Notice to ebay sellers: Global shipping program may snag your cues!!!

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Ebay has this super legit feature called the global shipping program. On the seller side, you just tick this box saying you enroll in it, and basically you ship the package to this US sorting center where the buyer pays their fees to get the item sent off to wherever they are. Pretty neat and no funny business.

A few weeks ago I sold a handful of old one piece cues on ebay, and my buyer was international. I had checked the global shipping program option because it's no hassle on my side and opens up more buyers for my item. I ship them out to erlanger kentucky or wherever it designated me to and basically this is another easy transaction from ebay. Today I get a message from the buyer that the item is declared restricted and it has a message that it won't be shipping out from the sorting center. A few hours later, I get an email from ebay that the global shipping program has classified the item as restricted and it won't be shipping out international. It also says the buyer is being refunded and that I can keep the proceeds of the transaction.

I called ebay because this doesn't make sense. THe lady on the phone said since the item was declared restricted/not shippable that Ebay themselves refunds the buyer and I get to keep the money from the sale. The item now belongs to the people in the global shipping program and they can liquidate or destroy it at their pleasure. She also couldn't tell me why the item was declared classified or what the threshold might be to make a package restricted.

So all in all, not a horror story since me and the buyer are not out any money, in fact I still technically made the sale. But 6 great quality one piece cues with that old good wood in them are sitting in some massive warehouse now where they will live out a pathetic life before getting tossed in a dumpster. Word of warning to anyone who was considering using this program for their ebay account.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
ALL rosewoods are on the CITIES list now, not just Brazilian and Cocobolo. That means no international shipping period of any rosewoods.

Ebay has this super legit feature called the global shipping program. On the seller side, you just tick this box saying you enroll in it, and basically you ship the package to this US sorting center where the buyer pays their fees to get the item sent off to wherever they are. Pretty neat and no funny business.

A few weeks ago I sold a handful of old one piece cues on ebay, and my buyer was international. I had checked the global shipping program option because it's no hassle on my side and opens up more buyers for my item. I ship them out to erlanger kentucky or wherever it designated me to and basically this is another easy transaction from ebay. Today I get a message from the buyer that the item is declared restricted and it has a message that it won't be shipping out from the sorting center. A few hours later, I get an email from ebay that the global shipping program has classified the item as restricted and it won't be shipping out international. It also says the buyer is being refunded and that I can keep the proceeds of the transaction.

I called ebay because this doesn't make sense. THe lady on the phone said since the item was declared restricted/not shippable that Ebay themselves refunds the buyer and I get to keep the money from the sale. The item now belongs to the people in the global shipping program and they can liquidate or destroy it at their pleasure. She also couldn't tell me why the item was declared classified or what the threshold might be to make a package restricted.

So all in all, not a horror story since me and the buyer are not out any money, in fact I still technically made the sale. But 6 great quality one piece cues with that old good wood in them are sitting in some massive warehouse now where they will live out a pathetic life before getting tossed in a dumpster. Word of warning to anyone who was considering using this program for their ebay account.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ALL rosewoods are on the CITIES list now, not just Brazilian and Cocobolo. That means no international shipping period of any rosewoods.

What is worse is that it likely won't matter if it actually is rosewood or any other banned product.

They merely need to suspect it might be.

We have wood experts that constantly debate what a wood might be in the cuemaker forum here on AZB.

The "authorities" that screen shipped items are likely not even as good as our experts here on AZB.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think things are getting a little stupid....the wood on an old cue was legal.
Are they going to make old musical instruments illegal now...retroactively?

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like the perfect solution for the flooded cue market!! 😀😀😀😀😀

To hell with the giant bonfire idea. Cash 'em out!

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member

Didn't even think about this... probably the reason since some of the cues had pretty dark wood.

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think things are getting a little stupid....the wood on an old cue was legal.
Are they going to make old musical instruments illegal now...retroactively?

First thing to take a hit a few years ago.

Look what they did to Gibson.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used it recently to sell an expensive Surefire flashlight with batteries to a guy in the 'Russian Federation'. I shipped to Kentucky also, the whole deal was quick and without a hitch!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used it recently to sell an expensive Surefire flashlight with batteries to a guy in the 'Russian Federation'. I shipped to Kentucky also, the whole deal was quick and without a hitch!

So...we can sell tactical equipment to Russians but we can't sell pool cues?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying the rosewood's are done as far as cues are concerned? Hell that's WAY worse than the ivory ban.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying the rosewood's are done as far as cues are concerned? Hell that's WAY worse than the ivory ban.

CITES, in its infinite wisdom, has declared all Dalbergia species restricted, which includes all forms of rosewood, due to the fact that even though they may not themselves be endangered. Cocobolo, also known as "Black Rosewood", may look enough like these other species as to be "passed off" as one of them, so all are now restricted as "look-alikes". Cocobolo is listed on Appendix 3 where the others are now on 1 or 2, I think 2.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, no offense will be taken. It matters not; restriction is in place.

Do not send Cocobolo cues out of the country. Rosewood either.

Unless you like federal jack boots getting shoved up your lower backside.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CITES, in its infinite wisdom, has declared all Dalbergia species restricted, which includes all forms of rosewood, due to the fact that even though they may not themselves be endangered. Cocobolo, also known as "Black Rosewood", may look enough like these other species as to be "passed off" as one of them, so all are now restricted as "look-alikes". Cocobolo is listed on Appendix 3 where the others are now on 1 or 2, I think 2.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, no offense will be taken. It matters not; restriction is in place.

So when current supplies in the U.S. are gone that's it, no more at all? Or will it require some kind of crazy expensive permit?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you very much for this information. I'm in Canada and have known for years that I can't buy a cue with any Ivory (even if I wanted one), but I had not heard about Rosewood and Cocobolo, which are something I DO like.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thank you very much for this information. I'm in Canada and have known for years that I can't buy a cue with any Ivory (even if I wanted one), but I had not heard about Rosewood and Cocobolo, which are something I DO like.

Gideon, how the hell can they make this retroactive?
I've got plenty of woods in my collection that were perfectly legal when they were made.

I remember getting a $15 speeding ticket in the early 70s...am I going to get a letter that
says due to the new fine increases, I now owe an additional $153?

seems like a case for a class action suit....
...free legal opinions would be appreciated...:)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got plenty of woods in my collection that were perfectly legal when they were made.

I remember getting a $15 speeding ticket in the early 70s...am I going to get a letter that

This is a world-wide treaty. Legal action would be a colossal waste of time/$$$. Apparently the thirst for these woods in China is off-the-charts. Some are extinct or will be soon. Cocobolo has been on the list for yrs. Bringing it in requires paperwork and cost. I wouldn't worry unless you are are shipping overseas.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is a world-wide treaty. Legal action would be a colossal waste of time/$$$. Apparently the thirst for these woods in China is off-the-charts. Some are extinct or will be soon. Cocobolo has been on the list for yrs. Bringing it in requires paperwork and cost. I wouldn't worry unless you are are shipping overseas. There is something else now: http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/index.html Don't know if its a good cue wood or not.