AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am hoping for the following team this year:

1. SVB
2. Bergman
3. Sky
4. Thorpe
5. Oscar

Not only are they great players, they all have great attitudes. I think they would have good team chemistry which is something Europe always seems to have going for them.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am hoping for the following team this year:

1. SVB
2. Bergman
3. Sky
4. Thorpe
5. Oscar

Not only are they great players, they all have great attitudes. I think they would have good team chemistry which is something Europe always seems to have going for them.

Agreed, although I think the more likely lineup would be SVB, Sky, Hatch, Bergman, ? I think Hatch will be good for team chemistry. The last time he played he was MVP no? He played awesome and really displayed a lot of heart and humility.

KMRUNOUT

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed, although I think the more likely lineup would be SVB, Sky, Hatch, Bergman, ? I think Hatch will be good for team chemistry. The last time he played he was MVP no? He played awesome and really displayed a lot of heart and humility.

KMRUNOUT

Hatch's MVP year was 2009. He also played in 2010, 2012, and 2013. In that most recent appearance, he was on the losing side of all 5 matches in which he played. His career Cup record is 4-3 in singles, 5-7 in doubles, and 2-2 in teams.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If Shane keeps playing the way he has in MC we have zero chance. He is supposed to win most of his matches and he doesn't, with even a few going the other way we might be right back in it
Jason

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
Shane IS a great player, and I'm a fan, but he doesn't seem to do well at MC. He looks miserable as well, most of the time. I hope this year it will be different for him.
Bergman and Skyler were great last year, it almost looked like they were down at the hall, just playing a casual game, joking and having fun. Maybe their relaxed attitude will help the team this year

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up against it.

The U.S. team is up against it in the Cup. Europe has such a big talent pool to pick from compared to the U.S.

One thing that would help is if the 9 was racked where it belongs. If not then team USA needs to spend lots of time practicing the break.

As far as Shane goes, I agree, he has a tough time at the CUP and many expect him to be flawless and win most of his matches.

That does not mean any one from Europe is a better 9 baller then him.

If I was Shane I would want a break from it, it's not like he needs to prove any thing to any one about his ability to play rotation games.

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We go through this every year when talking about SVB at the Mosconi Cup. SVB is not a major favourite over anyone on team Euro in this format with short races, alternating breaks and 9b on spot. That's not a knock on on SVB (who I think is a favourite against everyone on that team - a slight favourite against Niels and Jayson and a bit more against the rest) but it's close. Yet people expect that he should win 70% of his matches. The add the fact that he knows he has to win to keep the US competitive and the pressure is really on.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane IS a great player, and I'm a fan, but he doesn't seem to do well at MC. He looks miserable as well, most of the time. I hope this year it will be different for him.
Bergman and Skyler were great last year, it almost looked like they were down at the hall, just playing a casual game, joking and having fun. Maybe their relaxed attitude will help the team this year
You're all forgetting Johan Ruijsink who is going to blast a force of positiveness an self-belief into the USA players. That's what he's done in the years that he coached the Euro-team, and now the USA will experience this.

I personally think, with the list of players in this topic (so: lots of young eager blood) and Johan's influence, this is the best shot USA has at this in a long time. I'm looking forward to it!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You're all forgetting Johan Ruijsink who is going to blast a force of positiveness an self-belief into the USA players. That's what he's done in the years that he coached the Euro-team, and now the USA will experience this.

I personally think, with the list of players in this topic (so: lots of young eager blood) and Johan's influence, this is the best shot USA has at this in a long time. I'm looking forward to it!

You forget Americans by nature dont wanna be told crap, especially from an outsider. In pool, players play and coaches talk to brick walls.
Jason

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
SVB looked pretty comfortable with Sky in the World Pairs....
...maybe he's adjusting to this team thing....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

True dat, but isn't he going to be co-captaining with Johnny Archer? Will Johnny have any input in the selection process?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB looked pretty comfortable with Sky in the World Pairs....
...maybe he's adjusting to this team thing....

Yep, I agree. The two of them looked good. They also have developed a bond, which is what Team USA has been lacking.

Previous Team USAs just haven't had that bond with each other. It's like they are happy to be there, but they just didn't have a team spirit as, say, Team Europe was. Team USA, especially in Vegas, each member goes their own way -- goes sightseeing, vacationing, as well as enjoying the other Vegas distractions, of which there are MANY.

Sky and Shane are good together. I also like Justin Bergman. He's playing a lot right now, so I hope he makes the cut.

I'm undecided on the remaining two. It's only July, so we all have a few months to figure out who we like best. Then again, what does it matter who we like? :grin-square:

Pangit

Banned
Have a couple Filipinos take on US citizenship kinda like the way Alex is Canadian. That would be a good start. :wink:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Kennedy, because his personality fits perfect with the atmosphere of the event. And he shoots good.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they.should all get mildly drunk before their matches.

Might be superpower. Definitely be American.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You forget Americans by nature dont wanna be told crap, especially from an outsider. In pool, players play and coaches talk to brick walls.
Jason
If that's the case, then USA deserves to lose. But I don't believe that's the case.

True dat, but isn't he going to be co-captaining with Johnny Archer? Will Johnny have any input in the selection process?
I did not know that. I can imagine a scenario where Johan focusses on the mental aspect (forging them into a team, getting them to believe they can do it, get the best out of them) and then Archer maybe working on the actual drills and stuff. And hey, Archer is no dummy. He can weigh in on team selection if he wants. ;)

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I agree. The two of them looked good. They also have developed a bond, which is what Team USA has been lacking.

Previous Team USAs just haven't had that bond with each other. It's like they are happy to be there, but they just didn't have a team spirit as, say, Team Europe was. Team USA, especially in Vegas, each member goes their own way -- goes sightseeing, vacationing, as well as enjoying the other Vegas distractions, of which there are MANY.

Sky and Shane are good together. I also like Justin Bergman. He's playing a lot right now, so I hope he makes the cut.

I'm undecided on the remaining two. It's only July, so we all have a few months to figure out who we like best. Then again, what does it matter who we like? :grin-square:

http://billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/mar_17/bb_index.php
Here is very interesting interview with Johann, its a good insight in his thinking regarding Mosconi Cup, SVB and team spirit. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If that's the case, then USA deserves to lose. But I don't believe that's the case.

I did not know that. I can imagine a scenario where Johan focusses on the mental aspect (forging them into a team, getting them to believe they can do it, get the best out of them) and then Archer maybe working on the actual drills and stuff. And hey, Archer is no dummy. He can weigh in on team selection if he wants. ;)

Too many cooks in the kitchen, IMO
The buck has got to stop at one man.

I still think Jay Helfert made the best offer....maybe next year.

Last edited: