What are your favorite tournament formats?

Hoopastank

Registered
What is your favorite tournament format 9-ball, 8-ball, 10-ball, One Pocket etc.?

Would you rather play on bar tables, or a 9ft table?

what is the minimum amount of added money that gets you interested in a tournament?

The final race, should it be one race say to 11, or should the loser of the B side have to beat the winner of the A side twice?

What do you all think?

-Joe

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think, i get in trouble.

Seriouisly. We talking weeknight event, weekend? One or 2 day? A title at stake?

Too many variables to respond.

Hoopastank

Registered
I think, i get in trouble.

Seriouisly. We talking weeknight event, weekend? One or 2 day? A title at stake?

Too many variables to respond.

Anything really, whatever you prefer! Just trying to get some insight of what players think! If you want to be more specific say a weekend tournament 2 day event.

Thanks!

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I work during the week, and I don't like to be in noisy bars with disgusting tunes from the jukebox, my preference is:

Start at noon on a weekday
Draw partner doubles, Not scotch
6 to 8 teams of two players (doubles)
Double elimination (aka #2?)
8 ball
Best of 3 game matches
Finish by 5:00
First place gets about half the pot.

Last edited:

Hoopastank

Registered
Since I work during the week, and I don't like to be in noisy bars with disgusting tunes from the jukebox, my preference is:

Start at noon on a weekday
Draw doubles
6 to 8 teams
Double elimination (aka #2?)
8 ball
Best of 3 game matches
Finish by 5:00
First place gets about half the pot.

When you say 6 to 8 teams, do you mean a team event, like teams of 3 players?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 day event at no more than 64 players. 9or 10b.

Start by 11.

Sets at least to 7with single set final.

Hoopastank

Registered
Tuff call.

I have won 100:1 on the money and sat thru a few that were dead.

I say that depends on the room.

I agree! If the person running the Calcutta is good at selling then it should make money. the average Calcutta we raise is about 2500-300 about 50-64 players in our room.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Anything really, whatever you prefer! Just trying to get some insight of what players think! If you want to be more specific say a weekend tournament 2 day event.

Thanks!

Single elimination with multiple sets. For example race to 8, 2 out of 3 sets. If it comes down to the third set you have to win by 2. There should be no such thing as a hill hill game for all the marbles.

You can run a tournament like thin with 32 or even more players in a weekend. I have run these types of tournaments and all loved it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as rotation/8b is concerned i'd prefer longer sets with winner break. I know that alternate-break may help field size but if someone can run a set more power to him.

Hoopastank

Registered
Single elimination with multiple sets. For example race to 8, 2 out of 3 sets. If it comes down to the third set you have to win by 2. There should be no such thing as a hill hill game for all the marbles.

You can run a tournament like thin with 32 or even more players in a weekend. I have run these types of tournaments and all loved it.

I have run tournaments with 32 + in a weekend. Actually it was ran in a day! We did not get don't until 6AM the next morning (so technically it was 2 days). No more of that I will bring back the top 16 or so for the next day. I have never done the single elimination with multiple sets, definitely going to try that format! thanks! I like the win by 2 as well!

Hoopastank

Registered
As far as rotation/8b is concerned i'd prefer longer sets with winner break. I know that alternate-break may help field size but if someone can run a set more power to him.

I agree, I like playing winner break. If someone runs the set out they deserve it! I am an average player, so alternate break does help the field size from the tournaments I have run, it also helps get some of the local APA/BCA players involved in the tournaments.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
The small 8 ball weekly tourney of 24 started a new format that has been more popular than the usual winners/loser brackets. It's a three loss and out.

Could run more players but limited on tables.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your favorite tournament format 9-ball, 8-ball, 10-ball, One Pocket etc.?

Would you rather play on bar tables, or a 9ft table?

what is the minimum amount of added money that gets you interested in a tournament?

The final race, should it be one race say to 11, or should the loser of the B side have to beat the winner of the A side twice?

What do you all think?

-Joe

9 ball on 9 ft. tables only, with no handicapping. Double elimination, races to 7/5 or 5/4, depending on the number of tables and the starting time. This is for weekly evening tournaments. Bar tables are a joke, and 8 ball takes too long if the balls don't get spread out on the break.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Singles
8 ball
Double elimination
Race to 7 winner/5 loser side
Alternate break
Table size dont matter
No Magic Rack
Calcutta only if they can get thru it quickly, I hate sitting around for an 1 1/2 hours for the calcutta

Hoopastank

Registered
9 ball on 9 ft. tables only, with no handicapping. Double elimination, races to 7/5 or 5/4, depending on the number of tables and the starting time. This is for weekly evening tournaments. Bar tables are a joke, and 8 ball takes too long if the balls don't get spread out on the break.

We do a lot of Bar table tournaments it tends to get some of the weaker players involved, These are bi monthly ones that I am able to get added money to usually. We did have a guy run a weekly one that was on the 9ft tables but it was handicapped. I want to move towards the 9ft tables in the coming tournaments that I do

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have run tournaments with 32 + in a weekend. Actually it was ran in a day! We did not get don't until 6AM the next morning (so technically it was 2 days). No more of that I will bring back the top 16 or so for the next day. I have never done the single elimination with multiple sets, definitely going to try that format! thanks! I like the win by 2 as well!

Win by 2 should be the standard for all pool tournaments. It is rediclous for two players to play a 90 minute match playing their hearts out ot have it who hill hill. Both players have proven themselves and deserve a fair chance to win the match.

I was at a tournament Grady did and that was the rule. The final was Buddy Hall and Mike Sigel. It went to 22, 20 if I remember right and was one of the most exciting match I ever watched as each player would get on the hill only to have the other come back and tie it. The audience was going crazy.