Eclipse..............

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This is my justin386 impersonation: " Will the eclipse cause my tip to play softer and will my $200 table play slower or faster? This has kept me up all night. Also, do cues purchased during an eclipse stay straighter longer? Any input would be great. J."

Since the blockage of the sun will suddenly lower the temperature, and therefore increase humidity, it stands to reason that your tip will play a bit softer, and your table will slow down as well. Both effects are momentary, pending return of the sun.

Also, due to the psychological effect of an eclipse, sharking in pool rooms will dramatically increase during that few minutes of the eclipse. Just something to think about if you're in the middle of a match.

In about 600 million years or so, none of this will be even debated, as the moon will not have the required orbit to totally eclipse the sun. So, these are important matters at the present.

All the best,
WW

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Toomey's Tavern on the Crik...Amityville, NY

Do you still live there, David?
....or did you
IMG_4589.GIF

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Justin386

Shafts made during an eclipse due tend to stay straighter because the gravitational pull of the moon is neutral.

As far as a table playing slower or faster......
I could see that the nap of the cloth could be pulled one way before the eclipse and would switch directions to the other way as the eclipse was ending.

Tip softness has much more to do with the alignment of the North Star to your current geographical position on the earth.
You must also factor in the altitude you are playing at.
Sea level air is thicker than air at a higher altitude.
The air inside the tip will determine the firmness of a tip.
You will need to adjust your stroke speed to compensate for these atmospheric, geographical and gravitational variables.

It's called simple atmospheric phenomena. Same think makes a junk cue into a "monster" hitter.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On a side note, an (unofficial) AZBilliards PSA:

Don't look at the eclipse without the proper glasses or you won't be able to hit those thin cuts anymore. Your skill level / Fargo rating will definitely take a hit. :smile:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never mind. I thought this was the Funny pic/gif thread... Blame it on the solar eclipse.

Last edited: