. take it from people that know. plus the setup costs will be the same and you will have an inferior table with much less resale.
save a penny now pay a dollar latter.

good luck on whatever table you pick though.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
One more thing you might want to consider is resale value. As long as you take care of the Gold Crown you should be able to recoup your investment, Im not so sure if you can say the same about the Medalist.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I had a medalist for years and now have a GC. The biggest difference is the one-piece long rail that RKC mentioned. When I had my medalist, I got it "upgraded" with new sub-rails and artemis cushions. It ended up costing as much as a GC, but I really liked not having to shoot over the side pocket metal. Otherwise, they played about the same. You could jump / masse / etc at the table was acceptable. If money is the driver, the medalist will definitely do you right.

I wouldn't worry about resale. If you buy an 800 table, you'll probably get close to that back if you keep it in good shape. Same for a 1500 table. You'll recoup most of that.

IMO, get the table that has the least issues. Even if that means putting up some extra $$ on the front end.

-td

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, what about GC3 vs GC4?
There is a chance we could find a deal on a GC3. The rubber is dead, but we were going to change the rubber anyway, and the cloth as well.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, what about GC3 vs GC4?
There is a chance we could find a deal on a GC3. The rubber is dead, but we were going to change the rubber anyway, and the cloth as well.

That's the move... GC3 with new rubber, some Simonis 860, maybe re-paint the sides,
you'll never regret it. Add a set of Centennial balls... the business!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
That's the move... GC3 with new rubber, some Simonis 860, maybe re-paint the sides,
you'll never regret it. Add a set of Centennial balls... the business!

What this guy said!
If you need any advice, I have restored quite a few Gold Crowns :thumbup: Doing the rubber is something you better make sure you can do right or pay someone that does know how. Same with installing the Simonis.

Trent from Toledo

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums