Do you prefer stiff or flexible cue shafts, and why?

Do

• extremely stiff shaft, with very little flex

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • medium to stiff shaft, with little flex

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • medium stiff shaft with medium flex

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • medium to flexible shaft with more than average flex

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • extremely flexible shaft with plenty of "whip"

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the one in between or on softer side, tried pretty much everything on the market and super stiff shafts just dont have feedback for me, like hitting the cue ball with the stone

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Completely subjective...I like something medium-stiff, like a Schon. Too stiff is flat, don't like the feedback or the action. Too whippy is just that, I personally get too much unintended spin. I have a GEM cue that is really whippy, didn't like it at first, but got used to it and man could that cue juice a cueball! Now I play with a Gulyassy SPTX shaft that is just stiff enough. All the action I could ever want, but only when I want it.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like stiff shafts and hard tips. I want as much of my stroke as possible to be transferred to the cue ball.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I have limited experience, but so far I'd say I'm "In Between".

I'd appreciate knowing anyone's opinion of the following:

I have two OB shafts: the OB1 which OB calls a "soft, quiet hit" with the OEM Everest tip (75.7 on the Pooldawg durometer scale at http://www.pooldawg.com/article/pooldawg-library/the-ultimate-pool-cue-tip-guide

The other is an OB Classic which OB calls a "firm, crisp hit". It originally came with a Kamui Medium (78.7 on the durometer) but I didn't like the hit; it felt like I was hitting with a steel rod. I changed to a Kamui Super Soft (67.5 on the durometer) and like it a lot.

I really can't tell a lot of difference between the two shafts now. The OB1 is flexible with a medium-hard tip and the Classic is a stiff shaft with one of the softest tips.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
To be honest it's not like I ever tried bending cues to the point of the wood starting to crack,
or filming in slow mo to see how much it curves after I strike the cue ball.
So how would I (or anyone else) know how flexible any given shaft is?

I think it's likely that most LD shafts are pretty flexible, as they're hollow at the end and
at least one has a sort of rubber core. So I guess since I like those shafts, I like flexibility.

But supposedly it's all about reduced endmass and I can imagine a shaft having low endmass
but still being pretty rigid, at least everything except the last 5 inches or so.

I've met a lot of people with misconceptions on flexibility. They think a noticeable vibration after the hit
means the shaft is whipping back and forth like a spring, and therefore the shaft is flexible.
But really it's the super stiff shafts that give a lot of feedback and vibration on each hit.
The flexible ones cushion the hit.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
To be honest it's not like I ever tried bending cues to the point of the wood starting to crack,
or filming in slow mo to see how much it curves after I strike the cue ball.
So how would I (or anyone else) know how flexible any given shaft is?

I think it's likely that most LD shafts are pretty flexible, as they're hollow at the end and
at least one has a sort of rubber core. So I guess since I like those shafts, I like flexibility.

But supposedly it's all about reduced endmass and I can imagine a shaft having low endmass
but still being pretty rigid, at least everything except the last 5 inches or so.

I've met a lot of people with misconceptions on flexibility. They think a noticeable vibration after the hit
means the shaft is whipping back and forth like a spring, and therefore the shaft is flexible.
But really it's the super stiff shafts that give a lot of feedback and vibration on each hit.
The flexible ones cushion the hit.

You can bend your cue shaft carefully to see if it is flexible. Also you feel the flexibility in the hit. But how much the shaft bends is probably not the only important factor, it is probably also important how much "spring" it has. Many of the modern shafts have carbon fiber cores. Carbon fibre fishing rods are much springier than for instance fibre glass or wooden fishing rods. Some day someone will find a way to use carbon fiber in pool cues that actually works and we will be in for a revolution.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I judge the cue's "flex" when I chalk. With a flexible shaft I can see/feel the shaft flex in my hand. My stiff shaft doesn't do that.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This is an old thread but I thought I would chime in.

Over the years, I have tried whippy shafts and stiff shafts.

I have attempted to remove all subjective thinking when evaluating cue shafts and I try to look at how the shaft performs rather than how I THINK it hits, feels or looks.

It hasn't always been easy to do this and I have kind of trained myself to ignore looks, feel, hit, size, flexibility, color, grain, tip et cetera.

Over the years I have accumulated about 8 different shafts for my POW-MIA Mike Bender playing cue, each shaft with its own particular characteristics and strengths.

Now I play with an entirely different cue which is about as different looking and stiff hitting as you will find anywhere. I helped with the design of the cue and I now have three of them in different colors.

These cues are only prototypes and I haven't decided if I will ever mass produce them because they are a pain in the ass to make. They're made of DymondWood and that's about all I will ever say about them but I truly believe that they are the best playing cues in the world. I have a light colored one, a dark purple one and a dark green one. All three of the cues perform consistently well, but they are stiff hitting cues. The cues perform so consistently well that I have named them THE PERFORMANCE CUE. It is a low deflection cue, despite the properties of the DymondWood. I have started the expensive process of patenting THE PERFORMANCE CUE. On a side note, I have had incredible luck in recent months, playing with these cues, cashing in many local and regional events. I will be trying my hand at some larger events in the near future as I dial in to the playing characteristics of these cues.

The bad news is the supplier who makes this particular wood is now out of business. Their entire plant burned to the ground just a few days ago and who knows if they will ever return to the marketplace or when. 170 people out of work and no time table or plans to rebuild the plant that I have read about and bring you up to date.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in about stiff shafts versus flexible shafts.

JoeyA (stiff, as in not flexible) :D

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
i chose the one in between them all. bc everything is better in between. the shft, the brain, the filling, the _____________.;);)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
No "Meucci fan" here. Can't stand the whip !

When you get left long & thin, you'll wish you had something stiffer than a Meucci.

My playing shaft has very little to no flex in the shaft. I know there is some on all shafts, but I like a minimal amount.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
altho it takes more time for me to get tuned in to a mid deflection shaft , i can do alot more with it then a stiff Low deflection shaft or a "whip" .

Eurotroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can bend your cue shaft carefully to see if it is flexible. Also you feel the flexibility in the hit. But how much the shaft bends is probably not the only important factor, it is probably also important how much "spring" it has. Many of the modern shafts have carbon fiber cores. Carbon fibre fishing rods are much springier than for instance fibre glass or wooden fishing rods. Some day someone will find a way to use carbon fiber in pool cues that actually works and we will be in for a revolution.

someone took your idea...