8-Ball Rule Qeustion

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
I'm playing 8-Ball and I have solids, I shoot in the 7-Ball and hit the 4-Ball very very close to the corner pocket on the same shot, it's hanging there. On my next shot I'm shooting the 4-Ball and just as I contact the cue the 4-Ball drops, by the time the cue gets to the pocket there's nothing to stop the cue from going in and it scratches. What happens?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I'm playing 8-Ball and I have solids, I shoot in the 7-Ball and hit the 4-Ball very very close to the corner pocket on the same shot, it's hanging there. On my next shot I'm shooting the 4-Ball and just as I contact the cue the 4-Ball drops, by the time the cue gets to the pocket there's nothing to stop the cue from going in and it scratches. What happens?

You get shot by the guy you're playing who's had too many beers.

I think you reset the 4-ball and the cueball and shoot the shot again.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically in this type of situation the cue ball and object ball will be replaced to their positions prior to the stroke, and the player may shoot again.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that it would be a scratch. If the ball stood there for a good while and then fell as you took the shot then it could be argued that it was your motions while taking the shot that caused it to fall.

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hanging_ball.png

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And it's a re-do under WPA (world-standardized) rules as well.

• 1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best answer yet!😜

I know,I'm wrong about rules almost every Friday."Yes,sir.I now do recall that the player holding a broken bottle to my neck gets ball in hand.I'll have to read the rules better next time."

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
The only correct answers are:
1. Don't play anymore 8-ball
2. Don't play anymore in a bar
3. #1 + #2

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'm sorry Skippy. Are you the type who rolls into a pool hall and walks past 20 - 9 foot Diamonds to play on the Valley BB in the back?

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok what do you do on a bar box that keeps balls that go down? Just curious I really don't
play on barboxes any more.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The only correct answers are:
1. Don't play anymore 8-ball
2. Don't play anymore in a bar
3. #1 + #2

Love it!....
To the OP:
If your on a coin op table it's gotta be a scratch.
Some "rules" really suck when you can't spot the ball up.
Go on "free play" night!

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so what would happen if your ball is hanging in a pocket and I'm on the eight ball and call it to the spocket where your ball is hanging.
I shoot the eight ball and your ball falls in before the eight ball gets there and then the eight goes in. Did I win or do they get respotted?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
so what would happen if your ball is hanging in a pocket and I'm on the eight ball and have it straight in to the pocket where your ball is hanging.
I shoot the eight ball and your ball falls in before the eight ball gets there and then the eight goes in. Did I win or do they get respotted?
Respotted.

... If a settling ball falls
into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. ....