My ideal cue

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've been thinking a little bit on what I'd want for a custom cue, and the more I think about it, the more I realize I'd want an "all wood" cue.

The Idea would be the following:
Sneaky pete style cue, full splice, with possibly a wooden joint pin, if not a piloted small pin joint with NO joint collars. I'd want an old, straight grained shaft, and I'd like to try an OB-style wooden ferrule. Pin material chosen just for the balancing, as I have no preference for any specific material.

The reason for wanting a wooden ferrule being that I've tried the ferruleless, kind of liked it but was worried about splitting it. Also I like a ferrule because the ferruleless tends to get very dirty, and a wooden ferrule could probably be treated in a way to make it more resistant to chalk. I've also contemplated having the first inch laquered or epoxied. I've tried several OB cues, but did not like the hollowed out and whippy feel and don't want the plastic ferrule ones. Obviously they were also glued shafts, which I do not want.

Under no circumstance should there be any kind of pad on it, so maybe the OB style ferrule would have to be reinforced a little bit. Ideally I'd want a "tenon through" style ferrule if that is doable. The taper would need to be very stiff, more of a conical than a pro taper style, with a tip about 12.5 mm.

I've seriously considered having a house cue "re ferruled", maybe turned slightly down and extended, but the cost is probably as high as buying a cue made from scratch, and balancing options are limited.

The main reason for making this post is the choice of butt material. Since I live in Europe, it can't be made of any "controlled" woods. I don't like purple heart as it feels "dead" to me. Does anyone have a suggestion for a wood that is heavy enough to provide a natural balance, yet gives a lively hit? Obviously no Rosewood or Ebony and I don't think Cocobolo is legal either?

Does anyone play with a cue like this? Do you like the idea of the cue?

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, you may have some weight issues with your design thought. If you don't use any purpleheart, ebony, or rosewood, your cue may be, shall we say, on the light side, especially with wood joint pin. If that's ok, then no big deal.

However, how about the bottom of the cue. Is a phenolic butt plate out of the question, or for that matter, a rubber bumper? I've seen a fair number of all wood cues split at the bottom, with no protection.

You're also a bit vague on the shaft, if you insist on all wood. With the OB all wood ferrule, you are aware that they put a silicone, or silicone-like material inside the cored-out section of the ferrule, right? Well, that's not wood, either. If you only settle for wood, and a leather tip, it may be a bit of a challenge. But, it could be doable, just a few things to think about.

All the best,
WW

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, you may have some weight issues with your design thought. If you don't use any purpleheart, ebony, or rosewood, your cue may be, shall we say, on the light side, especially with wood joint pin. If that's ok, then no big deal.

However, how about the bottom of the cue. Is a phenolic butt plate out of the question, or for that matter, a rubber bumper? I've seen a fair number of all wood cues split at the bottom, with no protection.

You're also a bit vague on the shaft, if you insist on all wood. With the OB all wood ferrule, you are aware that they put a silicone, or silicone-like material inside the cored-out section of the ferrule, right? Well, that's not wood, either. If you only settle for wood, and a leather tip, it may be a bit of a challenge. But, it could be doable, just a few things to think about.

All the best,
WW

Thanks. I really didn't know that about the OB ferrule, I was kinda hoping it would be some kind of stacked/glued wood only. Hmm...Maybe I could have something like that made. I really don't want the carbon fiber pad, though it may be inescapeable.

As for the butt, maybe oak, though it may be too light. I'd be fine with a cue of 17,5-18 ounce weight.

A buttcap would be all right.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks. I really didn't know that about the OB ferrule, I was kinda hoping it would be some kind of stacked/glued wood only. Hmm...Maybe I could have something like that made. I really don't want the carbon fiber pad, though it may be inescapeable.

As for the butt, maybe oak, though it may be too light. I'd be fine with a cue of 17,5-18 ounce weight.

A buttcap would be all right.

No problem, it's not to say you have a bad idea; it's an interesting thought. I would think you might be more interested in a shaft with no ferrule, and no coring at all. Then, you work out the wood to make it a reasonable weight.

I would say this, though. All cues like this tend to be really rear-weighted, without the typical joint and pin, unless that shaft is a monster. Look forward to the result.

All the best,
WW

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
No problem, it's not to say you have a bad idea; it's an interesting thought. I would think you might be more interested in a shaft with no ferrule, and no coring at all. Then, you work out the wood to make it a reasonable weight.

I would say this, though. All cues like this tend to be really rear-weighted, without the typical joint and pin, unless that shaft is a monster. Look forward to the result.

All the best,
WW

Yes, the balance is a concern. Obviously I could choose a steel "big pin" to pull it forward a bit, but I'm not crazy about what that would do to the feel of the cue. Maybe the butt could be tapered sligthly differently, a larger joint diameter and maybe a straighter rear portion possibly hollowed out a little bit at the very end, though again it would make the cue light. It's not easy to overcome this problem, but like you said, a beefy shaft with dense wood (which is what I want to begin) with could also do the trick.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking a little bit on what I'd want for a custom cue, and the more I think about it, the more I realize I'd want an "all wood" cue.

Sneaky pete style cue, full splice, with possibly a wooden joint pin, if not a piloted small pin joint with NO joint collars. I'd want an old, straight grained shaft, and I'd like to try an OB-style wooden ferrule. Pin material chosen just for the balancing, as I have no preference for any specific material.

The reason for wanting a wooden ferrule being that I've tried the ferruleless, kind of liked it but was worried about splitting it. Also I like a ferrule because the ferruleless tends to get very dirty, and a wooden ferrule could probably be treated in a way to make it more resistant to chalk. I've also contemplated having the first inch laquered or epoxied. I've tried several OB cues, but did not like the hollowed out and whippy feel and don't want the plastic ferrule ones. Obviously they were also glued shafts, which I do not want.

Under no circumstance should there be any kind of pad on it, so maybe the OB style ferrule would have to be reinforced a little bit. Ideally I'd want a "tenon through" style ferrule if that is doable. The taper would need to be very stiff, more of a conical than a pro taper style, with a tip about 12.5 mm.

I've seriously considered having a house cue "re ferruled", maybe turned slightly down and extended, but the cost is probably as high as buying a cue made from scratch, and balancing options are limited.

The main reason for making this post is the choice of butt material. Since I live in Europe, it can't be made of any "controlled" woods. I don't like purple heart as it feels "dead" to me. Does anyone have a suggestion for a wood that is heavy enough to provide a natural balance, yet gives a lively hit? Obviously no Rosewood or Ebony and I don't think Cocobolo is legal either?

I've been interested in ferruless. Please let us know all about it if you do it, thanks.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had an urge to make a cue a few months ago and here is a link describing it. You can have one made by Schmelke and it won't break the bank.

The link below describes the idea and shows pictures of the finished cue.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?447538&p=5817893#post5817893

My cue is full-spliced purpleheart into an ebony forearm. I know you said you don't like purpleheart, but I used a G-10 pin and this cue may be the most "resonant" cue I have.

There are joint collars and a ferrule, but I'm sure they will make the cue any way you want it. They will also make the butt out of any wood they have available that you choose.

This cue has no metal in it, either.

It moves the ball really well.

I had them "hand select" the shaft wood from their stock and it is perfect. One of the smoothest and best pieces of wood I've seen in a shaft.

Call Schmelke and talk to David. I'm sure he can make something you will like.

This link shows some of their full-spliced butt blanks. You can have them custom make them in any combination you choose.

http://schmelkecue.com/pool-cue-making-supplies/cue-butt-stock-4-prong-spliced.html?limit=all

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I had an urge to make a cue a few months ago and here is a link describing it. You can have one made by Schmelke and it won't break the bank.

The link below describes the idea and shows pictures of the finished cue.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?447538&p=5817893#post5817893

My cue is full-spliced purpleheart into an ebony forearm. I know you said you don't like purpleheart, but I used a G-10 pin and this cue may be the most "resonant" cue I have.

There are joint collars and a ferrule, but I'm sure they will make the cue any way you want it. They will also make the butt out of any wood they have available that you choose.

This cue has no metal in it, either.

It moves the ball really well.

I had them "hand select" the shaft wood from their stock and it is perfect. One of the smoothest and best pieces of wood I've seen in a shaft.

Call Schmelke and talk to David. I'm sure he can make something you will like.

This link shows some of their full-spliced butt blanks. You can have them custom make them in any combination you choose.

http://schmelkecue.com/pool-cue-making-supplies/cue-butt-stock-4-prong-spliced.html?limit=all

Thanks.

Definitely thinking about it. It's by far the cheapest option, I think.

Hows the balance on your cue? I'm guessing the ebony pulls it forward quite a bit? It should be quite hard hitting as well?

I just had an idea, actually. I could have them make a "reverse" sneaky with the hardwood on the front. Maple with "some hardwood" nose...Interesting. Should solve the balance issue.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Why are you such a buzzkill?

:smile:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Why are you such a buzzkill?

:smile:

Buzzkill indeed...:wink:

I think it's a pretty interesting project, not as easy as some may think. Actually, the older carom cues probably come the closest to this project.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the result.

All the buzzkill best,
WW

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

Definitely thinking about it. It's by far the cheapest option, I think.

Hows the balance on your cue? I'm guessing the ebony pulls it forward quite a bit? It should be quite hard hitting as well?

I just had an idea, actually. I could have them make a "reverse" sneaky with the hardwood on the front. Maple with "some hardwood" nose...Interesting. Should solve the balance issue.

The balance is somewhere around the 18-19 inch point...about the same as my other cues.

I was actually thinking the front would be heavier than it is. The G-10 pin keep the front weight down a bit.

It doesn't hit "hard", in the sense I think of "hard", but it hits solid and moves the ball well.

If you want your cue to be more forward weighted, naturally, I would go with the heavier wood in the forearm and then have the butt made of maple.

You will not get a custom cue made anywhere for what you can get one from Schmelke and they will customize anything from tip to butt bumper. I don't think you can go wrong if you have any idea of what you want...I think they can make it.