New McDermott iPRO Shaft

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/ipro-hi...utm_medium=Right-Nav-Banner&utm_campaign=iPro

Just saw that McDermott is soon releasing a new shaft and break cue (Sledgehammer)

Has anyone else seen this? Looks like a nifty, new shaft.

As someone who first started owning a McDermott cue, it seems like they're trying to move up in the market with quite an expensive shaft (MSRP: $359).

Will be curious to see those who buy this and try it out... but I can't see myself paying that much for a McDermott shaft (even though I just spent that amount on a Mezz EX Pro shaft, which is the absolute nuts if you enjoy LD shafts)

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/ipro-hi...utm_medium=Right-Nav-Banner&utm_campaign=iPro

Just saw that McDermott is soon releasing a new shaft and break cue (Sledgehammer)

As someone who first started owning a McDermott cue, it seems like they're trying to move up in the market with quite an expensive shaft (MSRP: $359).

Will be curious to see those who buy this and try it out... but I can't see myself paying that much for a McDermott shaft (even though I just spent that amount on a Mezz EX Pro shaft, which is the absolute nuts if you enjoy LD shafts)
I have 3 McDermotts, D-1, D-2, and a D-3 from the mid-80's, might be interesting to mix the best of the old with the er, er, well,,, lets just say the new! lol

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member

looks like a chineese 8 ball shaft Ive been waiting to see more carbon fiber ferules.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ipro

I played with the Ipro at the BCA expo it was ok. Nice little low deflection shaft. It felt stiff not that different from most low deflection shafts. It is multiple pieces radially spliced unlike the other I series which I believe are a regular maple shaft cored with a carbon fiber tube and balsa.

The tennon is on the ferrule not shaft which isn't my favorite thing from a repair point of view. I believe it's a balsa core in the carbon fiber.

They said it can be turned down to as small as 11.75 from 12.5 and that won't void the warranty as long as they do it. I did ask if the threads are phenolic but forgot what the McDermott guy said.

The taper felt almost identical to my ob2+

Bottom line if you are used to a LD shaft you will not notice anything all that different here.

Last edited:

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with the Ipro at the BCA expo it was ok. Nice little low deflection shaft. It felt stiff not that different from most low deflection shafts. It is multiple pieces radially spliced unlike the other I series which I believe are a regular maple shaft cored with a carbon fiber tube and balsa.

The tennon is on the ferrule not shaft which isn't my favorite thing from a repair point of view. I believe it's a balsa core in the carbon fiber.

They said it can be turned down to as small as 11.75 from 12.5 and that won't void the warranty as long as they do it. I did ask if the threads are phenolic but forgot what the McDermott guy said.

The taper felt almost identical to my ob2+

Bottom line if you are used to a LD shaft you will not notice anything all that different here.

Did they say anything about price or when it will be released?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea

It was around $360 msrp as for date I got the impression it's shipping really soon. I am not a McDermott dealer so I was just playing around in the booth but seemed like I could get one there.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son played with one of these shafts at BCA show while we were there for Jr Nationals, he did not like it enough to replace his OB shaft but he said it had a good hit and deflection was about the same as the OB shaft. He played with it for several minutes so it was not that bad of he would have stopped. I guess if you are looking for an LD shaft, it would be as good as an of the others to try out.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott said:
Octadic Laminated Shaft Construction

The Octadic Laminated Shaft Construction features eight spliced pieces of premium maple that are bonded together to form our most radial consistent shaft yet. This construction method drastically reduces the performance inconsistencies caused by natural wood grain. This technology maximizes energy transfer from the shaft into the cue ball at impact, allowing you to generate a higher spin rate while hitting closer to center cue ball.

Not sure about anyone else, but I would prefer to be able to hit it slightly off center and not have the stinking cue ball spin at all.

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe the patent for that tenon was approved.

The Patent office sux's

I could probably patent "a method to glue leather to wood" and it would be approved, then I'd sue every pool player that puts on a tip. I'll make millions!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, you have to get better at reading patents if you are going to call foul on every Predator patent and Mcdermott patent;)

Carefully reading through claim #1, the crux of the claim seems to be about a removable insert under the tip, to get different playing characteristics.

Not claimed, is simply the tenon being part of the ferrule and going inside a hole in the shaft.

Also as mentioned earlier, this patent expired in 2007 due to lack of paying the maintenance fees.

It is clearly a marketing tactic to put the long expired patent number on the joint collar of this shaft released in 2017.